Author Topic: remembering wee mcdonnell street  (Read 5773 times)

Maymac

Re: rememb ering wee mcdonnell street
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2019, 06:35:41 PM »
Knew them all and all their families  Just hear from Jackie Kennedy around Christmas He,is the only one left of his family Joe is enjoying retirement and taking life easy Children were one thing never in short supply around that wee street

GandT

Re: remembering wee mcdonnell street
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2019, 01:00:39 PM »
Some years ago I out in a post looking for information on men who had worked with my friend and me in McAlevey's bookies back in the 60s and early 70s. One was a guy called Jackie Higgins who lived off the Falls [can't remember the street] and was a member of the Hibs club there. Another was a man called Jackie Morrison and, to my memory, he lived in McDonnell Street or maybe was there a street called Malcolmson Street?

My friend who has lived in England for over 40 years keeps asking if I have ever heard of what happened to either and I have never been able to trace news of these or any others of our former work-friends from that area

Maymac

« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2019, 01:43:10 PM »
MC Donnell St was quite a long street ran from the "wee" end at Grosvenor Rd to Albert St  I left in 1963  and only remember that people who ran the corner shop the woman's maiden name,was Morrison There was a Malcolmson St but with all the regeneration not sure if it still exists The Morrison lady's family,came from the Markets area

Falls

« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2019, 02:27:27 PM »
Malcolmson street off Springfield road is still there.It faced Springfield road police station which was demolished to make way for homes.

brisamar

« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2019, 04:58:04 PM »
Yes think Fusco's alternative name was The Eiffel Tower Cafe. Very trendy in those days but alas no accordion music ambience or can can dancing. Although it did have an obvious definite Italian flavour. Talk was  the family had somewhere with orange groves in Italy to travel back to.  I remember Angelo and Carlo and Rosanna and the youngest daughter Maria who was friendly with my sister Vera. Then there were local girls who the family married.  Mary and Sadie ring bells. Tony Fusco had a shop on the corner of Devonshire Street and Albert on the Falls. The chips and fish were superb and the service excellent with kids treated with great care and respect.  Carlo used to play for Distiillery FC and was great fiends with Ivan Martin of local radio fame whose mum had a newsagents shop across the road. Always remember Christmas time at Fuscos when kids had a few bob to spend / Can till taste the Knickerbocker Glory ice cream (big spoon involved).  Although A Victor Angelone's smokie on Divis Street gave it a good run for its money.
Was the chip shop not at the bottom of Elizabeth Street, Grosvenor Road facing Rogers Stores???

Maymac

« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2019, 06:05:57 PM »
I thought Malcolmson St was off The Springfield Rd but many years have gone since I passed it on my way to The Springfield dam with a jackpot to catch spricks  A lady I met this year told me there are apartments where Barney Hughes used to be 

Maymac

« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2019, 06:18:50 PM »
PHIL Fusco had a chip shop corner of Wee McDonnell St and Grosvenor Rd The one on corner of Elizabeth St was his son Tony's,shop another son Alberto had chip shop on Falls Rd, Lovely fish and chips  and   service with pleasant manner

boxer1949

« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2019, 12:06:46 AM »

boxer1949

« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2019, 12:10:02 AM »

Maymac

« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2019, 01:01:34 PM »
Thanks for the photo can just see the old homestead It was the last of the two up two downs on that side The next few  houses going towards Fusco's were bigger they had a parlour  a return room and an attic