Author Topic: Pubs, Christmas Day  (Read 12510 times)

jocarts

Pubs, Christmas Day
« on: November 29, 2007, 03:32:48 PM »
Hi,

Does anyone know of any pubs open in city on Christmas day?  We are just looking for somewhere to go for a drink or 3 for a couple of hrs, no family here so have to amuse ourselves somehow!

Cheers :)

Mrs Timberlake

Re: Pubs, Christmas Day
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 08:19:00 AM »
Hi Jocarts

I don't think the pubs open until later on in the afternoon, but they'll all be open at some stage. 

A lot of the hotels do a Christmas Lunch, so would you not consider this? It means you'll have plenty of company, some nice grub and a few drinks.  I don't know off-hand but here's a link for hotels in Belfast that you could try.  Good luck, and Happy Christmas!  O0

www.booking.com/Belfast-Hotels
Does my face look bothered?

EllCee

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 05:25:34 PM »
Hi Jocarts

I don't think the pubs open until later on in the afternoon, but they'll all be open at some stage. 

A lot of the hotels do a Christmas Lunch, so would you not consider this? It means you'll have plenty of company, some nice grub and a few drinks.  I don't know off-hand but here's a link for hotels in Belfast that you could try.  Good luck, and Happy Christmas!  O0

www.booking.com/Belfast-Hotels

I don't think any pubs in NI are open on Christmas Day.  It's difficult to even get a shop open if you run out of teabags or sugar, let alone go anywhere for a pint.

I hope I'm wrong!  ;) ;)

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

Mrs Timberlake

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 07:58:03 PM »

I don't think any pubs in NI are open on Christmas Day.  It's difficult to even get a shop open if you run out of teabags or sugar, let alone go anywhere for a pint.

I hope I'm wrong!  ;) ;)

You must live in the sticks, Les.  The pubs round by us all open and there's a large petrol station beside us that is open 24 hours, even on Christmas day which is like a mini supermarket.  The off licences even open later on for the oul carry outs  O0

EllCee

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 08:21:43 PM »
You must live in the sticks, Les.  The pubs round by us all open and there's a large petrol station beside us that is open 24 hours, even on Christmas day which is like a mini supermarket.  The off licences even open later on for the oul carry outs  O0

I've lived in Newtownbreda for 31 years.  It's hardly "the sticks".  Brackenvale F.S., and associated shop, near the Ivanhoe pub is open on Xmas Day, as probably are other filling stations with shops. But the Rosetta Inn, Four Winds Inn, Beechill Inn, the pubs in Dundonald and Donaghadee, the Bushmills Inn, Park Avenue Hotel and some others I looked at in the internet are all closed, SFAIK.  And I cannot recall ever seeing an off licence open on Xmas Day.

Mind you, bearing in mind that in the past I've never found pubs, shops and offies to be open on Christmas Day, I will not be relying on them being open this year either!  I'll get all essentials in before hand.

"I may not agree with you, but I respect your opinion"   "You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it"

twocoats

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 08:30:15 PM »
Pubs, Off Licences, Gas Stations stores etc should all be closed on the day that Celebrates Christmas. If one doesn't celebrate the birth of Jesus then celebrate the Person, Place or thing that you worship with your loved ones.

One day without a Pub is not too much to ask especially since someone has to serve in the Pub.

It is bad enough that Emergency Services people have to be away from home on Christmas day.

Think ahead, fill yer car, get yer booze in, if you need it, and take a day off. Coats
Homophobia, racism, sexism, bigotry and sectarianism is still alive..

Mrs Timberlake

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 08:49:38 PM »
Pubs, Off Licences, Gas Stations stores etc should all be closed on the day that Celebrates Christmas. If one doesn't celebrate the birth of Jesus then celebrate the Person, Place or thing that you worship with your loved ones.

One day without a Pub is not too much to ask especially since someone has to serve in the Pub.

It is bad enough that Emergency Services people have to be away from home on Christmas day.

Think ahead, fill yer car, get yer booze in, if you need it, and take a day off. Coats

Al used to be a hospital porter years ago and every year he had to work Christmas Day because he worked in the children's section and his team had to be on duty 24 hours.  They managed to work a wee system out in that they only worked 4 hours each, but it was still [email protected] especially when he was on the early shift as all our family go to mass together and with him working, I used to be sitting on my todd like a saddo  :(

BigAgiesMan

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 08:56:26 PM »
Only place open on christmas day around here is my place. BBQ lit and chestnuts on the go. Cocktail of the day will be hot buttered rum O0 :P

EllCee

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 09:05:58 PM »
Al used to be a hospital porter years ago and every year he had to work Christmas Day because he worked in the children's section and his team had to be on duty 24 hours.  They managed to work a wee system out in that they only worked 4 hours each, but it was still [email protected] especially when he was on the early shift as all our family go to mass together and with him working, I used to be sitting on my todd like a saddo  :(

I worked shifts in the oil refinery, at Richardson's Fertilisers and elsewhere.  The last Xmas I worked at Richardson's it was 3 - 11 shift on Xmas Eve, Xmas Day and Boxing Day, then night shift (11 - 7) on New Year's Eve.  There isn't a worse combination of lousy shifts.   :( >:( >:( :(

Mrs Timberlake

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 09:07:29 PM »
Poor Jocarts and his mates will be all alone on Christmas day BAM - invite them round to yours for the festivities  O0 :-*

Les that's terrible.  Absolutely awful  :(

BigAgiesMan

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 09:14:44 PM »
Who is Jocarts when he's not working? ::)

giannineo

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 09:37:02 PM »
Jocarts BAM???????Santa Clause you big whiskered balloon :D

BigAgiesMan

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 09:45:59 PM »
I must be a sad case indeed :-[. Since when/how is jocarts Sanity Claws  :-\

giannineo

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 10:00:47 PM »
bammers, think laddie ,think. .Santa lives in Lapland ....he has a day off on Christmas Day as do turkey farmers...he is stuck in Belfast  while his mates are in Lapland...so what the frick does he do on Crimbo day ???????   goes looking for a drink....Go figure  eejit ;D

BigAgiesMan

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 10:13:17 PM »
I am an ejjit, I admit it. One would have to be to try and engage in dialogue with you.

I have lived/survived/endured living on this earth for 6 decades and have never heard of the name JOCARTS :-[. And having now engaged in meaningful dialogue with you, and read your explanation, I am still no wiser :-\. Why does that not surprise me  ;D ;D. Perhaps some more erudite person will enlighten me O0