Author Topic: The old Doctors  (Read 8810 times)

tboy

Re: The old Doctors
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2015, 09:42:07 PM »
Dr. Hyland and Dr. Hyland, a husband and wife team of doctors who practiced on the Crumlin Road, just above the Crumlin Picture House. The surgery was in their home, the waiting room was their front parlor.
No receptionist or nurse. A buzzer rang and the next patient went back to see the doctor. Simpler times.
Hello  Cully, ( anything to  Billy Cully an old time glazier) anyway, the largest 'practice' was that of  Robert Caldwell, 100, York Street . :)

sandymc44

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 01:17:12 AM »
kc  i remember Dr Denny  ,when my sister got married she lived in Watt Street , Ravenhill Road  and school holidays i was packed off to stay with them  , i saw him quite a few times i remember his laugh do you know if it is true he did part of his degree in Queen's and he loved Belfast so he never left :)

m-cully

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 02:00:58 AM »
Hi tboy, sorry, no relationship  to Billy. My grandparents were dead before I was born, my dad had no brothers. He did have two sisters, one of whom married, and one who didn't, so there were very few of us Cullys around.

wee paddy park

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 08:24:50 AM »
Falls rd Dr Byrnes if ats how its spelt still there to

kraftcheese

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2015, 11:12:01 AM »
kc  i remember Dr Denny  ,when my sister got married she lived in Watt Street , Ravenhill Road  and school holidays i was packed off to stay with them  , i saw him quite a few times i remember his laugh do you know if it is true he did part of his degree in Queen's and he loved Belfast so he never left :)

Sandymc, I remember Dr Denny's voice as being quite deep.  I don't know where he did his medical degree I'm afraid, but my mum trusted him implicitly.  I mentioned Garnett Denny, the boxer, and I mistakenly said he was Dr Denny's brother, but he was actually his son.  Dr Denny's partner was Dr Gilmore when we left Belfast in 1967 and when I returned on holiday from Oz in 1973, I saw Dr Gilmore for removal of stitches.  He was then situated on My Lady's Road.
Omnia in finem bona sunt. Si non bona non finis est.

river rats

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 11:45:10 AM »
I forgot Dr Atchison all kept dolly mixtures in his drawer for being a brave boy or girl
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

bhelena

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2015, 09:16:27 PM »
My Doctors were Dr Campbell and McHugh, they were lovely men....They were on Divis St, you didn't need an appointment you just went in and took your turn...They knew you and all about you....Not like now...
McNamee did they take over from Dr Gibson and Dr Mulveney or was it Mac Eleveney not sure of the spelling they where next to the school St Comgal's back in the say ..

McNamee

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2015, 09:33:48 PM »
I don't think they took over from Dr Gibson....Dr Campbell had his surgery between Gilford Street and Ardmoulin Street.

ourjoe

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2015, 09:38:25 PM »
Dr Caldwell   Duncairn Gardens  he always had a fig in his mouth  smoked players blues when he was talking the ash didn't even fall  lol  he was a great doctor  he drove a big Bentley lovely car
i hear you knocking  but you can't come in

bhelena

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2015, 10:17:52 PM »
Dr Caldwell   Duncairn Gardens  he always had a fig in his mouth  smoked players blues when he was talking the ash didn't even fall  lol  he was a great doctor  he drove a big Bentley lovely car
Our Dr Sean Gibson smoked also I know he smoked Woodbines because he would have a smoke with my Mother when he came up to see her ..

sarahsadie20

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2015, 11:19:26 PM »
Dr Caldwell crumlin rd Mrs ash his  receptionist was lovely rem his big cabinet also Dougie

citybloke

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2015, 01:00:10 PM »
Dr. McKee in Madrid Street

iritalia

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2015, 06:23:06 PM »

Dr Maguire and his wife Dr Fitch on Botanic Avenue. Lovely people they were.

chesterroad

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2015, 09:35:11 AM »
Dr Fitzpatrick on the Falls Road just below the Whiterock Road.  A great caring Doctor.

Sanbrad

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2015, 09:42:25 AM »
Dr O'Gorman and Dr Murray. Oldpark Road... Luckily didn't have to go too much... But I seem to remember shuffling round the room on the chairs... No appointments. You just waited.