Author Topic: Old pictures of Courtrai Street or Bracken Street  (Read 8337 times)

Aurel Sercu

Re: Old pictures of Courtrai Street or Bracken Street
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 08:55:10 AM »
True, I think. That must have been either King Leopold I or Leopold II. But as it does not say Leopold II, I would say his father Leopold I. (But at the time, as there was no follower Leopold in sight, I guess that the "I" was not needed. Yet.)

Leopold II became king in 1865.

Aurel

JackM

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 01:08:05 PM »
Jack,

I would be interesting to find how old the name Courtrai Street is.  Maybe the name (and street) dating from before WW1 ? (Maybe I should go to Lennon Wylie after this ?)

Whether is has something to do with WW1 ? If so, there sure are better examples. Like (in the first place) our Ieper, where I live (French name, and also on WW1 maps Ypres). Or Diksmuide (old spelling Dixmude). Or Poperinge (old spelling Poperinghe). Or Nieuwpoort (Nieuport).

But Kortrijk / Courtrai has (almost) nothing to do with the Great war. After a couple of days it was "over". And the same for other Flemish towns, like Brugge (Bruges), Oostende (Ostend), Gent (Ghent, Gand), Antwerpen (Antwerp, Anvers). Whereas Ieper / Ypres was levelled to its foundations ...

Courtrai / Kortrijk ? Intriguing.But if the streetname  is older than WW1, then I do believe youwhen you say it may have something to do with textile industry. For indeed that town was famous for its textile industry.

Aurel

Aurel

Here is the answer I think. This is an abstract from the History of the Shankill Road and surrounding district:

`The area expanded greatly in the mid to late 19th century with the growth of the linen industry. Many of the streets in the Shankill area, such as Leopold Street, Cambrai Street and Brussels Street, were named after places and people connected with Belgium or Flanders, where the flax from which the linen was woven was grown.`

When you think of it Cambria, Ghent and Courtrai Streets were a stones throw from three large Flax mills. Ewarts, Brookfield and Edenderry.
By the way, flax from those areas is regarded as the best in the world.  :) :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

Sandgroper

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2015, 01:52:30 PM »
JackM

You might be interested in a few pcs I posted on 'sandgropers sandpit' thread this arvo.

Commemorating Mill workers from the Mills you mentioned.

I posted some pics of "Millie" from Cambrai street some time ago.

sg

Aurel Sercu

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 05:11:06 PM »
Jack,

Sure, flax, that's it ! At the time Kortrijk (Courtrai) was famous for its flax. There is even a (new and very good) Flax Museum.

Aurel

JackM

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 12:42:32 PM »
JackM

You might be interested in a few pcs I posted on 'sandgropers sandpit' thread this arvo.

Commemorating Mill workers from the Mills you mentioned.

I posted some pics of "Millie" from Cambrai street some time ago.

sg

SG
Had a look at your photos, very good indeed. Thanks for letting me know and thanks for posting.  :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

[email protected]

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2016, 09:38:49 PM »
My granny lived in Bracken Street until 1971 and I grew up in Mossvale Street maybe I know your mam what's she called.
Just seen this one l lived in Bracken street from 1972 until 1975 great people as l was an out sider l was not sure what to expect but l needn't  have worried

Gusty

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2016, 07:46:48 PM »
Jack,

Sure, flax, that's it ! At the time Kortrijk (Courtrai) was famous for its flax. There is even a (new and very good) Flax Museum.

Aurel

Hi. My family owned the J&TM Greeves mill on Falls Road and one of their biggest supplier of Flax was based in Courtrai.

There was also a York St Mill and Brookfield Linen Co on Courtrai St so I'd say the linen connection is pretty strong.

Gusty

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2016, 08:44:02 PM »

Hi. My family owned the J&TM Greeves mill on Falls Road and one of their biggest supplier of Flax was based in Courtrai.

The supplier was called Oosterlynk

tones

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2016, 09:56:37 PM »
Jack,

Aurel

Aurel, I grew up in Leopold ("Lee-pole" to the locals) Street. As others have said, the Belgian names came about as a result of the three big linen mills (Brookfield, Ewarts and Edenderry) in the vicinity. It would amuse you to know the massacre of the names given by the locals. If you came to Belfast and asked for Cambrai Street in its proper French pronunciation, you'd be greeted with blank stares. The local pronunciation is "Cam-bar-eye-ah". Courtrai gets the same treatment ("Cor-ta-rye-ah"). They couldn't manage to massacre Ghent too much.

Lost Login

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2016, 10:53:35 PM »
I can't help being surprised when I read "Courtrai" Street !
Courtrai  is the French name for what is the Flemish town "Kortrijk", some 15 miles east from where I live (Ieper, or Ypres).
So I had a look at my Belfast map. Yes, a paper map (which may surprise you, but I got it from a Belfast acquaintance). Did not find it, but then used Google.

Surprised ? Yes, even more because it is in good company ! Sydney ... Madras ... Brussels ... Paris ... Ottawa ... Montreal !
What prompted Belfast to name a (modest) street after a (modest) Flemish town ?!   :-)

Aurel

As well as Ohio and Columbia Streets.

Not available in Northern Ireland.

tones

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2016, 08:35:38 AM »
As well as Ohio and Columbia Streets.

Not forgetting Crimea Street, where my grandmother grew up.

jmccrainor

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2021, 08:46:43 PM »
Would anyone know of McCrainors that lived at 29 Bracken Street?

Thomas and June McCrainor with their son David?

Or Thomas and Catherine