Author Topic: McTier Street  (Read 1296 times)

speedwobble

McTier Street
« on: October 08, 2015, 12:50:11 PM »
Can anyone tell me where McTier Street was?  I know it was in the Shankill area but not exactly where.  I helping a friend with her family history and she was related to the McCormicks who lived in the street.  The moved from there to Mayo Street and then into Caledon Street.

CMcG

Re: McTier Street
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 02:14:07 PM »
As you know, totally re-developed.  On a modern map (eg. google maps), find Shankill Parade at its junction with Shankill Road.  The bit of Shankill Parade heading north is in a similar position and alignment to where McTier Street was (give or take some yards).  It was parallel to Malvern Street to the west and North Boundary Street to the east (but closer to Malvern Street). While you're looking at the modern map, just note the position of Percy Street and Dover Street just south of the Shankill Road.

Turning to this 1960 map (link below), courtesy of the Lennon Wylie website, take yourself over to the left of the map, you will see McTier Street rising north from the Shankill Road, pretty well mid-way between where Percy Street and Dover Street met the Shankill Road from the south:

http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/images/maps/MapBelfast1960a2.JPG

SamG

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 11:38:59 PM »
Excellent CMcG.  Perfect description and splendid map showing Foreman Street where my grandparents lived.  I remember a stable next door to number 33 holding horses which pulled a coal cart.  Fascinating to see horses so close when I was 6 years old.
Thanks for posting that.
Stop the ride, I want to get off and go back.

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 06:30:43 AM »
You can also see it to the left of the map at reply #1 on this thread:

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,63063.msg1803509.html#msg1803509

jimmy hill

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 08:12:40 PM »
Can anyone tell me where McTier Street was?  I know it was in the Shankill area but not exactly where.  I helping a friend with her family history and she was related to the McCormicks who lived in the street.  The moved from there to Mayo Street and then into Caledon Street.
You can also see it to the left of the map at reply #1 on this thread:

http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,63063.msg1803509.html#msg1803509

jimmy hill

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 08:41:46 PM »
I lived in Mctier Street half way up it Mctier St would have been facing Diamond St just facing Kelly car show rooms on the other side of the Shankill Road Mctier St was down below Hopton St down beside the Crown Snooker Hall :-\

Billy Fish

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 07:12:08 PM »
I lived in Mctier Street half way up it Mctier St would have been facing Diamond St just facing Kelly car show rooms on the other side of the Shankill Road Mctier St was down below Hopton St down beside the Crown Snooker Hall :-\

Played snooker in the Crown many a time. Some tough cookies in there.  :)
Support Soldier F
Remember the bravery and deeds of the Men & Women of the USC, RUC, RUC Reserve, the UDR, PSNI, but most of all the British Army.