Author Topic: Old pictures of Courtrai Street or Bracken Street  (Read 8336 times)

Orpheous

Old pictures of Courtrai Street or Bracken Street
« on: July 31, 2015, 11:59:08 PM »
Any old pictures of Courtrai Street where I was born in 1970 or Bracken Street, both in Woodvale area, where my mum was born and raised with the rest of her family.

Would love to show my mother any old pictures.

Thanks in advance.

asp1

Re: Old pictures of Courtrai Street or Bracken Street
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 09:27:28 PM »
My granny lived in Bracken Street until 1971 and I grew up in Mossvale Street maybe I know your mam what's she called.

Orpheous

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 10:52:53 PM »
My Mothers name was Rachel Gordon part of the Gordon family. What was your Granny's name?

asp1

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 11:12:26 PM »
Our surname was Maginnes, Granny lived number 44.   

paulbmcv

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 08:33:21 PM »
Hi Folks,

Looking any information on the Lockharts from Mossvale street .

paul

asp1

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 08:21:59 PM »
Hi Paul,  I remember the Lockhart family lived at number 7 when I lived in Mossvale Street

paulbmcv

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 09:59:19 PM »
hi Asp1

do you remember who lived there and when?  any chance you have any photos of the street?  thanks in advanced

Paul

asp1

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 12:36:13 AM »
Paul, I have sent you a PM. 

Aurel Sercu

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 12:01:19 PM »
I can't help being surprised when I read "Courtrai" Street !
Courtrai  is the French name for what is the Flemish town "Kortrijk", some 15 miles east from where I live (Ieper, or Ypres).
So I had a look at my Belfast map. Yes, a paper map (which may surprise you, but I got it from a Belfast acquaintance). Did not find it, but then used Google.

Surprised ? Yes, even more because it is in good company ! Sydney ... Madras ... Brussels ... Paris ... Ottawa ... Montreal !
What prompted Belfast to name a (modest) street after a (modest) Flemish town ?!   :-)

Aurel

JackM

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 12:42:52 PM »
I can't help being surprised when I read "Courtrai" Street !
Courtrai  is the French name for what is the Flemish town "Kortrijk", some 15 miles east from where I live (Ieper, or Ypres).
So I had a look at my Belfast map. Yes, a paper map (which may surprise you, but I got it from a Belfast acquaintance). Did not find it, but then used Google.

Surprised ? Yes, even more because it is in good company ! Sydney ... Madras ... Brussels ... Paris ... Ottawa ... Montreal !
What prompted Belfast to name a (modest) street after a (modest) Flemish town ?!   :-)

Aurel

Possibly something to do with WW1 ? In its day Kortrijk was famous for textiles and Belfast company James Mackie Ltd supplied many, many machines to the town. (as well as many, many drunken erectors. lol ) :D
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

Aurel Sercu

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 12:57:56 PM »
Jack,

I would be interesting to find how old the name Courtrai Street is.  Maybe the name (and street) dating from before WW1 ? (Maybe I should go to Lennon Wylie after this ?)

Whether is has something to do with WW1 ? If so, there sure are better examples. Like (in the first place) our Ieper, where I live (French name, and also on WW1 maps Ypres). Or Diksmuide (old spelling Dixmude). Or Poperinge (old spelling Poperinghe). Or Nieuwpoort (Nieuport).

But Kortrijk / Courtrai has (almost) nothing to do with the Great war. After a couple of days it was "over". And the same for other Flemish towns, like Brugge (Bruges), Oostende (Ostend), Gent (Ghent, Gand), Antwerpen (Antwerp, Anvers). Whereas Ieper / Ypres was levelled to its foundations ...

Courtrai / Kortrijk ? Intriguing.But if the streetname  is older than WW1, then I do believe youwhen you say it may have something to do with textile industry. For indeed that town was famous for its textile industry.

Aurel

Aurel

Aurel Sercu

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 01:02:46 PM »
Just to say that Lennon Wylie mentions Courtrai Street in 1868.
(Not in 1861.)

Aurel

Sanbrad

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 04:35:15 PM »
Not sure when Courtrai St was built... But I do remember that in the immediate area were also Cambrai Street and Ghent Street.

jmac

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 08:22:39 PM »
Ghent Street  and Courtrai St both ran off Cambrai Street
Illegitimi Non Carborundum.

Ubique

dmack

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 07:09:13 AM »
Ghent Street  and Courtrai St both ran off Cambrai Street

My grandparents lived in Cambrai Street. Its been there since pre 1900. I would imagine Courtrai street also goes that far back. Theres also a Belgian connection with Leopold st - (King of Belgium I believe)