Author Topic: Short Strand. East Belfast  (Read 286739 times)

pq

Re: Short Strand. East Belfast
« Reply #270 on: February 20, 2010, 10:52:04 PM »
hi short strand crowd i can claim dual membership my parents (dont we get a bit posh) ma and da lived as lodgers in maggie browns house 99 short strand but i was born in the royal and brought up in my grannies in the market until they got a room in the markets .i love both places many happy memories of the strand and my mates over there most have passed away now and i am only 57 but the strand gave a lot .one thing about the market and the strand comes to my mind was in the 60s what did the divide across the albert bridge mean DOWN v ANTRIM it near caused murder in st agustines.
quae sursum volo videre

Alaun

« Reply #271 on: February 21, 2010, 02:44:02 AM »
I think that the shop at Nobels field was Youngs and the wife Theresa was a McGuigan before she was married, I also think that it was her mother Carrie and her father (Faley) McGuigan, who had the shop at the top of Arran street. I lived in Arran street and they were 2nd cousins through marriage.

close

« Reply #272 on: February 21, 2010, 10:15:47 AM »
Matt stitt was a realy good friend of mine and I remember him talking about owening a shop in the late sixties.
I don't think it lasted very long. But I think the location was on the cornerr of beachfeild st and Bryson st.Teresa young worked for him people m
ay have had the impression that it was youngs but matt stitt owened the shop
The shop at nobles field in the early sixties was definatley owened by someone else at that time maybe later on the youngs may have been involved

GandT

« Reply #273 on: February 21, 2010, 11:33:23 AM »
I had the name Danny in my head but wasnt sure.

Don't wish to confuse the issue further but it is quite possible that all posts are correct. May Young most definitely worked in the shop in Seaforde Street in the 1950s and it was always called 'May Young's'. It could have been that someone else actually OWNED it. The 60s could have seen a change.
Was just wondering REP 1 if the 'Danny' you remember was a Danny Lennon. I seem to remember he and his wife running a wee shop in Beechfield Street at one point. I think he was actually a brother (or related to) Tommy Lennon (RIP) who owned the jewellery / trophy shop at Smithfield and supplied trophies to GAA, feiseanna etc

olelad

« Reply #274 on: February 21, 2010, 12:42:57 PM »
talking of seaforde st. any of yous remember martin power RIP who came from there ?

REP1

« Reply #275 on: February 21, 2010, 01:49:10 PM »
talking of seaforde st. any of yous remember martin power RIP who came from there ?

Was he a ginger haired Guy
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

REP1

« Reply #276 on: February 21, 2010, 02:00:29 PM »

Don't wish to confuse the issue further but it is quite possible that all posts are correct. May Young most definitely worked in the shop in Seaforde Street in the 1950s and it was always called 'May Young's'. It could have been that someone else actually OWNED it. The 60s could have seen a change.
Was just wondering REP 1 if the 'Danny' you remember was a Danny Lennon. I seem to remember he and his wife running a wee shop in Beechfield Street at one point. I think he was actually a brother (or related to) Tommy Lennon (RIP) who owned the jewellery / trophy shop at Smithfield and supplied trophies to GAA, feiseanna etc

The reason I am sure that there was a man that owned the shop. I used to go there on the way to School in mid Sixties. Then one day the shop was closed. The reason it was closed the man who owned it was badly beaten up and hospitalised, he never reopened again. Others may have owned it before or after.

noots123

« Reply #277 on: February 21, 2010, 02:58:15 PM »
I remember the powers they lived  beside the bottling store.

olelad

« Reply #278 on: February 21, 2010, 04:02:42 PM »

thats him

road hog

« Reply #279 on: February 21, 2010, 06:34:35 PM »

Martin moved to Craigavon at the time of the big immigration, spoke to him many times, he died very sudden, hope hes in heaven, not a bad big soul
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

REP1

« Reply #280 on: February 21, 2010, 06:37:50 PM »
road hog Did he live next door to the shop we are talking about.

road hog

« Reply #281 on: February 21, 2010, 07:05:08 PM »
road hog Did he live next door to the shop we are talking about.
I think he lived facing it
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

olelad

« Reply #282 on: February 21, 2010, 07:22:59 PM »
Martin moved to Craigavon at the time of the big immigration, spoke to him many times, he died very sudden, hope hes in heaven, not a bad big soul

good guy indeed. he was a mate of mine. RIP

BUFFALOBURGER

« Reply #283 on: February 22, 2010, 12:19:55 AM »
This is turning into a puzzler! I'm gonna have to give my mate a ring tomorrow, if anyone would know who owned this shop it should be him! He lived on the corner of Seaforde Street & Comber St for years!

In the meantime, here's a name from the past who also happened to live a couple of doors down from the shop... Bunny McQuade!

brianmckeever

« Reply #284 on: February 22, 2010, 07:33:04 AM »
Gerard Mcg! You mentioned your favourite teacher in St matthews was my brother Frank Mc Keever. same as you I,m in New Zealand---Hastings. Brian

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy