Author Topic: OLD MOTORCYCLE PICTURES  (Read 8592 times)

old3wheeler

OLD MOTORCYCLE PICTURES
« on: September 04, 2015, 11:50:43 AM »
Folks i was wondering if anyone has any old pics of them and thier bikes and any haunts they used to frequent in the 50,60,70,s etc   . IM especially interested in the American Soda bar or Pootises as it was also known. It was at the bottom of the Whitewell road were it joined the shore Rd , Any pictures of local bikers and clubs and racers would be appriciated. Unfortunatley all my own were lost at some time and i have but a few and they arent of great quality .
 It would be great to hear old yarns and stories of adventures and time,s happy or sad that folk had , Id like to attempt to make a book from it all and give any money raised towards funding an Air ambulance if the charity gets of the ground , So if there are any old rockers, bikers, even mods lol out there interested get posting please , RegardsKen
" outside of a dog " a book is mans best friend,
inside of a dog is far to dark to read."

Lollipop

Re: OLD MOTORCYCLE PICTURES
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 11:07:56 AM »
I remember Pootsies well. My friend Geraldine and I used to walk down the Whitewell Road from Antrim Road, and run the whole way back up because we were always late going home. I never knew any of the bikers but used to watch them gather outside Pootsies. I loved that place! I remember a Brian Williamson from the Shore Road and his friend Colin...don't remember his second name.

old3wheeler

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 12:38:46 PM »
I remember Pootsies well. My friend Geraldine and I used to walk down the Whitewell Road from Antrim Road, and run the whole way back up because we were always late going home. I never knew any of the bikers but used to watch them gather outside Pootsies. I loved that place! I remember a Brian Williamson from the Shore Road and his friend Colin...don't remember his second name.

Pootsies was a fascinating place to me also lollipop my mates and i would cycle to there from Northwood and sit for hours gazing at all the bikes and bikers lol, We somtimes got up enough courage to ask some off the lads could we sit on their bikes ,Some lets us others politley told us no lol, Best bit was when a large group decided to head off for a run lol the noise was deafening as they left and the smell of petrol.oil and burning clutchs was unforgettable , ID love to se any pics if anyone has any , regards ken

Roadracer

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 12:35:32 PM »
The American Soda Bar was long before my time. But I did go to Pootsies in the early seventies. I went to high school with Billy's nephew and at that time they lived at the bottom of the Serpentine Road.

Lollipop

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 12:49:27 PM »
Old3wheeler you just brought back some lovely memories. We used to watch the bikers too and long for someone to  take us for a spin. And the excitement as they took off, the noise and the smell of petrol etc was just wonderful.

sandymc44

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 03:07:53 AM »
I have no pics but lots of memories as my best friend and i loved the Royal Showband as did a couple of the bikers ,two brothers and they used to give us a lift if the band was playing   out of Belfast ,  nothing romantic just mates enjoying the music , the first lift i got was down from the Floral Hall and that was a bit hairy . My parents never knew until years after that we used to ride the back of motorbikes .
Pootsies  was our hang out as teenagers  and we used to sit over one milk shake for hours listening to the juke box until nearly 10 oclock and Billy would shout  get out you lot and let the paying customers in , for it was time for the pubs getting out.
I remember when Billy got the coffee machine , we thought we were really sophisticated then   

arder lavery

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 11:04:10 AM »

this is the mv agusta 750.
only ever two made for agastini but not put into production because of its speed.
my father in law bought it directly from agostini in the isle of mann
HAVE NO FEAR CAUSE ARDERS HERE

VWbay

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 04:26:08 PM »
Some lovely bikes there , used to attend quite a few road races and short circuits but a change off job finished that .

old3wheeler

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 07:20:30 PM »

this is the mv agusta 750.
only ever two made for agastini but not put into production because of its speed.
my father in law bought it directly from agostini in the isle of mann

I hate to correct you Arder but your wrong :o  lol the bike in the pic is indeed an MV Augusta It is the 750 s model , BUT there were a lot more than 2 made in fact it was around 500 odd that were produced. Your father in law must have been a wealthy man to purchase on way back then the MV cost about 2200 . To-day goodness knows what it would be worth , regards ken

udini

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 04:24:22 PM »
I remember seeing my first Honda motorbike up Glenbank Place. My neighbour , Alan O'Neil bought it and had it sitting outside his front door. It looked so different and although it was only a 125cc it looked a lot bigger.
Who,what, where,when and why,I think that says it all.

Belfastloon

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 06:53:38 PM »
I remember seeing my first Honda motorbike up Glenbank Place. My neighbour , Alan O'Neil bought it and had it sitting outside his front door. It looked so different and although it was only a 125cc it looked a lot bigger.

What year was that?

I think the first I ever saw was at the Ulster GP 1965 but they had been at the TT 1960 ish.

It was late 60's before I bought a Yamaha my first Japanese bike.

old3wheeler

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 11:15:30 PM »
What year was that?

I think the first I ever saw was at the Ulster GP 1965 but they had been at the TT 1960 ish.

It was late 60's before I bought a Yamaha my first Japanese bike.

First Hondas raced at the TT in 1959 and had their first win in 61, I never saw any of the works Hondas race at the UGP  my first visit there was 68, But I did see Ralph Bryans win the 250 race at the NW200 in 1970 on a ex works Honda 4 , In 68 at the ugp I did see the amazing Yamaha v4 ,s ,Regards ken

Roadracer

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 03:26:06 PM »

Ken
This is the only V4 Yamaha I ever had, wish I still did.

barney bhouy

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 12:06:57 AM »
the only motor bike I ever had was a red 150cc gilera i bought for 199 in 1973 from scooter services on the Dublin rd in Belfast I should have had a Yamaha that the owner of scooter services was holding for me until I had gathered up the money to pay for but when I went to pay for it the owner of the shop had sold it but to make up for it he said that I could have the gilera which was his display model he told me that it was the only 150cc model in Ireland I don't know if it was or not but I took it any way boy did I love that bike I don't have any photos of it and part exchanged when I graduated to a car it a few years later    :)would love to see a pic of one  

Roadracer

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 08:47:20 AM »
Barney the Gilera 150 was a rare sight, can't say I knew off any. Later about 1976/77 the Gilera RS50 and Enduro moped where very popular. Ken you may remember a couple of them around the Shore Road area. What was the Yamaha you missed out on? I remember the Scooter shop but didn't go in often, Donegal Pass, Castlereagh and Ravenhill Roads where the main motorcycle shops back then.