Author Topic: Short Strand. East Belfast  (Read 286740 times)

A.T

Re: Short Strand. East Belfast
« Reply #1185 on: June 04, 2017, 10:44:19 PM »
frankie, I totally forgot about Anthony Thompson, there were other Thompsons on the mountpottinger rd as well, Dessie, lived in 99

I think that's my uncle

Did Dessie have brothers called Arthur and James ..and sisters called Mary ,Pauline , Brenda , Bernadette ?

A.T

« Reply #1186 on: June 04, 2017, 11:04:40 PM »
I have traced my family (Keegan) back to the Short Strand in the 1900's and beyond.  My Grt Aunt was Margaret Keegan married to William O'Hara and was living in Vulcan Street in 1911.  My Grt Grandfather (Thomas Keegan) was living with her after she was married.  My Grt Uncle James Keegan lived in Altcar Street, James was Thomas brother.

As I have always seen myself as an Ulster Scot, I am really chuffed to see my background is not what I always thought.  If anyone can help me add to the family history I would be very grteful.

Did your great uncle James marry a Rose lynch by chance ?

Mary K Rossi

« Reply #1187 on: September 01, 2017, 03:02:40 PM »
All - Check out "Friends of Short Strand, Past and Present on Facebook.  Lots of memories there.  Also, Belfast Forum has a page on Facebook too.

Gilmet

« Reply #1188 on: July 15, 2018, 11:58:32 AM »
rep1 khartoum st was at the end off middlepath st  and the start off foundry st
at the end of the st there was a large wall keeping people from the railway tracks
.   Hello frank .my name is Gilbert , my grandparents lived in number 9 Khartoum street ,would have any knowledge of this family ( James Carling was my grandfather,I would like to no more about him,I would appreciate any information , thanks Gilbert.

Margana

« Reply #1189 on: July 15, 2018, 12:40:30 PM »
Gilbert, your grandfather is listed in the 1901 Census at 30 Foundry Street - John, Wife Jane Ann and children Elizabeth, James, Jane Ann, Michael, Thomas, Charles and 5 boarders!

Gilmet

« Reply #1190 on: July 15, 2018, 02:37:04 PM »
Gilbert, your grandfather is listed in the 1901 Census at 30 Foundry Street - John, Wife Jane Ann and children Elizabeth, James, Jane Ann, Michael, Thomas, Charles and 5 boarders!
.  Margana. Thank you , I can now go a little further .🤔😄

Gilmet

« Reply #1191 on: July 15, 2018, 03:50:19 PM »
.  Margana. Thank you , I can now go a little further .
Margana, could you please help me again I can't find the link, Gilbert

Margana

« Reply #1192 on: July 15, 2018, 05:01:17 PM »

Go to www.census.nationalarchives.ie and at the top select Search Census
There is a box into which information can be inserted.
Select year as 1901.
Type Carling as Surname.
A list of names will appear. Click on any of the names living at Foundry Street.
A list of the people will appear but not all of the information is here.
Move down the page and you will see Household Return Form A
Click on that and it will show you the original census form.

Paula2

« Reply #1193 on: April 09, 2019, 11:31:44 AM »
:hi: Many thanks Rep, trying to work something out, anyone know off RILEYS Court and the Cranes that come from there in 1911.There was Patrick and his second wife who was 20years his younger, her name was Ethel. His first wife died and i am trying to find out what she died off and what happen to there children (3) sons John,Joseph
and Edward and were did they go???
irish :hi:
Hello, I came across your post (I know it is old) but I know about the woman you're asking about. Her name was Mary McVeigh. She died in June 1899 26 years old. Her husband remarried in 1903 to Ethel Smyth. It seems their son John Crane married and had three children. They had a daughter who died. Hope this is useful.

MJMAC80

« Reply #1194 on: April 23, 2021, 10:11:03 PM »
Dickie McMillan was Hughies father, He was married to Mary McGivern. They lived in No20 Moira St. They had a large family Hughie, Jim, Richard, Geraldine, Pat, Mairead and Marie.

MJMAC80

« Reply #1195 on: April 23, 2021, 10:16:44 PM »
My grandad was Hugh McMillan son of Dickie McMillan my Great grand father and Mary McGivern my great grand mother they lived in ClandeBoyle when my Great granny Mac died in 1983 I think

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy