Author Topic: big night for OWC on Thursday Night  (Read 10846 times)

JackM

Re: big night for OWC on Thursday Night
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2015, 12:46:02 PM »
Republic of Ireland chinned . I'm truly gutted.  :D
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

GandT

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2015, 09:43:20 PM »

I was about to make a negative comment on the wonderfully subtle irony of the above when I realised that I would have been a hypocrite to do so, At times in the past I would have felt the same and echoed the same sentiments about the NI team. As O3W points out, for me to try to be positive and to try to look at some things differently about sport costs me nothing, does not detract from my political views, does not align me with the undoubted bigotry of some NI fans [wherever they express it] but does allow me to have witnessed a very large number of people enjoy a match and a team's success. I don't know if some of the fans ended up in this bar or that bar and then engaged in sectarian songs - no doubt some did. However, in the belief that contempt prior to investigation keeps a person in perpetual ignorance, I went to Windsor Park where I was assured that the atmosphere WITHIN the stadium was good. It was - both inside and immediately outside I saw or heard nothing insulting to anyone - unless one looked for insult. That's it - that's what I experienced.

I have been to some matches in other places and have been delighted and proud of the atmosphere. I have been with true football fans and complete fanatics for Celtic and ROI. Have I heard SOME sectarian songs from SOME people at these or in bars or on public / private-hire transport or on the streets near stadia - you bet your life I have. Let's not be stupid - this is not confined to one side or the other and we can debate the extent all day and night. Fact - there is sectarianism. Fact - the IFA have tried to eradicate it inside the stadium - they seem to have done so. Fact - there were bigots at the ground and in the bars. However, there were a hell of a number of people who were not bigots, people who observed the IFA recommendations within the ground, people who had young children there, people who enjoyed the night. For once in my life I am glad to say I did too. I have been long enough about to remember feeling excluded, feeling insulted and subjected to scarcely disguised hatred. I know a good deal about the history of the unsavoury side of NI football. If the object of history is to learn from its mistakes the IFA have [at this stage] attempted to do so. They are not capable of converting every NI fan into a model of ecumenical nicety -so what!

I went with my son-in-law who happens to be a Protestant and, since childhood, a NI supporter. I cannot think of a better, less bigoted, more caring and decent person. Is it seriously suggested that there were not a considerable number of similar-minded and mannered Protestant people at Windsor Park? Of course there were. Maybe they are those who are winning for once - the bigots may still be there but they are significantly muted.

I would dearly, dearly love ROI to qualify; I would like both to do well in France and I would like to see the green jerseys do very well in the rugby. My nationalist / republican politics, my cultural interests, my love of hurling and football and so on are not one bit diminished by acknowledging and enjoying the achievements of the NI soccer team and the celebration by their decent supporters. Alas, like the poor, the bigots are always with us. I do not advance my cause or philosophy one bit by harping on about them to the exclusion of other people. I certainly do not advance anything by copying or seeking to outdo their narrow thinking!

The thread simply said 'Big Night for OWC' - it was and deservedly so. I might have some diffs with 'OWC' but to hell with that - look at what was done in strict sporting terms and it was no mean achievement!

Bigali

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2015, 09:48:08 PM »
Great post GandT , couldn't agree more  :)
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

old3wheeler

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2015, 09:36:53 AM »
Got to agree with Bigali great post GandT , Regards Ken
" outside of a dog " a book is mans best friend,
inside of a dog is far to dark to read."

JackM

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2015, 12:39:07 PM »
I was about to make a negative comment on the wonderfully subtle irony of the above when I realised that I would have been a hypocrite to do so, At times in the past I would have felt the same and echoed the same sentiments about the NI team. As O3W points out, for me to try to be positive and to try to look at some things differently about sport costs me nothing, does not detract from my political views, does not align me with the undoubted bigotry of some NI fans [wherever they express it] but does allow me to have witnessed a very large number of people enjoy a match and a team's success. I don't know if some of the fans ended up in this bar or that bar and then engaged in sectarian songs - no doubt some did. However, in the belief that contempt prior to investigation keeps a person in perpetual ignorance, I went to Windsor Park where I was assured that the atmosphere WITHIN the stadium was good. It was - both inside and immediately outside I saw or heard nothing insulting to anyone - unless one looked for insult. That's it - that's what I experienced.

