Author Topic: Short Strand. East Belfast  (Read 234450 times)

McNamee

Re: Short Strand. East Belfast
« Reply #420 on: March 11, 2010, 02:44:42 PM »
Road Hog is that anywhere near Chemical Alley.. ;)

frank.m

« Reply #421 on: March 11, 2010, 04:07:06 PM »

I think Mickbo is older than me and I can vaguely remember getting candy apples at your Dad's house. I even remember buying a parachutist figure. You would fold the parachute up and then throw the action figure up into the air and it would float back down again! I lost a couple of them when they floated down into Patsy Curran's backyard on the corner of Mountpottinger Rd & Chemical St & snowball their dog ripped them to pieces! LOL

Frank correct me if I'm wrong but did your Dad have a handcart? The reason I ask is that I used to hang about with your nephew Jim from the mid 1970's to the mid 80's and I kind of remember seeing a photo of possibly your dad beside a handcart in Sheriff St. I do remember however calling into your Mums house with Jim and playing cards with her.. she should have gone professional! A harsh lesson learned there much to my cost!! LOL

I also remember your Bobby used to Taxi  back in the 1970's. (I still see him from time to time in the Morning Star pub). I think the darts player Bobby George visted your Mums a couple of times when Bobby was his driver driving him about when he was in Belfast doing exhibitions.
hi buffaloburger you are right there was a photo of my dad in the short strand calendar i look forward to that calendar every year my sister always sends me one

mickybo

« Reply #422 on: March 11, 2010, 06:59:21 PM »

Dorithy Malone Anderson ST
Thought u mite say that REP1 lol, but wud tend 2 agree with u, if u cud jog my memory, didnt she have a little shop that didnt sell much!? can only rem going there 2 get candy apples.
Dont eat the yellow snow.

mickybo

« Reply #423 on: March 11, 2010, 07:46:25 PM »
yes your right mickybo dicky may was my dad 20 sheriff st
he also sold candy apples i think it was before your time
U r paying me a compliment frank, on the wrong side of 40 lol, come to think of it, must have been calling for the candy apples rather than the healthy ones, but knew i was on the right track with the fruit and veg.

REP1

« Reply #424 on: March 11, 2010, 09:00:19 PM »
Thought u mite say that REP1 lol, but wud tend 2 agree with u, if u cud jog my memory, didnt she have a little shop that didnt sell much!? can only rem going there 2 get candy apples.

Micky she sold them from her house I don't think she sold anthing else. But there were loads of people selling different things from there homes, another women in Anderson Street was Lizzie Carson who sold lemonade from her house, She was killed in the Strand bar she was really nice person.
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

mickybo

« Reply #425 on: March 11, 2010, 09:14:02 PM »

Micky she sold them from her house I don't think she sold anthing else. But there were loads of people selling different things from there homes, another women in Anderson Street was Lizzie Carson who sold lemonade from her house, She was killed in the Strand bar she was really nice person.
thanks 4 keeping me rite REP, but wasthere another shop-type house in the street?

REP1

« Reply #426 on: March 11, 2010, 09:36:51 PM »
There was a house that looked like a shop from the outside that belonged to Jane Donaldson.

road hog

« Reply #427 on: March 11, 2010, 09:52:23 PM »
Road Hog is that anywhere near Chemical Alley.. ;)
Mc Namee,the candy apples that Mrs Mc Curdy made were the best, she dipped them in coconut flakes before any of us knew what a coconut was :D but hte street wasnt far from the alley :D
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

road hog

« Reply #428 on: March 11, 2010, 09:55:37 PM »
There was a house that looked like a shop from the outside that belonged to Jane Donaldson.
Yes REP, we were far away relations of the Donaldsons, all I can remember is the shop sold sweets, there never seemed to be any bread or ham etc, may be Im wrong

Island Girl

« Reply #429 on: March 12, 2010, 09:00:44 PM »
Hello Everyone
Im researching my family tree. I would like to find out about the Wilson family. They lived at 49 Mountpottinger Road in the Short Strand. My great great aunt was Sarah Wilson (Friel). She had sons Edward and William Wilson. Her sister Martha Friel also lived with them.  I found from St Matthews records that Sarah died in 1950, Martha 1947, and Edward in 1973, he was then living in Beechfield Street. I was just wondering did Edward and his wife Ann have any family. I know even 1973 is a long time ago but would like to hear from anyone who knew of this family.
Hi, i have contacted you before and you got back in touch with me, I am sorry I haven't replied but I am finding my way round and not very well it appears! I have asked my brother 'Big Man' if he can remember the Willson family and he can, when I next go home I will try and find out if any one still living in Beechfield St remembers them. I don't think they had any children but it may be worth contacting the local church which is St Matthews. as they would have baptisim records.
Cheers
Island Girl

speedwobble

« Reply #430 on: March 13, 2010, 02:48:35 AM »
I have traced my family (Keegan) back to the Short Strand in the 1900's and beyond.  My Grt Aunt was Margaret Keegan married to William O'Hara and was living in Vulcan Street in 1911.  My Grt Grandfather (Thomas Keegan) was living with her after she was married.  My Grt Uncle James Keegan lived in Altcar Street, James was Thomas brother.

As I have always seen myself as an Ulster Scot, I am really chuffed to see my background is not what I always thought.  If anyone can help me add to the family history I would be very grteful.

road hog

« Reply #431 on: March 13, 2010, 07:03:06 AM »
Island Girl, your back, I thought someone had stolen your computer :D . Is every thing going alright with you hubby

mickybo

« Reply #432 on: March 13, 2010, 12:18:41 PM »
Yes REP, we were far away relations of the Donaldsons, all I can remember is the shop sold sweets, there never seemed to be any bread or ham etc, may be Im wrong
Thats what i thought road hog but maybe REP knos better being a close neighbour,i rem the donaldsons, did they move somewhere around the mountpottinger after the terrible events in the street?

REP1

« Reply #433 on: March 13, 2010, 12:32:53 PM »
Jane, lived for many years with her daughter Annie and son in-law Paddy Mulligan, moved to Clandeboye.

road hog

« Reply #434 on: March 13, 2010, 01:28:26 PM »
After the event in the street, they moved into one of the houses on the mountpottinger rd, facing the picturedrome, from there, probably to were they are now.REP1 would know more about the shop, he ran a tab up in it :D