Author Topic: Hunter family history, Ballynahinch,Cahard, Belfast & Leggygowan  (Read 5035 times)

Vonny

Hunter family history, Ballynahinch,Cahard, Belfast & Leggygowan
« on: November 11, 2015, 05:45:46 AM »
I am searching for any information on the family of the late Albert Hunter , his mother is listed on his death certificate as Martha & father William.
Albert was the youngest of 12/13 children and emigrated to Australia in 1950 on the "Empire Brent".
We believe he was born at Leggygowan (death cert) on November 16 1928.
He worked as a motor mechanic in Belfast until emigrating, and listed his home as Cahard at this time also.
If anyone could possible help with any family history or photographs , I would be only to happy to pay for their service.

Thanks any or all who are able to help :)

CMcG

Re: Hunter family history, Ballynahinch,Cahard, Belfast & Leggygowan
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 06:17:38 AM »

The problem here is that it's too modern and online record sources like GRONI don't cover births that recent. If you have a reasonable confidence in the birth date cited on the death certificate (not unusual for the informant to get this wrong), then it might be worth applying to GRONI for the birth record.

Here's a bit of wild speculation.  There was a William James Hunter who married a Martha McDonald on 28 March 1915.  It all was around Dromore, the marriage took place in Dromore Church of Ireland, William James was recorded as a 23 year old bachelor farmer from Ballyvicknacally, the son of farmer Robert Hunter, Martha was recorded as a 19 year old spinster hemstitcher from Balleny, the daughter of weaver William McDonald.  This couple has an early baby on 30 April 1915 in Balleny, they called him Robert.

If Albert was born 1928 and the last of around a dozen, I suppose this couple is a possibility, if remote (it would entail a child a year virtually every year).  So just worth noting.
If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Vonny

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 06:26:42 AM »
Thank you heaps for your reply ! Its much appreciated. You are right of course about the timing of the children , although not unheard of .
The informant on the death certificate was the eldest brother of my partner , so we are assuming its fairly correct.I will definitely look into the marriage though & see if I gleen any further information.
Thanks again for your help :)

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 06:32:11 AM »
PRONI has the following Will Calendars index entry which might be a possibility:

Hunter William of Leggygowan county Down railway worker died 7 April 1942 at The Royal Victoria Hospital Belfast Administration Belfast 13 May to Martha Hunter the widow. Effects 374 6s. 6d.

GRONI online has the death record (registered Belfast), the reported age was 51, the "Full" viewing option costs 5 credits (2):

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Vonny

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 06:52:52 AM »
Thank you ! There was mention of him working on the railways ..but we werent positive if this was correct .

CMcG

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 08:31:25 AM »
Here is the William James Hunter I previously mentioned in 1911 with parents / siblings, from what you know of the 12/13 children that the parents of Albert had, do you see any naming patterns / similarities?

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Dromore_Rural/Ballyvicknacally/207567/

BTW, the full name of the man who died in 1942 was William James Hunter, he was a signalman and his son John Hunter of 54 Nevis Avenue was the informant, the 1943 Belfast street directory, courtesy of the Lennon Wylie website, shows the following entry for Nevis Avenue:

54. Hunter, J., fitter

If confidence in Albert's DOB is high, getting his birth record from GRONI is by far the best bet, it will confirm mother's maiden name and father's occupation.

CMcG

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 08:50:16 AM »
John Hunter, the informant of his father's death in 1942, himself died on 30 September 2000 with a reported age of 81 (b.1919), last residence was 54 Nevis Avenue, he was buried in grave B5 581 in Dundonald Cemetery with several other grave occupants who may offer up other clues, if indeed this is connected at all:

https://ssl.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/burialSearch.aspx

(Search for him at the link above, click on the grave to see all occupants, click "View details" to see more about the individual grave occupants.)

Vonny

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 09:02:27 AM »
Hello again..
Yes I'm getting quite confident we have the right William & Martha. The fitter would tie in also, as Albert was a mechanic by trade , and also one of his sons became a qualified mechanic and William ( Albert's father) working on the rail. I believe he had a mechanical background when younger.
The George definitely ties in. Albert had an elder brother George . He being the only one in the family of his dad that he met. George also came to Australia, although i have no dates as yet, but returned to Ireland when he became terminally ill.
The rest of the family names I have no knowledge of as yet..only Albert & George.
Regards & Thank you again.
Von

CMcG

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 02:41:20 PM »
Hmmm, my jury's still out, I think Albert's 1928 birth record from GRONI is an absolute must. That will settle it, simple.

Regarding the 1911 census return I posted for William James Hunter living in house 29 in Ballyvicknally, with parents Robert and Charlotte and siblings ...

... the parents were Robert Hunter and Charlotte Martin, they got married in Dromore Church of Ireland on 20 June 1878, both were from the townland of Drumskee.

Vonny

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 11:40:50 PM »
You are the best ! I ordered a certificate yesterday and am continuing the search for all of Albert's siblings. I do hope there will still be a couple still alive , although im doubtful. They would be in their late 80's now , if not older.
Hopefully I might find a family member who can help with any missing information.

CMcG

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 04:10:43 AM »

Hopefully I might find a family member who can help with any missing information.

That would be excellent, including anyone who remembers Nevis Avenue in Belfast regarding a John Hunter of number 54 Nevis Avenue, who lived there for decades right up to the year 2000, or a Letitia McKendry and Hugh McMichael and Hamiltons who all lived at number 80 Nevis Avenue in the 1940s / 50s and who must in some way be connected to John Hunter, as they are buried with him.

sam barry

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 01:55:01 PM »
Is this your Letitia ?

Forename of child   Surname of child   Date of birth   Sex of child   Mother's maiden name   Registration district   
U/1885/38/1010/7/96   Letitia   Hamilton   26th September 1885   Female   Hunter   Castlederg

And possibly her parents marriage ?

Record Type   Civil Marriage
Date of Marriage   13 Apr 1871
Groom Name   James HAMILTON
Bride Name   Mary  HUNTER
Church   Castlederg Second Presbyterian Church
Parish   Urney
Civil District   Castlederg
County   Tyrone

And possibly the McMichael/Hunter connection ?

Record Type   Civil Marriage
Date of Marriage   27 Jul 1907
Groom Name   Hugh MCMICHAEL
Bride Name   Mary Jane  HUNTER
Church   Trinity Church of Ireland
Parish   Shankill
Civil District   Belfast
County   Antrim

macroyal

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 12:06:05 AM »

macroyal