Author Topic: BALLROOMS and DANCES of Belfast  (Read 10950 times)

rigbarque

Re: BALLROOMS and DANCES of Belfast
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2015, 01:26:07 PM »
I used to go to the Plaza on Tuesday nights from about 1957 until I left Belfast in 1960. Tuesday nights was Rock 'n Roll nights, I started going when I was 16, and for me it was like entering a magical world. There were fantastic dancers, "jivers" we called them. How did they ever learn to dancer like that? The best of them, by far, was Miser O'Hare. But it was the music that I came for - Elvis, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino, Ray Charles, Johnny Cash, Lloyd Price etc. And the girls were pretty, my the girls were pretty.

boxer1949

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2015, 01:28:04 PM »
John Dossor's in Royal Avenue was a ballroom in the 1950s. It was above a shop. I think John Dossor, later owned the Fiesta.
It was in High St the building still there facing the post office

rigbarque

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2015, 01:49:24 PM »
John Dossor's was in the High Street, but it was taken over by Sammy Houston and Peggy Dullaghan, and Dossor's relocated to Royal Avenue. He later owned the Fiesta. This was around 1957/8.

Cargo

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2016, 11:42:00 AM »
My dad worked in the Gala and Feista
The Gala was the corner beside the Albert clock

leoniekt61

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 02:06:48 AM »
My Mum And dad first met at a dance at John Dossors in 1948, when my dad got out of the RAF, and were married for 63 yrs! They also used to go to a lot of dances at the Belfast Castle, and the Floral Hall (where the Antrim Zoo is) which still stands, although in a state of disrepair.

James Henry

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2017, 11:35:52 AM »
Bronagh
Please email me .I can tell you a few stories about dances and  ballrooms
James Henry

Moorfield Street

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2017, 11:20:59 PM »
My Mum And dad first met at a dance at John Dossors in 1948, when my dad got out of the RAF, and were married for 63 yrs! They also used to go to a lot of dances at the Belfast Castle, and the Floral Hall (where the Antrim Zoo is) which still stands, although in a state of disrepair.
My wife and I met at John Dossors, Hallowe'en 1951, it was then in Victoria Street, adjacent to The Clock.     We will be 65 years married on the 30th. June/      We too would go to The Floral Hall, Orpheus, Plaza, Capronis in Bangor.       All by Bus.     Welcome to BF.  David.

MaggieP

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2017, 09:38:13 AM »
My Mum taught ballroom dancing in the 40s but I don't know where, I remember her saying she taught a notable politician who I think may have been Brian Faulkner.  I wonder if anyone's parents are still alive who might remember Elizabeth (Lily) Jackson?

arkie

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2017, 03:15:23 PM »
My wife and I met at John Dossors, Hallowe'en 1951, it was then in Victoria Street, adjacent to The Clock.     We will be 65 years married on the 30th. June/      We too would go to The Floral Hall, Orpheus, Plaza, Capronis in Bangor.       All by Bus.     Welcome to BF.  David.
    THAT WAS WHITES BALLROOM. YES RAN BY JOHN DOSSOR  67 HIGH ST. WAS WHERE DOSSORS ONCE STOOD THERE WAS TWO STUDIOS THE GOLDEN ROOM  AND THE MAIN STUDIO  THE SIGNING OFF TUNES WERE   I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS. AND GOOD NIGHT SWEETHEART. AHH. THEY WERE THE DAYS.

Moorfield Street

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2017, 12:17:26 AM »
    THAT WAS WHITES BALLROOM. YES RAN BY JOHN DOSSOR  67 HIGH ST. WAS WHERE DOSSORS ONCE STOOD THERE WAS TWO STUDIOS THE GOLDEN ROOM  AND THE MAIN STUDIO  THE SIGNING OFF TUNES WERE   I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS. AND GOOD NIGHT SWEETHEART. AHH. THEY WERE THE DAYS.
\
arkie.   Thanks for that.     I was told that John Dossor and Betty Staff taught Ballroom Dancing for Albert White late 1940;s

MonacoDanny

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 03:30:32 PM »
My uncle, Walter Davidson who ran the Melotones and had been Clodagh Rogers' musical director ran Romano's, Milano's and Caproni's all at the same time and I remember him taking me to Romano's one day to see/hear the Barron Knights rehearse.

teragram

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 11:37:49 PM »
Was the 69 club in 69 Ann street or was there another reason for the name ::)
If you don't do it you won't get caught.

jjmack

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2017, 06:03:33 AM »
69 High Street Belfast, Sammy Osborne's school of ballroom dancing.  :)
Wear your RED POPPY with PRIDE.  Lest we forget. BUY BRITISH.  Support the forces of LAW and ORDER, PAST and PRESENT. Justice for the BRITISH ARMY.

McNamee

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2017, 09:29:50 AM »
Was the 69 club in 69 Ann street or was there another reason for the name ::)

Whatever could you mean Tera.  ???

MargaretS

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2017, 09:35:23 AM »
69 High Street Belfast, Sammy Osborne's school of ballroom dancing.  :)

It was packed every weekend
The crimes of the B specials the R U C the U D R and the British ARMY should never be forgotten   justice for all
no matter how long it takes