Author Topic: ulsterville harriers  (Read 2445 times)

gtwilson

ulsterville harriers
« on: October 02, 2015, 05:26:43 PM »
 Saw some references to Ulsterville Harriers on the forum but cannot find them again.
They. mentioned Harry Diamond and Eddie Witherspoon were members and I remember them very well
My father George Wilson was secretary of the club for many years. Other members I can remember were Geordie Bee, Billy Dineen and Bobby Baxter form Sandy Row. Effie Lennon, Freddie Seeds and Jimmy Morrow And Raymond Kirkland were all people I can remember. I would be good to hear anything of them. Does the club still exist?
George Wilson.

jean79

Re: ulsterville harriers
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 10:13:59 AM »
Harry Diamond and Eddie Witherspoon were friends of mine Harry Married Jean Black who was my girlfriend and I have been home to Ireland and stayed with them Eddie was also a friend and he passed away a few years ago Jean and I were with the Willowfield Harriers in Hyndford St  I am still in touch with Jean and Harry

gtwilson

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 04:54:56 PM »
I remember many willowfield harriers from those days.lf you were good l am sure l will know your name. Where are you located now?
George Wilson.

jean79

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 12:40:43 AM »
Hi George   My time at Willowfield was in the early 50's when they first started the ladies and Eddie Wilson was our trainer I came to Australia in 1952 so it was a long time ago Harry and Eddie were in the 10th scouts for many years and they had a great friendship which lasted for many years my maiden name was Carlisle good to hear from you regards Jean

Moorfield Street

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 04:48:09 AM »
George.     Type in "Ulsterville Harriers" in the Search Box, top right hand corner of the Forum Home Page and you will find previous Posts.    I joined Ulsterville in 1946 following my father, Norman Campbell and his friend Frank McConnell.   David.

gtwilson

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 04:37:30 PM »
I remember Eddie Wilson at Willowfield Harriers  Edmund Henry Wilson to give him his full name.He received OBE from the Queen for his services to athletics. MY father organised the Derry to Belfast relay race in 1951 as part of the Festival of Britain celebrations. The teams were Belfast versus the Country. Eddie was captain of the Belfast team and the great Charlie Owens of East Antrim harriers was captain of the Country team.
Many fine runners turned out that day.
George Wilson.

liz mccabrey

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 11:26:11 PM »

I remember your dad George wilson well I trained with ulsterville harriers at the rugby ground early 70 s he was very dedicated .

Liz

quote author=gtwilson link=topic=63847.msg1822977#msg1822977 date=1443803203]
 Saw some references to Ulsterville Harriers on the forum but cannot find them again.
They. mentioned Harry Diamond and Eddie Witherspoon were members and I remember them very well
My father George Wilson was secretary of the club for many years. Other members I can remember were Geordie Bee, Billy Dineen and Bobby Baxter form Sandy Row. Effie Lennon, Freddie Seeds and Jimmy Morrow And Raymond Kirkland were all people I can remember. I would be good to hear anything of them. Does the club still exist?
George Wilson.
[/quote]

gtwilson

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 08:04:15 PM »
 :)Hello Liz, good to hear from you and that you remembered my father George Wilson-- he certainly was enthusiastic about athletics. Perhaps you remember my brother Stuart who was Northern Ireland quarter and half mile champion in the 60s and 70s.
George Wilson.