Author Topic: FUDGE  (Read 2371 times)

Taggart 009

FUDGE
« on: November 28, 2007, 05:45:33 PM »

This is probably a first, but I have a question about Fudge for all you kitchen lovers.

Years ago when I lived in Belfast, some friends and myself used to make terrific fudge.

Unfortunately I lost the recipe  (also years ago)  and I would love to find it again.

I know the ingredients consisted of butter, sugar and some kind of tinned milk.  Oh and a wee bit of vanilla dropped in at the end.

If anyone has that recipe I would dearly love it Please.

Val.

twocoats

Re: FUDGE
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 05:47:35 PM »
This is probably a first, but I have a question about Fudge for all you kitchen lovers.

Years ago when I lived in Belfast, some friends and myself used to make terrific fudge.

Unfortunately I lost the recipe  (also years ago)  and I would love to find it again.

I know the ingredients consisted of butter, sugar and some kind of tinned milk.  Oh and a wee bit of vanilla dropped in at the end.

If anyone has that recipe I would dearly love it Please.

Val.

Hi my beautiful Tele-ad friend. How are you. I see you posted twice. Still can't get used to taking no for an answer??. Coats ;D ;D
Homophobia, racism, sexism, bigotry and sectarianism is still alive..

BigAgiesMan

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 05:57:12 PM »
Try this

* oil, for greasing
    * 300ml Milk
    * 350g caster sugar
    * 100g unsalted butter
    * 1 tsp vanilla extract

Method

1. Grease an 18cm square cake tin.

2. Put the milk, sugar and butter in a heavy-based saucepan. Heat slowly, stirring all the time, until the sugar has dissolved and the butter melted.

3. Bring to the boil and boil for 15-20 minutes, stirring all the time.

4. When the mixture reaches the soft-ball stage (115C on a sugar thermometer), remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Leave to cool for 5 minutes.

5. Beat the mixture with a spoon for a few minutes until it starts to thicken and the gloss disappears.

6. Pour into the prepared tin and leave to set at room temperature (do not put it in the fridge).

7. Once set, cut the fudge into small squares and store in a sealed container.

Taggart 009

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 07:21:00 PM »
Try this

* oil, for greasing
    * 300ml Milk
    * 350g caster sugar
    * 100g unsalted butter
    * 1 tsp vanilla extract

Method

1. Grease an 18cm square cake tin.

2. Put the milk, sugar and butter in a heavy-based saucepan. Heat slowly, stirring all the time, until the sugar has dissolved and the butter melted.

3. Bring to the boil and boil for 15-20 minutes, stirring all the time.

4. When the mixture reaches the soft-ball stage (115C on a sugar thermometer), remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Leave to cool for 5 minutes.

5. Beat the mixture with a spoon for a few minutes until it starts to thicken and the gloss disappears.

6. Pour into the prepared tin and leave to set at room temperature (do not put it in the fridge).

7. Once set, cut the fudge into small squares and store in a sealed container.

Thanks so much for taking the time to look this up for me.  I am sure you are on the right track.  Your a dear.!

Harry1

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 12:29:27 AM »
Don't you stick in a tin of condensed milk?

Belle Fast

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 01:07:18 AM »
Is the condensed milk not in caramel squares?  :)

Taggart 009

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 02:01:27 AM »
Well I was taking it that the 300ml Milk was condensed milk.  Did I think right then?
do let me know.

Taggart 009

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 02:03:09 AM »
Hi my beautiful Tele-ad friend. How are you. I see you posted twice. Still can't get used to taking no for an answer??. Coats ;D ;D

Hello my wee Tele-Ad Slave Driver :):):):)  I never take no for an answer. I just make them think I have and go about things in another way until I get what I want.  Works for me every time with my wee hubby:):):)  Bet you its the same with your good wife.  :):):)   ou just have not realised it yet:(:(*:(

twocoats

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 02:07:10 AM »
Hello my wee Tele-Ad Slave Driver :):):):)  I never take no for an answer. I just make them think I have and go about things in another way until I get what I want.  Works for me every time with my wee hubby:):):)  Bet you its the same with your good wife.  :):):)   ou just have not realised it yet:(:(*:(

Hi Val. How are you.? Coats

Taggart 009

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 02:37:06 AM »
Zat it. Zat all I get after all these years.? How r u?  tut Tut, your loosin your chattymicchatchat. :):):()

I am fine old son. Just heading off to Arizona in a two days. Looking forward to getting away from all this darn snow!
Suppose yur off to Mexico soon if your not already there.

twocoats

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 03:00:51 AM »
Sorry Val. Had to rush and do the Daughters Taxes.

Have a great time in Arizona. Mexico in May. .for me

I was speaking to someone the other day about working with you in the Tele. 68/71 for me.

Remember I used to be the boss of you on Saturday mornings. At least you girls let me think that.

Then off to Carrick or elsewhere to play Rugby. Those were the days O0

Taggart 009

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 06:54:11 AM »
Sorry Val. Had to rush and do the Daughters Taxes.

Have a great time in Arizona. Mexico in May. .for me

I was speaking to someone the other day about working with you in the Tele. 68/71 for me.

Remember I used to be the boss of you on Saturday mornings. At least you girls let me think that.

Then off to Carrick or elsewhere to play Rugby. Those were the days O0

ok, ok, you cant leave me hangin like this!  Who the heck was it you were talking to then about us working in Tele-Ads/
If you don't want to put the name on the site here then write me on my shaw.ca address will you. Love hearing when old colleagues meet up.

twocoats

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 06:58:37 AM »
Hi again Val. Actually it was just someone that knew I worked in the BT. Don't think he knew you. But it did bring to mind the great times we had.
 8)

Harry1

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 01:58:15 AM »
Is the condensed milk not in caramel squares?  :)

Nope! Just e-mailed my dad in Newtownards for his  recipe... (ok I'm not strictly a Belfast ex-pat). But it is the most delicious fudge... and it came from his parents in Belfast. I'll post the recipe when I get it.

weedotty

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 07:41:14 PM »
A very easy fudge recipe.

Microwave fudge.

2 cups fine sugar
3/4 cup butter
2/3 cup evaporated milk.

Blend in a micro bowl and cook in the microwave for 4 - 5 mts on high, stir a couple of times.
Add 8 ozs of chocolate chips
2 cups mini marshmallows
1 teasp vanilla
1 cup of your favourite nuts.

Pour into a greased 12" X 8" tray and cool in the fridge. Cut when set.