Author Topic: Short Strand. East Belfast  (Read 234511 times)

REP1

Re: Short Strand. East Belfast
« Reply #705 on: December 01, 2010, 11:02:24 PM »
I left Ballymacarrett in 1961 lived on bridge end at bottom of Short Strand.went to St.Matts.Area was wiped out for flyover at bottom of By pass.most families went to Turf Lodge
That was before my time but I remember being brought to Foundry st as kid to visit people my mother knew.
Indifference is the essence of inhumanity

Wendl

« Reply #706 on: December 01, 2010, 11:07:56 PM »
Anyone know if the new Calendar is out????
When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compete or compare.....everyone will respect you!
Lao-Tzu

Paige

« Reply #707 on: December 02, 2010, 04:43:59 AM »
Anyone got any memories of Anderson Street dance hall

REP1

« Reply #708 on: December 02, 2010, 07:51:37 AM »
Anyone got any memories of Anderson Street dance hall

Well before my time but my family lived in Anderson st, until the bomb destroyed the street in 1972. The dance hall was nick named the Hut, and was demolished about 1950 it was a waste ground where we played as kids until it was was fenced in, and used for a tyre store by Jimmy George. around the mid sixties.
from what I was told it was a very popular dance hall during the war years. As far as I know my uncle J B worked and danced in the hut.
In the photo below, the hut was on the left where the fence is.

road hog

« Reply #709 on: December 02, 2010, 08:38:05 AM »
Anyone Remember  The Sally Army Citadel on the Mountpottinger Road.Their Silver Band used to march from it around the area.Before the troubles of course
yes bridge ender I do
ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST

road hog

« Reply #710 on: December 02, 2010, 09:35:56 AM »
REP 1 played the triangle with the sally ann, thats he got into music.lol. hes still learning it :D

doare.

« Reply #711 on: December 02, 2010, 09:53:06 AM »
rep1 i was at georges daughters wedding, when she married a friend of mine from the divis area, they went to canada after that.i used to deliver lemonade around there, and booze, in the sixties.
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

road hog

« Reply #712 on: December 02, 2010, 11:51:17 AM »
REP 1, the hut you are taking about, I think, was also the first place where St Matthews had a boxing club, and I think your uncle, J B, was the trainer

REP1

« Reply #713 on: December 02, 2010, 04:00:48 PM »
REP 1, the hut you are taking about, I think, was also the first place where St Matthews had a boxing club, and I think your uncle, J B, was the trainer
You might be right about the boxing club there is something in the back of my mind tells me you are right. JB (Jimmy Brady) was a pro fighter.
There is more to the triangle than you think you have to know your ding from your dong. get it wrong and your are in the [censored]*.

REP1

« Reply #714 on: December 02, 2010, 04:08:43 PM »
rep1 i was at georges daughters wedding, when she married a friend of mine from the divis area, they went to Canada after that.i used to deliver lemonade around there, and booze, in the sixties.
Doare most of George family moved to Killough. They have a famous film maker director in the family. (Terry George) also wrote the film. (IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER)

road hog

« Reply #715 on: December 02, 2010, 07:36:53 PM »
where does Terry live REP

REP1

« Reply #716 on: December 02, 2010, 08:01:05 PM »
where does Terry live REP
California

road hog

« Reply #717 on: December 04, 2010, 07:15:47 AM »
If you were standing in Seaforde St looking up Sherriff St towards the mountpottinger Rd, on the right side of Sherriff St, about half way up, there was a large gap between the houses, as if a building had once been there, can any one elaborate ?

REP1

« Reply #718 on: December 04, 2010, 12:44:05 PM »
If you were standing in Seaforde St looking up Sherriff St towards the mountpottinger Rd, on the right side of Sherriff St, about half way up, there was a large gap between the houses, as if a building had once been there, can any one elaborate ?
About 1971 there was a bobby trap (IED in today's language) bomb, set to go off in an empty house when the military raided one of the houses. Residents and army were both injured, lucky there was no one killed. The house and one on either side had to be demolished. leaving that gap in the street.

road hog

« Reply #719 on: December 04, 2010, 02:58:05 PM »
Thanks REP 1