Author Topic: Short Strand. East Belfast  (Read 234668 times)

REP1

Re: Short Strand. East Belfast
« Reply #540 on: April 07, 2010, 07:57:54 AM »
That picture of Sheriff street the Car on the left was mine, It was a Fiat 132 a great car. Parked outside Charley McDowells house.
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

BUFFALOBURGER

« Reply #541 on: April 07, 2010, 01:09:33 PM »

Yer well out of the Strand now REP1 I'm looking out of the window now at approx 100 people watching the Police raid a house. They've found Heroin & a gun and are still searching the property (no.5). Meanwhile the streets other 2 Drug dealers are perched on my window sill watching everything with interest! This place has gone to the dogs!

sydenhambetty

« Reply #542 on: April 07, 2010, 01:40:18 PM »
Buffalo, now that makes me sad. I,ll keep my memories thanks to the pictures you have posted. :(
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.  Oscar Wilde

BUFFALOBURGER

« Reply #543 on: April 07, 2010, 02:01:02 PM »
Buffalo, now that makes me sad. I,ll keep my memories thanks to the pictures you have posted. :(

Glad you liked the photos Betty, it's a pity the current generation don't seem to have the morals or sense of decency their parents or Grandparents seemed to have, unfortunately it's an all too common occurrence these days. It's no wonder my wife & I are considering moving somewhere else.

On a different note, I'm hoping to get a load of new pics transferred off my old computer and on to my laptop, and then eventually post some of them onto this site over the next few weeks. There are quiet a few taken from the 1940's right through to the present day. If you have a particular street or location you'd like to see just say and I'll keep an eye open for it.

:smile:

sydenhambetty

« Reply #544 on: April 07, 2010, 03:18:26 PM »
Buffalo, that would be great. My family all grew up in Altcar St., my Mother and her Mother before her. All my
sisters and brothers and aunts and uncles.We moved to Sydenham when I was two but I still spent a lot of my
time as a teenager there before I left for Canada. I still have two cousins in Arran Street. Thank you so much
for the time you are taking to keep our memories alive. :air_kiss:
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.  Oscar Wilde

road hog

« Reply #545 on: April 07, 2010, 04:07:31 PM »
That picture of Sheriff street the Car on the left was mine, It was a Fiat 132 a great car. Parked outside Charley McDowells house.
THE best car you had REP was the sunbeam rapier, you thought I had forgot about that one ;)
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

REP1

« Reply #546 on: April 07, 2010, 04:37:41 PM »
THE best car you had REP was the sunbeam rapier, you thought I had forgot about that one ;)

That was my first car it had twin carbs, I loved it. didn't have it more than a few moths then the engine needed changing, before that I had a bedford van when I was fifteen.
How the hell did you remember that?
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

road hog

« Reply #547 on: April 07, 2010, 05:20:26 PM »

That was my first car it had twin carbs, I loved it. didn't have it more than a few moths then the engine needed changing, before that I had a bedford van when I was fifteen.
How the hell did you remember that?
the car I had at that time was a HA viva, with more leaks than the titanic, and used more oil than Red Adair, when I saw the sunbeam I just drooled, could never forget that yoke
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

bridge ender

« Reply #548 on: April 07, 2010, 08:54:06 PM »
Duggans shop was at the corner of middlepath st and foundry st and Khartom st before the sydenham by pass was built.
Life is lived forwards and understood backwards.

olelad

« Reply #549 on: April 07, 2010, 09:10:24 PM »
Buffalo, that would be great. My family all grew up in Altcar St., my Mother and her Mother before her. All my
sisters and brothers and aunts and uncles.We moved to Sydenham when I was two but I still spent a lot of my
time as a teenager there before I left for Canada. I still have two cousins in Arran Street. Thank you so much
for the time you are taking to keep our memories alive. :air_kiss:

do you remember the pattersons from altcar st ?

bridge ender

« Reply #550 on: April 07, 2010, 09:17:38 PM »
anyone out there remember  Khartom St and the top end of Foundry st    Diver Griffen used to live last house beside the railway wall.
Life is lived forwards and understood backwards.

BUFFALOBURGER

« Reply #551 on: April 08, 2010, 01:25:26 AM »
Duggans shop was at the corner of middlepath st and foundry st and Khartom st before the sydenham by pass was built.

Thanks bridge ender for solving that wee mystery!

:smile: :smile: :smile:

frankieleonard

« Reply #552 on: April 11, 2010, 07:02:34 PM »
Don't really knoe but I know a lot of them did before I srarted working there.I suppose they moved to be with family who already moved to Downpatrick
as a kid i can always remember to be a true strandie u live between bells quinn st to hamills

Alaun

« Reply #553 on: April 12, 2010, 06:46:42 AM »
I always thought that if you were born and reared on the Short Strand side of the Mountpottinger Road, that you are a true Strandie. The other side of the the Mountpottinger you are classed as either from St.Matthews or Ballymacarret

frankieleonard

« Reply #554 on: April 12, 2010, 10:13:11 PM »
I always thought that if you were born and reared on the Short Strand side of the Mountpottinger Road, that you are a true Strandie. The other side of the the Mountpottinger you are classed as either from St.Matthews or Ballymacarret
as a kid we use to fight andersos st clyde st and the rest for the bonfire wood on the 15th august bonfires this was before the troubles started and while im here anybody know the the whereabouts of shug mc grevy from anderson st