Author Topic: Osborne family  (Read 916 times)

Carolann

Osborne family
« on: August 30, 2015, 10:57:29 AM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm carrying out some research on my moms family. I've been able to find her moms ( Maggie Ann Devlin), my grandmother's  details on the 1901 & 1911 census. I've also obtained a copy of her marriage to my grandfather,  James Osborne in 1922, all good so far.  However, the marriage certificates doesn't gives James age, it just says full so I'm having real problems finding him on the census. I've applied under FOI for details held on the National Register 1939 for 3 Short Street because my mom was born there (1931) & told me the family was still living there in 1939. However, this weekend having looked at Leenonwylie street listings for 1932 the Osbornes aren't listed at that address in 1932, but my mom is adamant that the family were there in 39!
After being demobbed in 1945, my grandfather (who had been based with the Royal Enginners on the Isle of Wight) went back to the Isle of Wight to live. He wanted the family to go with him but they didn't want to leave Belfast. All my mom knows is that he worked at Parkhusrt for a while & as a chief at the Dash Hotel.
My mom is 84 now & she would love to know what happened to her Dad. Did he ever come back to Belfast looking for the family?
If anybody has any memories of the Osbornes who lived in Short Street & then Pilot Street it would be lovely for my mom to hear about them.
Many thanks
Carol

CMcG

Re: Osborne family
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 07:07:21 AM »

"However, the marriage certificates doesn't gives James age, it just says full so I'm having real problems finding him on the census"

So am I, this one has me stumped so far. Do you have any indication that James wasn't born / resident in Ireland and/or his parents wern't married in Ireland?

For the benefit of other readers and the possibility of fresh eyes finding something, the church marriage took place on 6 May 1922 in St. Patrick's Belfast, it was between James Osborne of 32 Weaver Street and Maggie Ann Devlin of 10 Artillery Street.

James' parents were described as Thomas Osborne, deceased and Mary A. McCafferty.

Maggie Ann's parents were described as John Devlin and Rose A Neill of 10 Artillery Street. And sure enough, they are easy to find in 1901 & 1911.

The witnesses were Thomas Gillen of 32 Weaver Street and Ann Jane McCormick of 67 Vere Street.
If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 10:06:09 AM »

... Maggie Ann's parents were described as John Devlin and Rose A Neill of 10 Artillery Street. And sure enough, they are easy to find in 1901 & 1911 ...

I know you're after the Osborne side, but it doesn't do any harm to corroborate what you've found on the Devlin side.  John Devlin of Lepper Street married Rose Anne McNeill of New Lodge Road in St. Patrick's RC Church Belfast on 26 October 1891, the groom's parents were Henry and Anne Devlin, the bride's parents were Charles and Margaret McNeill.

Just for the convenience of folk reading your topic, here are the census links:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Dock_Ward/Artillery_Street/935218/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Dock_Ward/Artillery_Street/136132/

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 11:16:00 AM »
Nothing is coming easy here. 

On 14 January 1924, a John Devlin of 10 Artillery Street, with a date of birth stated as 6 July 1869 (on the money for the John in the 1901 & 1911 census returns), got baptised in St. Patrick's RC church, Belfast, citing his parents as Henry Devlin and Ann Ennis. Now, why did he do this?

The closest I can find to this couple's names are Henry Devlin and Ann Innis who had a number of children baptised in the 1860s in Armagh, nowhere near John's stated birthplace of Belfast / Carrickfergus in the 1901 / 1911 census returns.

Carolann

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 02:37:37 PM »
Thank you so much for this, it's been really, really useful. I've spoken to my mom and she thinks that Thomas Osborne might have been English. She assumed they got married in Ireland but maybe they didn't, maybe it was England & maybe James was born in Engladn as well!
Why John Devlin got baptised in 1924 ? My mom tells me that her her grandmother ( we now know as Rose Ann) died in childbirth & John either re married or lived with another woman called Mary. If he re married could this be a reason for him to get baptised?
Thank you again, it's very appreciated by me and especially my 84 year old mom.

JimG

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 08:34:59 AM »
Hi both, There are 6 John Devlin births in Co antrim listed for 1969 on www.emerald ancestors.com
John in 1911 corrected his birth location himself from just Co Antrim to Carrickfergus Co Antrim so he must have felt strongly about it

To confirm 1943 address James Osborne was at No 31 Pilot St in Lennonwylie website     
There are street directories available not online available in major libraries eg Linenhall Library and Belfast Public library. They were normally published annually at the time you are checking.
See a booklet Belfast and Ulster Street Directories 1805-1914 (Deirdre Armstrong ed.), Library and Information Services Council (NI), 2008, is a guide to Ulster Street Directories and where they can be accessed, also available in the PRONI Library. This was online but I cant find it and so it becomes a topic  by itself here on the `Forumí
Lets hope you get more replies JimG

Stephen1959

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 12:15:11 PM »
Carol Ann

I know you havenít posted for a while, but I came across this by accident, my granny and Maggie ann were sisters, she was about 10 years younger than Maggie Ann.  I remember meeting her a long time ago.  I also knew some of the Osbornes, Tommy and Mary who lived in Belfast and some of the children, Thomas, Jimmy and Malachy.