Author Topic: The old Doctors  (Read 8747 times)

derdrei

Re: The old Doctors
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2018, 11:16:12 AM »
Dr OKANE down the whiterock he smoked he would always offer you one,he use to drive up and down the road in a real flash car.he was nicknamed the student prince becouse he failed his exams to many times.

misssmyth1

« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2018, 09:01:37 PM »
what memories I have from your descriptions the smokers in the waiting room the doctors smoking full ashtrays  on his desk and  his  clothes smelling of nicotine . we didnt have an appointment and had to just wait and people would always look anxious and say that wee girl or that wee fellas next every time someone went in so we were all kept up to date .. I hated the  'medical '  smells and sometimes the people would smell not too good . also coughing spluttering and runny noses someone pointed out that if not  very sick when arrived might catch something more serious before you left   LOL   but then if not ill wouldn't be there in the first place.!!   god bless the NHS though what did the poor or not so well off do previously?  thank goodness I didn't have to go often.everyone sitting around the room looking at each other but pretending not to  . the chemist was very knowledgeable and many people went to him or her instead for help I remember the big high counters and the drawers full of different medicines . my mum took me there when i fell and got a small  stone embedded in my knee the pharmacist  poured some stuff on my knee  to clean it and took the stone out with tweezers. she told me not to look and gave me a barley sugar stick to suck on to take the  attention away from the deed . it hurt but was over quickly ..  It was  bandaged and  i got some ointment to use  mum paid for that and the barley sugar stick and job done ..saved a trip to the docs or the hospital .  I was about 7 or 8 years old and still remember it well

ldugan

« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2018, 08:24:00 PM »
Dr Beirne his surgery was on the corner of Dunville st & Falls rd before moving to the corner of the Springfield road.
We don't have to agree on anything to be kind to one another.

dougie boy

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2019, 10:42:35 PM »
Hi yes i rem the doctors  also rem a roy hucthison  everton st in 1968  are you related

If this is old age I hope I die young

Bread Basket

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2019, 08:40:29 AM »
Dr O’Hagan, York St facing the top of Fleet St.
A beautiful Victorian house full of bronze statues, mirrors and plant pots.

Maymac

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2019, 09:24:52 PM »
Dr Sloan Grosvenor Rd  . He delivered my baby brother and after drew a diagram to explain to my Father that he had "a hole in his heart "and not much chance of survival . This was 1950 and the baby lived six weeks 

misssmyth1

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2019, 04:28:56 PM »
Maymac DR Samuel Sloane was our Doctor too . He had to come out to see my sick mum and gave me a lift  in his sports car to the Chemist on The Grosvenor Road to pick up her prescription . was it called Deekins?  a the pharmacist  was a lovely lady very kind and beautiful .

Maymac

« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2019, 09:01:03 PM »
Not sure of name of chemist misssmyth but late 50s there was one corner Blackwater St  and  Grosvenor Rd beside O 'Haras bakery Dr Sloan was very popular for maternity cases and my sister born Jan1949 was the first baby he delivered as a young GP

Maymac

« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2019, 09:10:40 PM »
PS Could you imagine a doctor taking you to get a prescription now ? The sports car was good too

misssmyth1

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2019, 03:39:18 PM »
 .. and I was thrilled to be in the car very low whatever it was and he left me right outside the chemist and told me to look after my mum .Big high counters couldn't see the top as was very young at the time  chemist had a flap on the counter at the end which she flipped up to get in and out .I haven't thought about that day for 6o years ..I think the cost was a shilling ?  she gave me a boiled  sweet for being a 'polite  girl' and told me to give my mum her best wishes. Times were so very different. 

Donovan

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2019, 05:02:42 PM »
Dr. McNEILL,A Woman Dr. her surgery was on the Antrim Road.Very stern but very good.You also had the herbalist located in the Arcade in lower North st.

misssmyth1

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2019, 01:13:52 PM »
I remember the herbalist  my Mum took me when I was about 16 for a rash on my face that wouldn't clear up  even  with  prescription meds ..Very embarrasing  .He made a concoction for me after asking many questions  It  tasted really  awful but he made me promise i would finish  it  I did as desperate to look nice again especially as a teenager bad enough with all the other  angst ..LOL .   It all cleared up he told me sugar was my enemy  and to cut it out completely for a year and then just have a treat now and again   it has worked for me .  obviously had to pay. but my Mum  and her family had used him previously and always with success .  sometimes our systems just don't tolerate somethings and it can be very simple to rectify . I am very grateful to him ,and to my Mum for being so wise .