Author Topic: Short Strand. East Belfast  (Read 234602 times)

ceili

Re: Short Strand. East Belfast
« Reply #645 on: August 17, 2010, 11:21:54 AM »
Hello everyone, I just came across this forum (Short Strand) and I am presently reading through all the posts, time consuming but very interesting.
Does anyone remember a guy called Danny Lawlor (I hope I spelt his surname correctly) from the Strand? Or where he is or what happened to him since the late 70's. He would be around the 50 year old mark.
Buffaloburger; I can't view the photo's you posted, (maybe you removed them?) are you able to send them to me or post them back up the forum again?

ceili

« Reply #646 on: August 17, 2010, 02:24:33 PM »
Well, I finally read through all the posts and hopefully I am up to speed with what's going on here. lol
I have just a few comments on past posts, so forgive me if I go over old material.
victor1 you were talking about getting into a few stoushes with the Leckey's from Memel Street, you must remember the Ludlow's as well then?
olelad, I certainly remember the way the old Strand used to be. I lived in what was left of the original Lagan village at 77 Ravenhill Road from 1959 to 1964. I can remember my Dad taking me by the hand down the Ravenhill Road and across into the Short Strand and following the curve of the road around until it came out beside the Sirocco works. I can remember the posters on the side walls of the 'Talk of the Town' across from the Sirocco works promoting the upcoming showbands. I can also remember my Dad stopping in at the pub on the corner of Memel Street for a pint before dragging me the whole way into Corporation Street to sign on the brew.
I remember when it was still possible to walk into Cluan place from the Mountpottinger Road end. I also remember going to the Picturedrome with my Mum around 1966 to see 'The Green Berets'. I remember that my dad had friends in Mountpottinger that he used to visit (I often wonder who they were), he used to call in at a house on Mountpottinger Road and another on the Short Strand.

ceili

« Reply #647 on: August 17, 2010, 02:39:58 PM »
Did you know that the Sirocco works had a world first when they developed an air-conditioning system for the Royal Victoria Hospital?
My father in-law told me this many a year ago. (he used to work there in the late 50's)

Aidan

« Reply #648 on: August 18, 2010, 04:40:46 AM »
HI, I dont know the Leckeys from memel St, but it brings back memories, I got my first "Kicking" at memel St,
I was walking to my Grannys at the Strand with a mate from Oxford St Christian Brothers, as we were walking past Memel ST he yelled out some comment about the Queen and took off running, he never told me and I was too slow and ended up with a kicking, ah well thats the learnin of Belfast hahahahaha

olelad

« Reply #649 on: August 18, 2010, 02:54:52 PM »
when it came to kicking you want to have tryed living up the woodstock in the early 70s. once your head went outside the door you was on the run and if caught a kicking awaited.

Aidan

« Reply #650 on: August 19, 2010, 02:35:58 AM »
Hey olelad, I knocked around the Strand, but I lived in the Braniel, I dont think too many days went by that you weren't in a stoush

olelad

« Reply #651 on: August 20, 2010, 10:11:06 PM »
Hey olelad, I knocked around the Strand, but I lived in the Braniel, I dont think too many days went by that you weren't in a stoush

indeed.  if you went aday or two without getting in a ruck you was in bed sick !  :smile:

mickybo

« Reply #652 on: August 20, 2010, 11:18:43 PM »
Hello everyone, I just came across this forum (Short Strand) and I am presently reading through all the posts, time consuming but very interesting.
Does anyone remember a guy called Danny Lawlor (I hope I spelt his surname correctly) from the Strand? Or where he is or what happened to him since the late 70's. He would be around the 50 year old mark.
Buffaloburger; I can't view the photo's youposted, (maybe you removed them?) are you able to send them to me or post them back up the forum again?
Hi celli, went to school with danny lawlor but i moved away from the strand in the early 80's and havent seen him in many years, will try 2 find out wat he at these days and gte back 2 u, u described the strand down 2 a tee, i lived in the shadow of the sirocco works, in fact it was in our back yard! also had a few run in with the leckys down around the bridge end.
Dont eat the yellow snow.

anamcara01

« Reply #653 on: August 21, 2010, 03:23:47 PM »
Buffaloburger; I can't view the photo's youposted, (maybe you removed them?) are you able to send them to me or post them back up the forum again?

danny lawlor is still in the strand as is his brother terry a great fellow both of them , and any one from the strand its self would only be too happy to put you in touch with him, i think he is a regular in the st matts club on a saturday
Truth in our hearts. Strength in our hands. Consistency in our tongues

frank.m

« Reply #654 on: August 26, 2010, 04:54:42 PM »
That picture of Sheriff street the Car on the left was mine, It was a Fiat 132 a great car. Parked outside Charley McDowells house.
      hi rep1 was home last week and received a cd called
no time to say goodbye i belived it was preformed by you
if so it is very-very good keep up the good work

REP1

« Reply #655 on: August 26, 2010, 05:22:16 PM »
Thanks Frank, its dedicated to the Firemen who went up the twin towers when everyone else was coming down. That's what I call hero's.

Hope you had a great time theres nothing like coming home.
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

Aidan

« Reply #656 on: August 26, 2010, 05:46:25 PM »
Rep1, can you send me your e mail address?  Frank M, I would love to see that Pic, Sherrif St has many a great memory and I  dreamed of owning a Fiat as a teenager.

Aidan

« Reply #657 on: August 26, 2010, 05:47:36 PM »
PS  I still cant spel LOL

road hog

« Reply #658 on: August 26, 2010, 06:26:14 PM »
Rep1, can you send me your e mail address?  Frank M, I would love to see that Pic, Sherrif St has many a great memory and I  dreamed of owning a Fiat as a teenager.
Aidan, when REP1 was buying it I told him not to, it was a Fiat worse than death
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

REP1

« Reply #659 on: August 26, 2010, 07:44:07 PM »

Road hog the Volvo in the picture is mine as well
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity