Author Topic: Short Strand. East Belfast  (Read 234387 times)

olelad

Re: Short Strand. East Belfast
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 05:28:46 PM »
Don't really knoe but I know a lot of them did before I srarted working there.I suppose they moved to be with family who already moved to Downpatrick

probably was.
quite big in numbers the amount who did move there.

Christopher

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 03:07:03 PM »
I had a friend called Eileen Carrick who had a wee wool shop at the Newtownards Road of Short Strand. Eileen had worked in the upholstery department at Harland and Wolff with her husband Jack. Eileen and Jack lived off the Donegall Road. Her sister Pat McLarnon lived on the Upper Newtownards Road near where I lived. Eileen's Dad (surname Bailie .. he may also have been called Jack) was blind. He was a good pianist and played in the Royal Avenue Hotel. Pat had a Jaguar with a personalised plate PAT   Her husband was a diesel fitter. I think he sold cars somewhere on the Albertbridge Road.

Another person I knew was Bernie who lived in one of the streets in Short Strand. Bernie's Dad was a boxer. When I met her she worked at the Glenmachan Towers Hotel. She had previously worked in Robinson and Cleaver's restaurant.  Jenny Nelson, Brian Steenson's girl friend at the time, also worked at the Glenmachan Towers which belonged to the Ulster Wine Company. The manager at the hotel was a Scots guy called Craig Young who had previously worked in the Grand Central Hotel in Donegall Place.

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 06:31:58 PM »
Christopher

Eileen had worked in the upholstery department at Harland and Wolff with her husband Jack.

Do you mean the English company called Heaton Tabs (I think that is what it was called )

My Mother used to work there----- that was a BIG problem in our family, my Father did not want his wife working !! Our next door neighbour was a big Boss in the Shipyard, and got the job for my Mother ;D

The job almost ruined my Mother's health, they always seemed to have rush jobs, my Mother was almost " on call ", double shifts, taxis arriving to pick her up at night and bring her home again in the early hours of the morning etc,.

The money was really good, she earned much more than my Father who was a foreman in Shorts, I think that [censored] my Father off ;D ;D
Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

Christopher

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2006, 07:02:14 PM »
As far as I recall only Harland and Wolff was mentioned.
I did not realise there were different subcontractors involved.

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2006, 08:24:54 PM »
I think Heaton Tabb & Co. was headquartered in Southhampton.

They did all the ships soft furnishings, cushions, curtains, drapes, carpets, rugs.

I can remember 2 of the ships she worked on

Reina Del Mar
Reina Del Pacifico.

They wanted her to go over to England, in a Supervisory position, I don't think my Father would have allowed that :D

I have been reading my book "Shipbuilders to the World"-----125 years of Harland and Wolff Belfast 1861 - 1986.

Apparently Heaton's was a wholly owned subsidiery of Harland & Wolff, and was sold back to Ashby Tabb Limited in 1963 for 199,250 GBP.

Christopher

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2006, 09:15:47 PM »
The company for whom your wife worked sound more like interior designers, Bloomfield.
Upholsterers are slightly different. Upholstery is the work of providing furniture, especially seats with padding, springs, webbing, and fabric or leather covers.
Top of the market house furnishers tend to have upholstery departments.

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2006, 07:09:19 PM »
The Company did do interior design, but they also (for the Shipyard anyway ) machined the drapes, edged the carpet remnants to make rugs and place mats, made cushins for the furniture.etc.,

cos

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 02:16:18 PM »
Craigyroo,You obviously didn`t look too closely at the Short Strand if you see it as a ghetto.I work there as a teacher  in a beautiful modern school with a lovely nursery unit.The people there ,apart from a few streets,live in very nice modern houses and there is a modern community centre,youth club and the Bryson community enterprise building.The people there dress well ,the majority of them work for a living and they treat people with respect who treat them with respect.So take another look and forget the Elvis song!

Christopher

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 02:30:27 PM »
You take another look and tell me where I referred to Short Strand as a ghetto cos. I rarely call places ghettos. Many thanks Christopher

cos

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2006, 02:38:40 PM »
when i look at the short strand it reminds me of that Elvis song. .. in the ghetto!!!!!!!

Hello Christopher,I never mentioned you ! I was referring to the above post.Cos

Christopher

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2006, 03:09:41 PM »
when i look at the short strand it reminds me of that Elvis song. .. in the ghetto!!!!!!!

Hello Christopher,I never mentioned you ! I was referring to the above post.Cos

Sorry cos. Didn't take it in properly. Maybe I should wear specs :D Either that or learn to read :D

kaz35

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2006, 09:04:10 PM »
would anyone have or know where to get pictures of short strand before it was developed
     many thanks    kaz

cos

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2006, 10:16:23 PM »
hello Kaz,a good bet for Short Strand photos would be Short Strander Frankie Quinn who has a photographic exhibition in Conway Mill all next week.

kaz35

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2006, 10:20:08 PM »
many thanks cos, will see if i can get a race down from b/castle to have a look.
  kaz   :)

Christopher

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2007, 02:31:46 AM »
Hi Kaz,

Did you get down from Ballycastle to see Frankie Quinn's photographic exhibition?

Christopher