Author Topic: LIGONIEL - Ewart's Mill  (Read 7759 times)

LIGONIEL - Ewart's Mill
« on: June 09, 2015, 01:02:46 AM »
Hi all, would anyone have or know where I can get a photograph of Ewart's Mill, Ligoniel?  I've tried the usual haunts, but can't seem to find one.  Your help as always, is very much appreciated.  17124

Clint

Re: LIGONIEL - Ewart's Mill
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 11:23:04 AM »
Thanks for your reply Clint, I have seen this photo but think it that not Wolf Hill mill? 

Patsy-Ann

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 01:02:12 PM »
Thanks for your reply Clint, I have seen this photo but think it that not Wolf Hill mill?

Are you looking for a pic of  Glenbank Bleach Works as it was known when I worked for Ewarts? I think the above pic is correct.
We make a living by what we get...We make a life by what we Give.

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 01:38:26 PM »
Hi Patsy-Ann, thanks for your reply ... this is where i need the help.  The mill was only ever referred to as Ewart's mill in our house.  Looking at photo posted by Clint, it looked to me as it was taken from up the hill?

Patsy-Ann

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 02:04:56 PM »
Hi Patsy-Ann, thanks for your reply ... this is where i need the help.  The mill was only ever referred to as Ewart's mill in our house.  Looking at photo posted by Clint, it looked to me as it was taken from up the hill?

I was secretary to the Chief Engineer of Ewarts. The had several mills/factories and the Glenbank Bleach Works was called that. It was beside the dam and the Mill Social Club was fairly close. If you mean the mill/factory on the Crumlin Road that is entirely seperate to the Bleach Works. There are pic for Ewarts Mill available. Hope this assists you :)

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 02:22:20 PM »
Patsy, would a Reeler have worked at the Glenbank Beach works?

Patsy-Ann

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 05:13:12 PM »
Patsy, would a Reeler have worked at the Glenbank Beach works?

I think the reelers reeled the yarn onto cones for the weavers. There are a lot of names floating round my head and am trying to piece the different parts of the mill and factory. I was never up at Glenbank so cannot picture it at all. Sorry I am not much help. What year roughly are you interested in? I was there in the 60/70'

Patsy-Ann

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 05:37:56 PM »
In the history memory section there is a thread Belfast Linen Mills. You may find it interesting :)

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 05:54:13 PM »
Thanks, I'll plough my way through, but think I have already read the thread.  I am trying to put together the background for a 90yr old birthday and as she is the only person who can give me the facts, it makes it a bit difficult to ask her too many questions, added to which her memory isn't what it used to be and gets confused at times, so all help is really appreciated ... The millworkers in her family go back to 17??  and so I have a pretty good handle on the workers roles, its more that I would like to find a photograph if available of the mill that she worked in .. but which one was it, that's where she has created the confusion  ???

Patsy-Ann

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 06:41:07 PM »
Thanks, I'll plough my way through, but think I have already read the thread.  I am trying to put together the background for a 90yr old birthday and as she is the only person who can give me the facts, it makes it a bit difficult to ask her too many questions, added to which her memory isn't what it used to be and gets confused at times, so all help is really appreciated ... The millworkers in her family go back to 17??  and so I have a pretty good handle on the workers roles, its more that I would like to find a photograph if available of the mill that she worked in .. but which one was it, that's where she has created the confusion  ???

There was a dam at the bleach works/mill at Ligoniel wereas the mill/factory was further down the Crumlin Road. I hope you get sorted :)

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 07:18:40 PM »
Thanks Patsy, think I'll have to do some probing from another direction, if you think of anything, just let me know .. open to all thoughts on this  :-\

PaulineRooney

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 12:40:37 PM »
Hi there, theres a page on facebook called Old Ligoniel Pics, theres loads of pics of the mills ect on there and people that may be able to give you information on the families :-)

Patsy-Ann

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 01:13:09 PM »
Hi there, theres a page on facebook called Old Ligoniel Pics, theres loads of pics of the mills ect on there and people that may be able to give you information on the families :-)

Thank you Pauline I enjoyed looking at the photos :)

Patsy-Ann

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 01:14:38 PM »
Thanks Patsy, think I'll have to do some probing from another direction, if you think of anything, just let me know .. open to all thoughts on this  :-\

I did not think of anything of help to you. .did you get sorted?