Author Topic: Short Strand. East Belfast  (Read 236159 times)

anamcara01

Re: Short Strand. East Belfast
« Reply #630 on: June 10, 2010, 11:45:43 AM »
The Thomas McGuigan in the photos is my cousin. I keep in touch with him regularly. I last saw him in January when I was back for an old aunt's funeral. he is one of the best people you could meet
tell him mairtin was asking about him , he used to teach me irish many many years ago the best teacher of our language i have ever come across and a wonderful human being.
Truth in our hearts. Strength in our hands. Consistency in our tongues

celticflower28

« Reply #631 on: June 10, 2010, 09:31:41 PM »
Wow Uncle Mickybo! Da said there was some pics on here of Auntie Marie, Granny and Granda Hugh! They are so cool! How glam was Auntie Marie?

mickybo

« Reply #632 on: June 10, 2010, 10:02:33 PM »
Wow Uncle Mickybo! Da said there was some pics on here of Auntie Marie, Granny and Granda Hugh! They are so cool! How glam was Auntie Marie?
hi ya and welome 2 the forum! yeah some great pics and hope 2 post some more if i can find who nicked them from winnie's!
Dont eat the yellow snow.

celticflower28

« Reply #633 on: June 10, 2010, 10:09:33 PM »
Cool! I always wondered where those pics went! They were fab! I used to love going back to Lough Lea and looking at them with Winnie when she was alive! Funny reading about some things u got up to as a child!

mickybo

« Reply #634 on: June 10, 2010, 10:26:09 PM »
Cool! I always wondered where those pics went! They were fab! I used to love going back to Lough Lea and looking at them with Winnie when she was alive! Funny reading about some things u got up to as a child!
have asked around 4 pics but everyone denies having any!?  there were loads so some one has them!!!
Dont eat the yellow snow.

Alaun

« Reply #635 on: June 11, 2010, 03:40:19 AM »
I will certainly tell Thomas you were asking about him Mairtin. I will be sending him a birthday card next week ( 70th) and I will put a wee note in it. I am here in Australia, but go back a lot, I will be back for christmas this year, and will see him then as well, :smile:

anamcara01

« Reply #636 on: June 11, 2010, 08:39:18 AM »
I will certainly tell Thomas you were asking about him Mairtin. I will be sending him a birthday card next week ( 70th) and I will put a wee note in it. I am here in Australia, but go back a lot, I will be back for christmas this year, and will see him then as well, :smile:
say to "Tomás lá breith shona duit a Sean Chara" a wonderful human being who left an imprint on many a persons lives and also gave the love of the Irish language to a new generation, also he drove the bus to portlaoise so that many a family could visit their loved ones held prisoners of war in gaols in the north and in the south, Beir Bua Máirtín 

Alaun

« Reply #637 on: June 12, 2010, 12:19:56 AM »
I will print this off and put it in his card when I send it next week

frankieleonard

« Reply #638 on: June 18, 2010, 02:17:06 PM »
aluan that frankie quinn u were talking about didnt from kilmood st did he have a bro called pat

Alaun

« Reply #639 on: June 19, 2010, 03:33:09 AM »
I dont know if he did. I know his mother Alice very well, we share cousins. The Thomas McGuigan in my earlier post is her cousin on his fathers side and I'm his cousin on his mother's side

victor1

« Reply #640 on: July 06, 2010, 07:05:46 AM »
Frankie Quinn is originally from Clyde Street.

anamcara01

« Reply #641 on: July 06, 2010, 09:24:56 PM »
Frankie Quinn is originally from Clyde Street.

a great photographer, if you ever see him ask him to tell you the story of barry kelly's car lol 

frankieleonard

« Reply #642 on: July 13, 2010, 03:28:31 PM »
victor 1 know frankie well been away to long

frankieleonard

« Reply #643 on: July 13, 2010, 03:33:37 PM »
frank m sorry mate plans have changed cant make belfast this year if ur on facebook send me a friends request love to hear from u youve got the name just look out for the celtic badge

Aidan

« Reply #644 on: August 11, 2010, 05:52:37 PM »
Hello everyone from the Strand, when I was a wee kid there we used to call it Ballymacarrett.  I left Belfast in 1968 and I had my first trip back last year. The place was different with the new houses etc, but the people were the same, good people.  I was in a bar in Castle Street with one of my cousins and she said to me, "there is a fella at the bar who knows you"   As you can expect I couldnt believe it, but sure enough there he was and he remembered me very well, Thanks Paddy,you cant imagine what its like to be away for 42 years and have someone in a bar see you and remember you. Now thats what the Strand/Ballymacarrett is all about.  I only wish I could have caught up with a lot of other people who lived there and I went to school with while I was there.