Author Topic: Short Strand. East Belfast  (Read 236927 times)

Gerard Mcg

Re: Short Strand. East Belfast
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2009, 06:32:10 PM »
I was born in 42 Thompson St. in 1955.Lived in The Strand until moving to Carrick in 1968.Now living in  New zealand.Great friends from back then include Gerald Morgan,Michael O'Donnell,John McMahon,Jackie Gartland (all from ThompsonSt).My brother Thomas and sister Lisa still live there.Both my parents Sena McGregor(nee McConvery)and father John/Jack/Jackie are dead.Great place to grow up. Nellie Morgan(mentioned in an earlier post)was Gerald's grannie.Looking back it was,pretty much, a ghetto but we knew no difference when we were growing up.Pa Hump(Mr.Hill) was headmaster and my favourite teacher was Frank McKeever.Any info on any of the above names would be ,greatly,appreciated.

olelad

« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2009, 06:41:20 PM »
the McCullough's moved to Thompson st in 69. corner house witch was on the corner of  woodstock st ? moved to twinbrook i think.

Sheila A

« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2009, 11:01:41 PM »
Knew harry mc custer well I was friends with his son Harry
Jimmyo
Harry McCusker is my brother in law, his father died last year, he was in his 90's.
Sheila A :)

stickyra

« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2009, 11:06:04 PM »
I was born in 42 Thompson St. in 1955.Lived in The Strand until moving to Carrick in 1968.Now living in  New zealand.Great friends from back then include Gerald Morgan,Michael O'Donnell,John McMahon,Jackie Gartland (all from ThompsonSt).My brother Thomas and sister Lisa still live there.Both my parents Sena McGregor(nee McConvery)and father John/Jack/Jackie are dead.Great place to grow up. Nellie Morgan(mentioned in an earlier post)was Gerald's grannie.Looking back it was,pretty much, a ghetto but we knew no difference when we were growing up.Pa Hump(Mr.Hill) was headmaster and my favourite teacher was Frank McKeever.Any info on any of the above names would be ,greatly,appreciated.

My ma came from 55 Thompson Street.  I remember it well.  They are all dead and gone now. I have no relatives left in the Strand. They were proud, upright people.  O0
Ní bheith mo leithid aris ann

patmccullogh

« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2009, 11:32:11 PM »
hi christoper i used to live in da short strand my da was the late keeler mccullogh  im pat

patmccullogh

« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2009, 11:34:05 PM »
the McCullough's moved to Thompson st in 69. corner house witch was on the corner of  woodstock st ? moved to twinbrook i think.

Gerard Mcg

« Reply #96 on: February 08, 2009, 01:08:50 AM »
One of the funniest things I have ever overhead was:- "You want to steer well clear of that place(Short Strand).They eat their young, them uns'" ;D I hadn't the heart to tell him that how come I came to be still living.

olelad

« Reply #97 on: February 08, 2009, 11:28:56 AM »
hi christoper i used to live in da short strand my da was the late keeler mccullogh  im pat

have you a younger brother called thomas ? 

Gerard Mcg

« Reply #98 on: February 08, 2009, 03:18:28 PM »
I sure do. As far as I know he lives in Madrid St.

olelad

« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2009, 09:46:51 PM »
I sure do. As far as I know he lives in Madrid St.

the McCullough's i knew lived in ardgowen st b4 moving to Thompson st. thomas and me were in the same class at st Anthony's

twiggy

« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2009, 11:31:49 PM »
i have the calendar had it sent over, tommy got one as well

okerf2691

« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2009, 06:42:25 PM »
Hello Everyone
Im researching my family tree. I would like to find out about the Wilson family. They lived at 49 Mountpottinger Road in the Short Strand. My great great aunt was Sarah Wilson (Friel). She had sons Edward and William Wilson. Her sister Martha Friel also lived with them.  I found from St Matthews records that Sarah died in 1950, Martha 1947, and Edward in 1973, he was then living in Beechfield Street. I was just wondering did Edward and his wife Ann have any family. I know even 1973 is a long time ago but would like to hear from anyone who knew of this family.

Gerard Mcg

« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2009, 08:36:48 AM »
Frankie Quinn was mentioned earlier in this thread.He did,indeed,have an exhibition and there were photographs of Short Strand.They can be found here:-
http://www.frankiequinn.com/reviews.html.

This;I believe is 42 Thompson St. where I was born. This is how it looked just before it was pulled down in 1985.

Gerard Mcg

« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2009, 07:34:20 PM »

I'm sure that is Jackie Gartland in the middle.A very old mate of mine.
Anyone know anything about what he is doing ??

gerard

« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2009, 10:01:40 PM »

I'm sure that is Jackie Gartland in the middle.A very old mate of mine.
Anyone know anything about what he is doing ??
i'm not a short strand man but that is Ambros Murdock in the middle along with Thomas Ross another market man and Christie Keenan from the market and the strand man ;) ;)