Author Topic: The old Doctors  (Read 8695 times)

david darley

Re: The old Doctors
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2015, 09:49:02 PM »
Dr Shaw, Woodstock Road, had a bad limp and walked with the aid of a stick, had the coldest hands ever. Also did the chair shuffle in the waiting room until it was your turn which you knew as the last person to see him knocked on the waiting room door on the way out. Could never understand how the chemist next door could figure out what medicine he had prescribed as they all looked the same, a scribbled hand written line with a full stop. Most of what he did give you would probably be outlawed now, it made you sleep off whatever it was you had.

wxwelder

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2015, 07:53:00 PM »

The way things were visiting the Doctors there was no appointment time.

You just took your place at the end of the queue and waited your turn.

The Doctor would give you 5 minutes or 15 minutes or as long as necessary.

In 2015, a Doctor knows who's about to walk in the door, Furthermore the Doctor

has that patient's medical history before him on computer so they have no time

They want you in and out, quick. My Doctor is the senior partner of a large group

of general practitioners. Online they pride themselves with being able to speak

Spanish or Italian. When you look around at the patients in the waiting room you

notice they are Chinese or Indian or maybe African. Would it not be better if these GP's could speak Urdu or Cantonese?

May Donnelly

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2015, 05:29:33 PM »
Doctor Connelly Carisle Circus. Paddy hat and a stick.Think I went once to his surgery hated it musky smells heavy dark funiture and the dampness I was certainly relieved when he moved further down the road near the Chapel.

ddmac

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2015, 12:25:33 AM »
dr kerr, he had his surgery in our house in duncairn gardens, every time there was injectons to get me an my sisters got it first, but what a doctor

dendar

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2015, 03:36:08 AM »
I remember Dr Isobel on the duncairn gdns. When I was just a wee boy.  Don't know her last name. Her surgery was near glenrosa St
Not too many woman then.
Dendar

Sanbrad

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2015, 06:11:04 AM »
Was Dr Isobel not one of the Caldwells. Lots of doctors in that family.

Patsy-Ann

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2015, 06:55:33 PM »
Dr Moss and Dr Craven (husband and wife) Cliftonville Road.
We make a living by what we get...We make a life by what we Give.

Arlray

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2015, 10:53:08 PM »
Im just new to this,this is my 1st post. BUT reading through some older posts i saw one about Dr. Denny from ravenhill. Dr.Denny was not actually from Africa,he was from British  Guyana. Garnett Denny was one of his sons,not his brother.
I know this as i am his grandaughter.
It is nice to know he is remembered.  :)

Astor

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2015, 11:14:59 PM »
Im just new to this,this is my 1st post. BUT reading through some older posts i saw one about Dr. Denny from ravenhill. Dr.Denny was not actually from Africa,he was from British  Guyana. Garnett Denny was one of his sons,not his brother.

Welcome to Belfast forum Arlray, thank you for that information.  Someone must know him, but many people have left the forum so it may take a while  :)
Que Sera Sera

Zulu95

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2015, 11:50:42 PM »
Dr Robert Irwin, NT. Queen St.  Saved my life when I was about three and had an infection in my kidneys. Thirty minutes delay in summonsing him and I would have been gone.
Stuck with him through two moves further up the street and all the new guys he brought in when his old partner died.  Best doctor in Belfast for sure. He was the consultant most young doctors trained under.

kraftcheese

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2015, 04:54:47 AM »

Hello Arlray, Welcome to the forum.  It was I who said Garnett was Dr Denny's brother, but I corrected myself in a later post.  I had mistakenly believed that he was African.  Thanks for telling me where he was actually from.  I remember Dr Denny well and my mum thought the world of him.  He looked after her through seven pregnancies.   :)
Omnia in finem bona sunt. Si non bona non finis est.

Lost Login

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2015, 04:05:30 PM »
Dr Caldwell Crumlin Rd you could catch anything in that waiting room , full of smokers coughing their lungs up, was always fascinated by that big doctors cupboard in his surgery seemed to deal with all manner of ailments

That's Albertville Surgery. The old building's still standing but the surgery's been moved across the road. Never mind what you could catch in the waiting room. You'd have to get past the two old, obnoxious dragons who were the receptionists. If you said you had a 48 hour illness, you might get an appointment in a fortnight's time. And no, don't even think about asking for a sick line. The dragon's weren't pleased.
Not available in Northern Ireland.

Madeline Morren

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2018, 08:22:46 PM »
Hi Chesterroad just joined forum and noticed your posting 2015 about Dr Fitzpatrick Falls road opposite Whiterock
Any information would be great as my granny was a patient and thought highly of him.

vinty

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2018, 10:41:11 AM »
Dr Pitt Temple more AVE area East Belfast, if he ran out of cigs he would go into the waiting room and tap the patients for a smoke.

HarryHippo

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2018, 12:35:35 PM »
Was Dr Isobel not one of the Caldwells. Lots of doctors in that family.
Yes Sanbrad, their surname was actually Calwell, lots of prople get that wrong. I think there was Dr Robert, Isobel, William and Sarah.
Lux Et Veritas.

Support Soldier F