Author Topic: Thames Street 1952 / 1968  (Read 6514 times)

celtdunm

Re: Thames Street 1952 / 1968
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2016, 05:50:45 PM »
Hello Morton,
I'm afraid I only vaguely remember a Henry family in St James's Gardens no 27 (my Aunt lived in no 21) and I really don't know any info on any of the individuals. Sorry I can't help you out.

Morton McDonald

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2016, 01:02:55 AM »
Celtdunm  Walter Henry and i have been friends for over seventy years,in years gone by Walter has boxed in 3 olympics for Canada winning a bronze and silver for Canada,the year he won the silver he was not allowed to fight for the gold as he had an absessed tooth so was awarded the silver 5 weeks later he met the winner of the gold and dispatched him in under two minutes of the first round it was the one and only time i ever witnessed Walter with a hatred for anyone and really made him suffer before knocking him clear out of the ring,Walter was inducted into the Canadian sports hall of fame along with fellow boxer George Chunalo who fought some of the best in the business,Casius Clay twice the second time as Muhammed Ali,George Foreman,Ken Norton, and Sonny Liston to name a few.

celtdunm

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2016, 07:52:07 PM »
Nice to read that news of an ex Belfastman.

peter garland

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2016, 07:30:11 PM »
I was a paper boy for fagans my run was iveagh and took in Irwell ,breamer and thames st,i remember billy darragh the halls Jackie and Wesley the mallons two sets of baxters Sammy and jim the oneills the laverys the allisons the dalys and lamonts and Alfie lieghios ice cream shop and a guy called hairy dan for some reason,jublarr oneill joss cusick and dan shields and anold guy called furphy so many I cant recall

LONE RANGER

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2016, 12:04:04 PM »
Peter Garland hello and welcome I came from Thames Street knew big Billy ( Billzer Darragh ) and Noel and Gervin and Eileen they went Australia when you could go for ten quid but they came home again , Jackie and Wesley Hall were from Irwell Street as you know , the Mallons lived facing us there was Charlie , Brendan , Bernadette , Mary , and Monica a living film star with her good looks what a doll , the Baxters were Tom , Jim , Hazel , and the father Sammy , the O`neills there was Francis , Geraldene , Rita , and a big brother whom I can`t remember , the Lavery`s there was Eileen, Jackie , Tommy , Richard , and Marie , the Ellisons there was Pat , John , Moria , and a big brother who I think was Tommy , the rest you have mentioned I don`t know .   

LONE RANGER

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2016, 05:33:44 PM »
Could the lady that asked me a while back if I knew the Currys from Upper Broadway because she married a Curry with a big red head of hair but now he is just a snowy head of hair now .

peter garland

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2016, 06:31:37 PM »
hi lone ranger sadly most of the mallons have passed on monica died last year,there was a girl we all fancied cant remember her first name but she was called hunter lived below the miskimmons you would remember louie davies and her daughter and the watsons who lived top of broadway just below the electric shop had great times around there

Morton McDonald

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2016, 03:33:43 AM »
Another family who lived around the St. James area was the Reannie just remember two of the girls names Noreen and Patsie

LONE RANGER

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2016, 10:12:32 AM »
Peter the names you mentioned must have been just before my time I have not heard of any of these people , I was sure most of the Mallon`s would be gone but Monica being the youngest surprised me I loved her to bits she was gorgeous a real Liz Taylor look a like but to old for me , I remember she started to go with a guy who owned a motor bike a real flash job in those days she all ways set side saddle oh boy did I envy him I don`t know where her eyes were when she started to go with him but then suddenly he died don`t know the cause , did she ever marry and have a family where did she eventually live what did she work at her father was a musican her sister Bernadette was a nun but left the order very soon after she joined her brother Brendan was a fireman , you tend to think people look the same after you moved on and the next you know 50 odd years have passed bless them all they were great neighbours , Thank you Peter for your reply most kind take care .[size=78%]   [/size]

LONE RANGER

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2016, 12:38:16 PM »
Peter do you remember the two guys that came in and out of Fagan`s shop called Joe and Eddie If I can remember right they were brother`s and both of them were mentally disturbed but they were harmless , one day I went round the corner to Shiels Street and all ways wondered what happened in side the bookies there facing a barbours shop a guy was going in I asked him to put a bet on for me I gave him sixpence , in those days sixpence was acceptable don`t remember how I picked the horse after the race was over the guy came out he said you were beat son that`s a lesson to you son the bookie never looses , I was gutted I knew my mum needed the money badly when I was walking away head hung low good job it was because there was a ten bob note laying on the ground nobody in sight well I had to have it stuck my foot over it and when all was clear I got it took it home to my mum she was one very happy lady never gambled again and to this day still have never gambled . 

peter garland

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2016, 07:56:12 PM »
the guys you are asking about lone ranger was joe and eddie ohagan they lived in iveagh crescent sadly they have passed over,i lived next door to the bookies in dairy street

LONE RANGER

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2018, 11:42:37 AM »
Just thought I would drop in just to see if there was anyone new to the site who might want to converse about the old Thames Street days on the Falls Road & close to Broadway .

tinky

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2018, 03:36:51 PM »
Hi

Raymond Arthurs now living in Dublin his sister Anne still on Broadway living not sure about the other brother and his other sister died a while ago, I will get you the phone number for Raymond if you like?

LONE RANGER

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2019, 11:07:26 AM »
Hi

Raymond Arthurs now living in Dublin his sister Anne still on Broadway living not sure about the other brother and his other sister died a while ago, I will get you the phone number for Raymond if you like?
  HI Tinky Can you get me Raymonds phone number please .

No 10

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2019, 01:28:00 PM »
I would like to link up with ex residents of Thames Street / Braemar Street / Irwell Street / and Broadway from 1952 / 1968 , I lived in Thames Street during this time I am on a down hill spiral to the grand old age of seventy I had a great many friends there , I played hand ball at Dr Lamb`s gable wall and roller skated down the Thames Street hill turning into Irwell Street a great thrill , we had push bikes that made a noise like a motor bike with lolly pop sticks and clothes peg`s holding this great invention together , and then guiders with two wheels at the front and one or two ball bearing wheels at the rear we made our own fun , the girls played wee shops at the door breaking up old china and such exchanging it for what ever skipping and hop scotch , the ground at the front door of the house was washed that much that a half moon was allways there anyhow it was a great time to be young .