Author Topic: Short Strand. East Belfast  (Read 239207 times)

victor1

Re: Short Strand. East Belfast
« Reply #285 on: February 22, 2010, 08:06:55 AM »
Bunny McQuade. .DING !!

noots123

« Reply #286 on: February 22, 2010, 12:03:55 PM »
Frank Mc Keever was a very respected teacher at St Matthews he taught my brothers my husband and my eldest son.

victor1

« Reply #287 on: February 22, 2010, 01:03:06 PM »
Taught me too, couldn't say a bad thing about the man as stated above, very respected teacher In St Matts.

Gerard Mcg

« Reply #288 on: February 23, 2010, 01:15:45 AM »
Gerard Mcg! You mentioned your favourite teacher in St matthews was my brother Frank Mc Keever. same as you I,m in New Zealand---Hastings. Brian

Your brother was my favourite teacher at any level.He had a vocation.Teaching was,obviously,much more than a job to him.He taught like he carried himself-with style.For me,he was very special.I was lucky to have him in P5 and P6.

Funny little world we live in-is it hot enough for you,down there in Hastings?

BUFFALOBURGER

« Reply #289 on: February 24, 2010, 12:57:05 AM »
I checked with my mate and he said for as long as he could remember that shop on the corner of Nobels Field & Seaforde St was always known by him & his mate's as Mary Mo's!

Can anybody remember the name of the newsagents that was under the railway bridge near Memel St and was still open until the 1980's? This photo was taken in 1945.

brianmckeever

« Reply #290 on: February 24, 2010, 10:54:11 AM »
Sure is hot as hell here!
Frank died in 1993---a brain tumour.  His son John works for an IT firm in Belfast.  The other son, Paul, was one of the first Catholics to join the PSNI and from what I hear he is well liked patrolling West Belfast. His daughter Romy has a family around Ormeau. His widow Rosemary has been to see us in New Zealand three or four times and on her first visit went para-gliding off Te Mata Peak here in Hawkes Bay.

Jim B

« Reply #291 on: February 24, 2010, 01:08:09 PM »
Frank also taught myself, if I rememeber rightly, he was a very competent squash player.
My battery was dead...

road hog

« Reply #292 on: February 24, 2010, 02:02:33 PM »
I checked with my mate and he said for as long as he could remember that shop on the corner of Nobels Field & Seaforde St was always known by him & his mate's as Mary Mo's!

Can anybody remember the name of the newsagents that was under the railway bridge near Memel St and was still open until the 1980's? This photo was taken in 1945.

B burger, REP1, myself and others of the same era, (pre decimalisation,)were wondering who owned it at that time, I think youngs did. 
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

road hog

« Reply #293 on: February 24, 2010, 02:06:38 PM »
Do any of you remember Laverys bottling store in Seaforde St? as we passed it coming from school the smell was brilliant.

REP1

« Reply #294 on: February 24, 2010, 02:39:56 PM »
Do any of you remember Laverys bottling store in Seaforde St? as we passed it coming from school the smell was brilliant.

I used to work in it part time. an odd couple of hours after school moving creates around as they came off the bottling machine. First time I ever tasted Coca Cola they stocked it for sale. been addicted to it ever since. they must have lost a fortune in broken bottles due to the troubles.
I have just been outside the Guinness factory in Dublin a couple of hours ago same smell in the air
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

GandT

« Reply #295 on: February 24, 2010, 04:04:48 PM »
Do any of you remember Laverys bottling store in Seaforde St? as we passed it coming from school the smell was brilliant

Remember vividly, Road Hog. Particularly that it sometime had barrels outside ready to be taken away. The rough wood texture, the smell where the alcohol (stout was it mainly?) had seeped into the sides of the barrel, the plug hole on the outside. I think I recall a friend of mine (Gerard Gorman) and myself hiding in them one day. Our intention was not to go back to school - a rough shout, a threatened kick up the backside and, if I recall correctly, the reckless courage of the two would-be mitchers poured away - as quickly as the drink and as the memories

road hog

« Reply #296 on: February 24, 2010, 07:06:54 PM »
GrandT, REP1, the smell was great, just imagine being an alco and living a few doors away, its would put you crackers :D

mickybo

« Reply #297 on: February 24, 2010, 11:22:18 PM »

great pic buffloburger! any more from that end of the strand? seems to b lot of buildings where the green is now, too young 2 remember anything but waste ground in that area, apperently there was a cinema called the popular(the pop) at the end of the mountpottinger, anyone any pics of that?
Dont eat the yellow snow.

REP1

« Reply #298 on: February 24, 2010, 11:43:07 PM »

REP1

« Reply #299 on: February 24, 2010, 11:45:51 PM »