Author Topic: Short Strand. East Belfast  (Read 238255 times)

BUFFALOBURGER

Re: Short Strand. East Belfast
« Reply #315 on: February 27, 2010, 12:23:48 AM »
great pic buffloburger! any more from that end of the strand? seems to b lot of buildings where the green is now, too young 2 remember anything but waste ground in that area, apperently there was a cinema called the popular(the pop) at the end of the mountpottinger, anyone any pics of that?

Aye mickybo I've got some photos taken around the lower N'ards road and the Green all taken in the late 60's, I'm just waiting for the person to whom I lent the CD with photos on it to return it hopefully over the weekend! As soon as I get it back I'll post them for ya. Here's another photo from the same area as the last one. It's Dalton street looking up to Memel Street taken in June 1970.

victor1

« Reply #316 on: February 27, 2010, 07:52:22 AM »
Thats a cracker buffalo, I got my booolers kicked in at Memel St by the Leckeys( rem them ? ) and their crony's lol always remember the Orange Arch at Memel St and still think of it to this day as I walk the bridge, at least now we can walk it, in our day it was a no no ! lol

mickybo

« Reply #317 on: February 27, 2010, 02:28:46 PM »

Aye mickybo I've got some photos taken around the lower N'ards road and the Green all taken in the late 60's, I'm just waiting for the person to whom I lent the CD with photos on it to return it hopefully over the weekend! As soon as I get it back I'll post them for ya. Here's another photo from the same area as the last one. It's Dalton street looking up to Memel Street taken in June 1970.

good man buffalo, can just remember a bar about the green called the talk of the town, not sure wat happened 2 it, was also streets there b4 the flyover again a bit b4 my time. 
Dont eat the yellow snow.

mickybo

« Reply #318 on: February 27, 2010, 02:39:10 PM »
Thats a cracker buffalo, I got my booolers kicked in at Memel St by the Leckeys( rem them ? ) and their crony's lol always remember the Orange Arch at Memel St and still think of it to this day as I walk the bridge, at least now we can walk it, in our day it was a no no ! lol
had many of run in with the leckeys, we lived in quinn st and one day they managed 2 get on the roof of the sirocco works overlooking quinn st and threw bricks down at the windows smashing quite a few,when people ran into the street they made off shouting the usual slogans, after that episode everyone in the street were a bit fearful that they wud use the same tactics 4 something of a more sinister attack.

mickybo

« Reply #319 on: February 27, 2010, 02:46:07 PM »
I believe the Pop was on the corner of the mountpottinger rd, were strand walk is.  It opened in 1917 closed 1972 and had 1100 seats.
think ur spot on girl from the block, goin by wat my older brothers and sister tell me u cud  pay in with a JAM JAR! anyone else heard of this?

Jim B

« Reply #320 on: February 27, 2010, 04:46:26 PM »
We used our jam jars Mick to attack the Leckey's. Jake, Arter and myself The Short Strand Reaction Force.
My battery was dead...

REP1

« Reply #321 on: February 27, 2010, 05:53:29 PM »
Not the sort of stuff we need to hear lads.
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

girl from the block

« Reply #322 on: February 27, 2010, 08:07:17 PM »
think ur spot on girl from the block, goin by wat my older brothers and sister tell me u cud  pay in with a JAM JAR! anyone else heard of this? This is true it was sixpence or two jam jars ive been told

olelad

« Reply #323 on: February 27, 2010, 08:16:38 PM »
what was name of the pub on the corner of the mountpottinger and albertbridge rd ? bar 21 or something like that ?

girl from the block

« Reply #324 on: February 27, 2010, 08:34:40 PM »
Would anybody know where Newfoundland St. was?  Found my granda on the 1911 cencus but me da doesn't know where it was.  Might be to early to remember!

REP1

« Reply #325 on: February 27, 2010, 08:38:07 PM »
what was name of the pub on the corner of the mountpottinger and albertbridge rd ? bar 21 or something like that ?

The Bar was Hunt & Hinds
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

artibell

« Reply #326 on: February 27, 2010, 08:51:09 PM »
Would anybody know where Newfoundland St. was?  Found my granda on the 1911 cencus but me da doesn't know where it was.  Might be to early to remember!

Off Memel Street East Belfast

olelad

« Reply #327 on: February 27, 2010, 09:18:01 PM »

The Bar was Hunt & Hinds

what years was it known as that ? id be quite sure that around late 60s early 70s b4 it went for a burton it was called something differant ? !

Gerard Mcg

« Reply #328 on: February 27, 2010, 10:23:10 PM »

what years was it known as that ? id be quite sure that around late 60s early 70s b4 it went for a burton it was called something differant ? !

96 ring any bells?

GandT

« Reply #329 on: February 27, 2010, 10:36:38 PM »
96 ring any bells?

Gor some reason, G, that number sticks in my head as having been the Bridge Bar but could be totally mistaken. Bar 21 may have been Hunts and Hinds ok.