Author Topic: Hunter family history, Ballynahinch,Cahard, Belfast & Leggygowan  (Read 5019 times)

macroyal

Re: Hunter family history, Ballynahinch,Cahard, Belfast & Leggygowan
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2015, 12:25:07 AM »
dont know if this is relevent, granny hunter lived at 4 wellesley ave i cant remember much , i think the daughter vilma hunter and my uncle james (jim) mcilroy, after helen died went to toronto canada

Vonny

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2015, 02:29:11 AM »
Hi Thank you for your information. i am presently still trying to soft through Albert's family. As I have no information on any siblings as yet , and my researching is no, I am not sure if they do / don't belong as yet.
I have applied for Alberts birth certificate, so I am still searching a little blind and going through what information has been given me so far.
Thank you again, & I will get through this !
:)

Vonny

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2015, 10:27:41 AM »
Since my last posts, I have established I was on the right track :)
Ive managed to get in contact with a grand daughter who is helping me with a lot of the family back ground  .
Could I please ask for direction of where to look , with regards on where i might find pictures of some of the old houses they lived in ?
Ballyvicknacally is proving to be painful in trying to find .:(

CMcG

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2015, 02:27:38 PM »

Since my last posts, I have established I was on the right track :)

Great news.   :)  So were your folk William James Hunter who married a Martha McDonald on 28 March 1915?

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

Vonny

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2015, 09:49:12 PM »
Yep ! they were :) Thankfully I didnt have to troll through a ton before I hit the jackpot!
One problem at the moment i'm having though is confirmation of births. I have been in contact with a girl in Ireland who is a distant relation , but only knows so much. I have confirmed the births of all but 4 ..and i'm having no luck at all in these last few , unfortunately. One , I think maybe a middle name, the other a nickname , and two..i just have no idea ..hahaha..
One other question ?? How would I find old pics of the houses they lived in ? One in particular is house 29 Ballyvicknacally.

Look forward to chatting with you again soon ! And thank you again for all your help.!

macroyal

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2015, 10:15:25 PM »
ballyvicknally/ vicknealley,,,just look under Dromore

Vonny

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2015, 02:15:07 AM »
I know its a long shot ..but is there anywhere i can actually do a birth search just listing the parents & date ranges & get a list of all children born to them?
I havent been able to find any area or site that i can do this on ?

CMcG

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2015, 06:31:11 AM »

I know its a long shot ..but is there anywhere i can actually do a birth search just listing the parents & date ranges & get a list of all children born to them?
I havent been able to find any area or site that i can do this on ?

If you are talking about the children born to William James Hunter who married Martha McDonald on 28 March 1915, then I'm afraid there is nothing comprehensive online, it's just too modern.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

CMcG

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2015, 06:32:38 AM »
Here is a map of Dromore parish showing Dromore town surrounded by the various townlands, in terms of size it's about 10 miles wide by 6 miles tall, just under 20,500 acres in total:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/MAPS/DromoreTownlands.htm

While the 1901 and 1911 census returns show Robert Hunter and Charlotte (Martin) Hunter and children living in Ballyvicknacally (immediately north of Dromore town), their marriage record of 1878 confirms that they both from Drumaknockan at that time (just a short distance east). In that record, Robert's father is described as William Hunter, a weaver, while Charlotte's father is described as James Martin, a farmer.

Taking Charlotte's age from the 1901/1911 census, I can see a baptism in Drumlough Presbyterian Church for a Charlotte Martin, born 30 April 1860, baptised 29 October 1860, parents James Martin and Sarah Jane Hynds from Drumaknockan (note that one of Robert and Charlotte Hunter's children was called Sarah Jane).

Griffiths Valuation has a local print date of 1863 and shows a James Martin with house, offices and just over 22 acres of land in Drumaknockan.  You can search for him here and see a map of where he lived:

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch

James Martin married Sarah Hynds in Dromore Church of Ireland on 10 June 1853, at the time of marriage he was from Edentrillick, she was from Drumlough, his father was Arthur Martin, a farmer, hers was John Hynds/Hinds, a farmer. In addition to Charlotte, James Martin and Sarah Hynds had at least 2 other children, John baptised 1856 and Arthur baptised 1858, Arthur is married and still living with his family in Drumaknockan in 1901 (note mother Sarah Hynds Martin in the household):

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Ballykeel/Drumanockan/1240233/

Vonny

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2015, 08:41:28 AM »
Wow ! what would I do without you? I am finding its too modern..going back further seems to be easier than the later dates doesnt it ?
Here in Australia, we can do a simple search with just the parents & a date range & find the children born and years of birth.
Everywhere i turn ..i seem to be required to pay..but if its the wrong information I need ..it costs too much $$ when converted over ..unfortunately.

Jim Hunter

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2016, 01:43:49 AM »
I am searching for any information on the family of the late Albert Hunter , his mother is listed on his death certificate as Martha & father William.
Albert was the youngest of 12/13 children and emigrated to Australia in 1950 on the "Empire Brent".
We believe he was born at Leggygowan (death cert) on November 16 1928.
He worked as a motor mechanic in Belfast until emigrating, and listed his home as Cahard at this time also.
If anyone could possible help with any family history or photographs , I would be only to happy to pay for their service.

Thanks any or all who are able to help :)

[Hi Vonny, I found your post quite by accident on this forum, I may be able to help you with some information. I am the grandson of William James Hunter who was the signalman at Ballynahinch Junction. My mother Margaret (Peggy) Hunter is his daughter and Albert and George were her brothers. Of a family of 13 children, my mother and her sister Harriet are the only surviving siblings. I have tried to attached a photograph of my grandfather William James Hunter and my grandmother who was Martha Sarah McDonald but I don't seem to be able to do this.
If you require the photograph or I can be of any further assistance re names and dates of birth etc. please do not hesitate to contact me]

Jim Hunter

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2016, 01:53:16 AM »
Hi Vonny, I found your post quite by accident on this forum, I may be able to help you with some information. I am the grandson of William James Hunter who was the signalman at Ballynahinch Junction. My mother Margaret (Peggy) Hunter is his daughter and Albert and George were her brothers. Of a family of 13 children, my mother and her sister Harriet are the only surviving siblings. I have tried to attached a photograph of my grandfather William James Hunter and my grandmother who was Martha Sarah McDonald but I don't seem to be able to do this.
If you require the photograph or I can be of any further assistance re names or dates of birth etc. please do not hesitate to contact me.

Vonny

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2016, 03:11:41 AM »
Hi Jim !
thank you so much for your reply. I would take any information that we can get ..as well as pictures.
We have been able to trace back with a lot of help from a family member we located there , but are still having quite a lot of difficulty with George's children .
I can be contacted at : [email protected].
It will be a pleasure to trade pics & information with you . :drinks:

Regards
Vonny

Shelly Matthews

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2019, 02:31:24 PM »
Hi Vonny, just discovered this thread.  My Grandfather was John Hunter of 54 Nevis Avenue and he was married to Dorothea Hamilton.  Iím currently researching my family tree and I can try and help with any questions you have.

Bud

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2020, 02:02:04 PM »
hi all, sorry to stumble into this post randomly, I am going through a search for my own family and seen this flag up, I remember John Hunter rightly, he was my granny and grandas next door neighbour.  Very cool to get memories like this on here, I hope you get what you are looking for, John was a great man and so where his dogs  :) maybe you could get in touch with his son if he is still about who owns a glazing company