Author Topic: Duncarn Pipe Band/North Belfast Pipe Band  (Read 1368 times)

drmmjr

Duncarn Pipe Band/North Belfast Pipe Band
« on: May 27, 2015, 05:25:26 AM »
Hi
I lived in Collyer St and was a member of the Duncairn Pipe Band. Now am in West Australia. I read recently that some of the members were appointed Pipe Major (Jackie Moore) and Pipe Sargent (His brother Billy) of Nth Belfast Pipe Band. Jimmy Moore (younger brother) was an all Ireland champion drummer when he was 15. When I knew them they lived in Rathcoole.
I was hoping that someone might know them, or any other members, or people from the area, interested in reminising or making contact.

cmartin802

Re: Duncarn Pipe Band/North Belfast Pipe Band
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 02:59:36 AM »
hi my name is christine cooper  i was christine milligan  my dad was james milligan and my uncle harry was the drummer aso my grandad was geore millan i would love to know who you are please contact me  christine

harrydunn

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 03:13:28 PM »
Hi
I lived in Collyer St and was a member of the Duncairn Pipe Band. Now am in West Australia. I read recently that some of the members were appointed Pipe Major (Jackie Moore) and Pipe Sargent (His brother Billy) of Nth Belfast Pipe Band. Jimmy Moore (younger brother) was an all Ireland champion drummer when he was 15. When I knew them they lived in Rathcoole.
I was hoping that someone might know them, or any other members, or people from the area, interested in reminising or making contact.
[/quote

I worked with Billy and Jackie for over 20 years before retiring, haven't seen either of them for some time I do know Jackie is living on O'Neill road Newtonabbey Billy lives not too far from him in Cloughfern Estate a few other pipers worked with us
Davy Mc lean also known as Tommy was pipe Major of Woodburn pipe band in Carrick died some years ago, also Brian Skelton played in North Belfast.

drmmjr

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 01:57:17 AM »
Hi Christine
I didnt think I would ever get a reply?

I was in the band with Jim, Harry (tap drummer) and your grandfather was the President. I joined in 1961. Lived next to the Fells in Collyer St - Wilson Fell also joined later on the pipes, I on the drums. I was only 8-9 when I joined and left for Australia in 1967. Other members I recall were Harry Doake (mailman) Jim Moore (drm) Jackie & Billy Moore pipes, Buttons on tenor - lived at the top of Mackay St on the opposite side to Milligans.

I'm thinking that you would be to young to remember me!

If you send your email address, I will give you personal details.

Regards

Drmmjr

R_monty

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 03:25:24 PM »
Hi christine.
My dad robert montgomery played the bass drum for a while and harry and jim were his uncles. My granny was violet montgomery or bertha as she was better known.
I took up the pipes myself as i knew they ran in the family and i'm getting on well out in broughshane. A catch up or a bit of a chat to find out a bit of the families band history on facebook would be great. Many thanks
Ryan.