Author Topic: Short Strand. East Belfast  (Read 235166 times)

Christopher

Short Strand. East Belfast
« on: July 27, 2006, 01:43:09 AM »
I'm sure some of you will be interested in a Project that too place between
a group of young people from the Short Strand and a group from Tullycarnett. 

BLOOMFIELD

Re: Short Strand. East Belfast
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 05:19:18 AM »
Christopher

On the surface this all sounds good, BUT

Condoms provide the safest protection against STI’s if used properly.

How is this going to be percieved, and recieved, by most of the Roman Catholic community, and some of the Protestant community.

Or have attitudes towards Condoms changed since I left Ireland. ???

One of our Famous Premiers, Pierre Elliott Trudeau, made this statement in Parliament  "the Government has no place in the bedrooms "  you could also say the same for Religion.
Soldier F Supporter, equal Justice for all.

When will the I.R.A. pay Compensation to their Innocent Victims or Relatives.

Christopher

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 06:19:40 AM »
This article about the Christian Brothers in Ireland may interest you Bloomfield.

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 07:20:26 AM »
Christopher

ALL religion leaves me cold.

More deaths and misery has been committed  " in the name of religion" than any other cause.

olelad

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 09:52:40 PM »
Christopher

ALL religion leaves me cold.

More deaths and misery has been committed  " in the name of religion" than any other cause.

religion wasnt at fault m8. it was people using religion as a scap goat for to go to war.
one god, 10 commandments. hardly an excuse for war !!!!

BLOOMFIELD

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 10:55:02 PM »
olelad

RE-read my post, note the part in BOLD

There is nothing wrong with "most" religions, it's the [censored] that believe in, and twist it, that causes the problems.
Especially the ones who believe that the others who do not believe as they do, will "BURN IN HELL".
What a bunch of nutters.

ulsterstan

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 11:34:50 PM »
Religion is man made excuses for their way to God , The bible is the inspired word of God  ,read it and  then be directed as to how it  teaches . There is no one religion mentioned in the bible . I'm thankful for at least one thing each day I wake up ,breath, means He's given me another day to live . We don't answer for religions we all have a choice  believe in God or don't.
Stan Sloan.

olelad

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 10:28:00 AM »
Religion is man made excuses for their way to God , The bible is the inspired word of God  ,read it and  then be directed as to how it  teaches . There is no one religion mentioned in the bible . I'm thankful for at least one thing each day I wake up ,breath, means He's given me another day to live . We don't answer for religions we all have a choice  believe in God or don't.

sounds good.

olelad

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 10:31:26 AM »
just to get back to the short strand. anyone remember the short strand the way it used to be ? b4 it was rebuilt. spend many aday playing around it as some of my m8 from school came from down there. streets i remember was thompson st, anderson st, clyde st, beechfield st, woodstock st. alot of folk from there moved to downpatrick and over to twinbrook around the years between 1972 and 1974. plenty went to craigavon as well.

maggiemay

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 11:33:35 AM »
Yes,I rememger Short Strand before redevelopment.I worked there for 13 years.Some of the happiest days of my life!.Great,generous people!!!
Still visit sometimes.the redevelopment work started whilst I worked there.It's so changed.

craigyroo

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2006, 07:33:58 PM »
when i look at the short strand it reminds me of that Elvis song. .. in the ghetto!!!!!!!

olelad

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 09:59:19 PM »
Yes,I rememger Short Strand before redevelopment.I worked there for 13 years.Some of the happiest days of my life!.Great,generous people!!!
Still visit sometimes.the redevelopment work started whilst I worked there.It's so changed.

when did the redevelopment start there ? as i said lots of folk from the strand moved out between the years 72/75 while others were more than glad to move in. belfast was like that back then !

maggiemay

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 10:04:38 PM »
I think the redevelopment started around early 1980s

olelad

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2006, 11:06:52 PM »
I think the redevelopment started around early 1980s

cheers.
 just out of interest, did you ever hear why so many from there moved down to downpatrick ??

maggiemay

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2006, 11:14:02 PM »
Don't really knoe but I know a lot of them did before I srarted working there.I suppose they moved to be with family who already moved to Downpatrick