I have been to some matches in other places and have been delighted and proud of the atmosphere. I have been with true football fans and complete fanatics for Celtic and ROI. Have I heard SOME sectarian songs from SOME people at these or in bars or on public / private-hire transport or on the streets near stadia - you bet your life I have. Let's not be stupid - this is not confined to one side or the other and we can debate the extent all day and night. Fact - there is sectarianism. Fact - the IFA have tried to eradicate it inside the stadium - they seem to have done so. Fact - there were bigots at the ground and in the bars. However, there were a hell of a number of people who were not bigots, people who observed the IFA recommendations within the ground, people who had young children there, people who enjoyed the night. For once in my life I am glad to say I did too. I have been long enough about to remember feeling excluded, feeling insulted and subjected to scarcely disguised hatred. I know a good deal about the history of the unsavoury side of NI football. If the object of history is to learn from its mistakes the IFA have [at this stage] attempted to do so. They are not capable of converting every NI fan into a model of ecumenical nicety -so what!

I went with my son-in-law who happens to be a Protestant and, since childhood, a NI supporter. I cannot think of a better, less bigoted, more caring and decent person. Is it seriously suggested that there were not a considerable number of similar-minded and mannered Protestant people at Windsor Park? Of course there were. Maybe they are those who are winning for once - the bigots may still be there but they are significantly muted.

I would dearly, dearly love ROI to qualify; I would like both to do well in France and I would like to see the green jerseys do very well in the rugby. My nationalist / republican politics, my cultural interests, my love of hurling and football and so on are not one bit diminished by acknowledging and enjoying the achievements of the NI soccer team and the celebration by their decent supporters. Alas, like the poor, the bigots are always with us. I do not advance my cause or philosophy one bit by harping on about them to the exclusion of other people. I certainly do not advance anything by copying or seeking to outdo their narrow thinking!

The thread simply said 'Big Night for OWC' - it was and deservedly so. I might have some diffs with 'OWC' but to hell with that - look at what was done in strict sporting terms and it was no mean achievement!

It appears that my sense of humour on the old forum, does not meet with everyones approval.    :o
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

GandT

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2015, 05:26:28 PM »
It appears that my sense of humour on the old forum, does not meet with everyones approval.    :o

I wouldn't say that JackM. After all I did learn from your subtle irony sufficiently well to have indulged in a little of it myself as rejoinder.  :) :) The remainder of what was said had nothing to do with anyone's sense of humour or lack of it - it was merely an attempt to let sport for once transcend old or current prejudices. Like music, art, literature, drama, engineering and a host of other things we can let sport erase old differences or exacerbate them. As to humour - you should have heard some of the bantering from friends and family about my being at the match - thick skin required. Gave them a chorus or two of 'We're the Ulster boys making all the noise' - that shut them up!!! :)

AL CAPONE

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2015, 10:54:16 PM »

:P  :D

stewie

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2015, 11:00:49 PM »

Bigali

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2015, 11:01:12 PM »
:P :D

Jaysus this was all a month ago, keep up ! ::)

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

Bigali

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2015, 11:03:48 PM »
:) well done the lads well impressed :clapping: :clapping:

Yip , well done  :)

stewie

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2015, 11:13:26 PM »

Yip , well done    class mate bet the both teams will be the best supporters there :clapping:

Bigali

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2015, 11:18:01 PM »
:) class mate bet the both teams will be the best supporters there :clapping:

No doubt will almost be as good as the rugby supporters  :)

stewie

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2015, 11:40:41 PM »

No doubt will almost be as good as the rugby supporters  :)
saunter ::) this is a Man Thread ;)

Bigali

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2015, 11:44:21 PM »
saunter ::) this is a Man Thread ;)

Why are you on it then ?  ???

stewie

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2015, 12:05:01 AM »

Why are you on it then ?  ???
??? the Ball is Round ::)