Author Topic: remembering wee mcdonnell street  (Read 1577 times)

Maymac

Re: remembering wee mcdonnell street
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 08:24:57 PM »
The hot peas were not too popular at 139 and I reserved my sampling for the jellied veal and elder from Co Op across the Grosvenor Rd Never heard a child complain "  I'm bored "  in wee Mc Donnell St late 40s and 50s plenty of company and free to play and roam Briggs did you like elder and jellied veal l know you had a fair GRA for Morellis pasties

briggs

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 01:48:24 PM »
Maymac.  I had to look up elder to see what it was (yuk).  Jellied veal was eaten and enjoyed but knowing what is now I wont be rushing out to buy it as a tea time snack any time soon.  Mario Morelli  was in my class a school but alas I never got a discount on a pastie.  Believe it or not we made a special trip up to John Longs in Athol street on Thursday last and really enjoyed a fish supper and pastie supper with a batch loaf slice of bread with a mug of tea. Potato scallops were on the menu as well so that requires another visit as very few if any chippies do them now.  Long's hasn't changed a bit over the years and was definitely a trip down memory lane that was well worth it.

Maymac

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 07:40:12 PM »
Hi Briggs didn't know the truth about elder for a long time  but was told by an "udder" person still thought it tasty and didn't put me off . There were other gastronomic and culinary delights in "wee" Mc Donnell St but they will keep for another time ,Had lunch today in the city by the Lee and elder wasn't on the menu Loved Johnny Longs so long ago 

Jack The Kipper

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 07:32:31 AM »

Was Longs chippie once in Albert St?
God bless President Trump.

Maymac

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 03:41:15 PM »
There was a chippie in Albert St I only knew it as "Francies " it was near Quadrant St good fish and chips and one called Holdens ? Was  on the other side of the road . May be wrong but I had a notion Johnny Longs was once in Durham St 1950s  so long time ago

briggs

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 07:43:16 PM »
Longs website says going for a hundred years so assume was always there in Athol Street.  Was certainly there in the 50s as I remember was famed for its fish and i was sometimes sent there just for that delicacy.  Building has to be 100 years plus at least. Check the website they have some famous customers on their appreciation list.

briggs

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 08:02:42 PM »
On the subject of local chippies cant forget to mention Stanley McAlinden's in Roden street.  Used to stop of there on the way to from the Windsor Cinema on the Donegal Road in the mid sixties for a pie. Another post tells me that Stanley was married to Antonia Leighio. Leighios had an ice cream shop in Roden street as well. Stanley's children Vicky and Benny were frequent visitors to McDonnell Street as they were fiends of the Kennedy's at 104.

briggs

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 08:23:15 PM »
P.S .Athol Street would be just off Durham Street

Maymac

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 08:46:46 PM »
Leighios ice cream was the real deal other chippies nearby were Malachy Morgan's In Leeson St and Charlie Malioccos near Dunville park where one old penny bought a cup of OXO / Bovril  and a slice of bread .. I'm sure that would go down a treat with kids today

briggs

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 05:27:30 PM »
Talking of ice cream and cinemas reminds me I used to get into The Arcadian (the Ark) for free in in Albert Street for delivering my last Belfast Telegraph to them as part of my delivery round for Nelsons Newsagents on the Grosvenor Road. 6 Nights a week of tele delivery plus the Ireland's Saturday Night sports  paper earned me 10 shillings (50p in today's money). Randolf Scott and Audie Murpphy have a lot to answer for in terms of missed dinners.

[size=78%].  [/size]

Maymac

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2019, 03:05:14 PM »
Mrs Nelson  would sometimes request me to go to Rooneys shop to purchase "a cutting loaf " this was slightly stale bread as fresh bread gave her husband indigestion also delivered Belfast Telegraph  and  "TheUlster " my wages were half  a Crown Two Shillings and Sixpence Rooney's shop was corner Mc Donnell St and  Leeson St this was about  1952

briggs

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2019, 08:00:11 PM »
Vaguely remember getting a real Christmas tree of Sarah Rooney's shop and seeing freshly churned butter in the window. No sell buy dates in those days. Her son Sammy did our electrical repairs at great personal risk given the state of wiring in Victorian terraced housing, Lottie Sloane's on opposite corner  provided drapery services and an old lady called Maggie Doyle who lived there used to provide candy apples for local kids at Halloween.

Maymac

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2019, 07:24:29 PM »
Sarah Rooneys shop also sold arrowroot biscuits they were stored in a tin which looked as if it had survived the great war three pence worth of these mashed up with milk provided supper for a baby . No jars or tubs of readymade baby food seventy years ago . The butter was so delicious it sold out very quickly  . We called it "country  butter "

briggs

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2019, 10:04:02 PM »
Rooney's eventually became Jimmy Sloan's Shop. His daughter Margaret taught in Slate Street.School.  Jimmy used to live in McDonnell Street opposite the shop. So he made good in terms of enterprise etc. Jimmy had one of the first TVs in the street.  I remember looking through the window at it enviously. Mary McAuley at 143 had a set as well so kids got to see black and white tv children's hour at her invite. A very gracious lady who loved cats. Our first tv was an impressive 14 inch screen (rented of course).  Fondly remember having to to hold the ariel aloft and wiggle it constantly to get a decent picture for the midnight movie. Those were the days.

Maymac

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2019, 05:53:21 PM »
Most of these small shops had " the book " system where people bought what they needed through the week  and paid when "the wages " came usually on Friday  . Clothing and footwear  obtained with weekly payments as most people were not flush with ready cash Another establishment which played a part in local lives was the pawn shop the one on the corner of Mc Donnell St  and Grosvenor Rd  had the grand title of The West End Loan Office to us children it was a never ending source of pennies for the gas meter and Brown paper to back the school books