Author Topic: Short Strand. East Belfast  (Read 234394 times)

BellaBella

Re: Short Strand. East Belfast
« Reply #1125 on: February 24, 2014, 04:59:32 AM »
Mary I have tried to reply to you, no avail, Maura came to visit me a few years ago , Jim last year he is the spitting image of his father Hughie Stratton, John and Peter still in N I  willie passed a couple of years ago, I have lived in Australia for the last 43 years have gone back a few times but I couldn't live there its nice to see all the relatives again though. Lily Watson died last year whom I stead with when I went over.  Tommy Bradley is still in the uk get a Christmas card every year as far as I know he is ok.   Isobel   

Mary K. Rossi

« Reply #1126 on: February 24, 2014, 01:20:49 PM »
Isobel:  So nice to hear from you.  I was surprised to hear you live in Australia.  How did you end up there.  Are you married, have kids?  What about your father?  I found another cousin, Maureen Bell living there too.  I found her on the Belfast Forum too.  I had lost touch with most of the people I knew, except for the family.  Please give Maura my regards when you hear from her again.  She and I used to hang out together and go to the movies on a Friday night up the Castlerea road.  I have lived in the US since 1957.  It was a big adjustment for me because I came here alone and lived with my sister, Betty.  I missed everyone at home for the longest time, and still have moments when that feeling comes back.  My brother Patrick Kinsella and George Walsh as well as my sisters Joan and Phyllis are still living in Belfast.  I don't know how they survived all the trouble there for so long.  My oldest brother, Michael, will be 90 in May.  The last time I went home was in 1979 after my mother died and I was terrified.  I have adjusted to the life here.  I have two kids, John and Jeannine and five grandkids.  The grandkids are ranging in age from 16 to 22.  4 boys 1 girl.  They are all very good to me.  Thank goodness.  My husband Richard, died in 2004.  Give my love to all.  Write back if you can.  I'm still searching for my old chums from Seafore and Lowry St. Slante,  Mary

Moondog40

« Reply #1127 on: February 24, 2014, 04:52:31 PM »
I knew  marie  stitt. From  Lowry street.    Jimmy irving. Also

BellaBella

« Reply #1128 on: February 24, 2014, 11:56:59 PM »
Moondog I knew Marie stitt. She moved to New Zealand I think don't know jimmy irvine

BellaBella

« Reply #1129 on: February 25, 2014, 12:05:33 AM »
Good u got my message. We moved to oz in 1970 troubles were on at that time I married a chap from the falls rd we have two daughters both interstate no grandkids they r too career minded  .belfast is a great place to visit may go to there in a few years we have a wedding to go to in May or June in New York . Australia is a very big country most folk go to Melbourne or Sydney  where is your friend ? Mary I don't know where the time has flown all the years I have been here I haven't lost my accent . My father remarried I have two half sisters and a half brother he is in New Zealand one sister in France and one in South of Ireland. Seamus passed away a few years back he married a wonderful London lady whom I am still in touch with.  Isobel. 

Mary K. Rossi

« Reply #1130 on: February 25, 2014, 01:12:47 AM »
My sister Phyllis wants to know what about Thomas?  Also, I see someone remembers Marie Stitt from Lowry St.,  I heard from Madeline Lundy's cousin also from Agnes and Marion O'Neill and Mickey (Akie) Curren recently and some others from Seaforde St.  I have been trying to find Ann Wright for years.  No one has contacted me yet about her.  I hear she went to England.  If you are in New York, you should give me a call.  Maybe we can get together.  Where is the wedding?  You mentioned that my aunts, Jinny and Mary used to sell chocolate for charity.  When I was a kid, until I left home, they had me running all over the neighborhood collecting money for Mater Hospital and also for Nazareth Lodge.  They also went on pilgrimages to Knock Shrine.  I think Aunt Mary organized the trips.  Anyway, they always kept me busy with their charity work.

Mary

Mary K. Rossi

« Reply #1131 on: February 25, 2014, 01:13:39 AM »
Forgot to mention that Phyllis' late husband, Hugh Mc Gratten was related to the Strattons.

BellaBella

« Reply #1132 on: February 25, 2014, 05:53:13 AM »
Thomas lives in uk haven't seen him in about 25 years hear he is ok get the odd Christmas card.  Don't know date for the wedding when I do will let know .you know our Thomas was a full cousin on the Bradley's side and full cousin on the Stratton s side his father was a Stratton  Marie stitt lived near the convent side a few doors from the Kelly s next door to the troops remember them.  Margaret Crosby she moved to New York I think.  Isobel

Mary K. Rossi

« Reply #1133 on: February 25, 2014, 08:12:26 PM »
I tried to send you this personal message but it seems not to have gone out to you.

I do remember all who lived on Lowry St.  A great bunch of people.  Do you know anything about Dorothy Mc Guinty?   I heard Ann Burns died recently.  She was a beautiful girl.  Do you do any ancestry research?  I would love to know more about my grandmother.  She was Mary Bradley-Kinsella.  I don't know where in Donegal she came from, but only that the family moved to the Market from there.  I have been doing family research on my mother's side, but don't know much about the Bradleys. 
I live in Holbrook, Long Island, New York.  My phone number here is 631 471-5100.  You can use my email address to get in touch with me if you like. [email protected]    I am retired now.  Lots of time on my hands.

Mary

Moondog40

« Reply #1134 on: February 28, 2014, 12:51:44 AM »
Moondog I knew Marie stitt. She moved to New Zealand I think don't know jimmy irvine
jimmy as married to my late sister and they both.      Marie and jimmy lived in the house in  lowrey st  I was in  nz ast year thin she is now  in oz.  He would be gone  50  odd yrs

kptz

« Reply #1135 on: April 23, 2014, 10:12:28 PM »
Hello,

I am hoping this is the right place to post. 

Are the streets Vulcan, Mountpottiger Rd, Seaforde Street, and Bryson Street in the Short Strand?  I am looking for photos of St. Matthews, inside and out, on Bryson Street.  My great-grandparents and grandparents were baptized and married there.  My grandparent's children were all baptized there. 

Would there be photos of Mountpottinger Rd, Seaforde St, Vulcan around before all the redevelopment?

Thanks in advance.
kptz
kptz

bhelena

« Reply #1136 on: April 24, 2014, 01:54:49 AM »
when i look at the short strand it reminds me of that Elvis song. .. in the ghetto!!!!!!!
Its all of east Belfast that's the ghetto  or maybe just people like you  >:D

barry

« Reply #1137 on: April 24, 2014, 02:11:45 AM »

Hello  Helena ,  how's  things  going,  good  I  hope    *
THAT'S  THE  WAY  I  SEE  IT, THAT'S  THE  WAY I  TELL  IT.

chi

« Reply #1138 on: April 24, 2014, 02:33:06 AM »

My parents were married in St Mathews
My older brothers & sisters went to
school there. I always loved visiting
my aunt who lived on Mountpottinger
across from Vulcan St. :-*
“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

kptz

« Reply #1139 on: April 24, 2014, 05:28:13 AM »

I don't understand your response
kptz