Author Topic: Short Strand. East Belfast  (Read 235047 times)

kinkyboots29

Re: Short Strand. East Belfast
« Reply #240 on: February 02, 2010, 10:36:43 PM »
hello folks im born n bred in the shorttstrand grew up in sherrif street and then clandeboye am looking for anybody went to st matthews was born 1980 so take it from there was so quiet n shy n just a little bit of a geek just lookin a trip down memory lane plus have family down there and would be nice if someone would keep a wee eye on them much appriecated x

REP1

« Reply #241 on: February 02, 2010, 11:01:25 PM »
hello folks im born n bred in the shorttstrand grew up in sherrif street and then clandeboye am looking for anybody went to st matthews was born 1980 so take it from there was so quiet n shy n just a little bit of a geek just lookin a trip down memory lane plus have family down there and would be nice if someone would keep a wee eye on them much appriecated x

Who are your family.
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

marketmade

« Reply #242 on: February 02, 2010, 11:20:16 PM »
whos ur family kinkyboots :scratch_ones_head:
you can take the man out off the market,but not the market out off the man.!

ells

« Reply #243 on: February 04, 2010, 11:40:36 PM »
well noots  you having a party for  your daddy  :smile: 

irishmaid1

« Reply #244 on: February 06, 2010, 02:43:51 PM »
Had a best mate came from Short Strand Mary Mc Greevy think it was Thompson St she came from sadly she died during the troubles

vespamum

« Reply #245 on: February 06, 2010, 06:06:38 PM »
 :smile:  i knew  paddy and josie doherty from Sheriff Street , or rather they were good friends of my late mother. ;)

REP1

« Reply #246 on: February 06, 2010, 06:37:54 PM »
Had a best mate came from Short Strand Mary Mc Greevy think it was Thompson St she came from sadly she died during the troubles

Mary lived in Anderson street worked as a food waitress in most of the hotels. she died 1972. her two kids live in twinbrook. Patrick and Kathy.
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

irishmaid1

« Reply #247 on: February 06, 2010, 10:04:26 PM »
Ahhhhhhhhh thanks REP now I remember the Street last time I was there was for Mary's funeral her kid's where very small if I remember rightly Kathy had made her first holy comunion the day Mary died stll brings a tear to my eye.

frank.m

« Reply #248 on: February 08, 2010, 02:32:07 AM »
 :smile:
:smile:  i knew  paddy and josie doherty from Sheriff Street , or rather they were good friends of my late mother. ;)
vespamum knew josie and paddy very well josie was born in 24 sheriff st
paddy came from north queen st i was born in 20 sheriff st

BUFFALOBURGER

« Reply #249 on: February 08, 2010, 01:19:37 PM »
The Short Strand was a small stretch of sand, and used by the locals as small beach at the turn of the century, Hence the name Short Strand.

I remember being taught by Mr McTaggart in St Matts and he told us that very fact, he also added that he was originally from the Tiger's Bay area and in the late 18th early 19th century there was also a stretch of beach along the foreshore there that was known as the Long Strand. He also told us stories of Sailors drowned in the lough that were buried in oak casks in the centre of Belfast. Years later when I was working in the refurbishment of a Belfast Bar I actually got to see one of these casks!

Island Girl

« Reply #250 on: February 14, 2010, 07:03:08 PM »
Hi kaz try the Rush Light site, you will find some old photos possibly of the old strand.

I grew up in the short strand, and still have family living locally, I remember the old strand and I loved it, I wish they could have kept the old houses and modernised them,
I know they have kept some streets the same like Madrid, Beechfield, Harper streets apart from which if some one airlifted me in to the middle of the new look strand I wouldn't know where I was!

Island Girl

« Reply #251 on: February 14, 2010, 07:31:05 PM »
Hello Everyone
Im researching my family tree. I would like to find out about the Wilson family. They lived at 49 Mountpottinger Road in the Short Strand. My great great aunt was Sarah Wilson (Friel). She had sons Edward and William Wilson. Her sister Martha Friel also lived with them.  I found from St Matthews records that Sarah died in 1950, Martha 1947, and Edward in 1973, he was then living in Beechfield Street. I was just wondering did Edward and his wife Ann have any family. I know even 1973 is a long time ago but would like to hear from anyone who knew of this family.
Hi We lived at 45 Mountpottinger, My Parents knew your family sadly they are both passed away, I remember Mrs Willson, she was highly respected when she moved from Beechfield Street my family moved into thier house, this was thanks to one of them kindly giving my parents the info that they where moving. sorry I don't know much more,

Island Girl

« Reply #252 on: February 14, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
any one remember a girl from sheriff st called Margaret Dynes, she was friends with a girl from the mountpottinger rd called Geraldine Thompson, had a Brother called Liam
Yes I remember Margaret and Geraldine, I lived on the mountpottinger Road and we all used to go to school together. Island Girl

Island Girl

« Reply #253 on: February 14, 2010, 08:41:59 PM »

What a fascinating piece of info, I went to school at St Matthews back in 50s and never knew how it got its name.  Talking of St Matthews does anyone know if the tunnel in the chapel grounds that led to the school is still there - I expect not after all these years.
Hi Rosiejoe, I went to St Matthews Girls school, I remember the passage well we used to go into the passage to get into the play ground which was in the left and the way into the convent was on the right, we used to think it was haunted back then, it was always dark cold and spooky even on the brightest summers day,

victor1

« Reply #254 on: February 14, 2010, 08:45:09 PM »

I played snooker with Paddy for the lesa, he was some crack !