Author Topic: Hunter family history, Ballynahinch,Cahard, Belfast & Leggygowan  (Read 5021 times)

Shelly Matthews

Re: Hunter family history, Ballynahinch,Cahard, Belfast & Leggygowan
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2020, 01:05:42 AM »
Hi Bud, hope you are well.  My grandfather was John Hunter and I spent a lot of time there when I was growing up.
 I live in Australia now but I have managed to get my hands on quite a lot of photos of Nevis Avenue from the 1940s onwards.  If youíre interested I can email them to you.  Which house were your grandparents in?  52 or 56?  Iím currently researching my family tree and would love to connect with anyone who knew them. 
My uncle is also John Hunter- he is the one who owned the Glazing company in Sydenham.  Itís still going and run by his 3 sons.
Itís lovely to hear from someone about my grandad and Iím sure we probably passed each other at some stage over the years. 
My email is shellymatthews999 at gmail so feel free to contact me if you like.
Shelly

Shelly Matthews

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2020, 01:09:57 AM »
Hi Bud, it wonít let me put my email on here.  After the shellymatthews its 999 @ gmail. com

Bud

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2020, 10:17:48 PM »
that's great, we very well may have bumped into one another. my grandparents lived in 52. I am not sure when they moved into nevis avenue but i would love to see photos, that would be great.  I think Ivor and his wife lived in 56.

i will surely send you an email  :)

Harriet

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2020, 04:12:40 PM »
Hi I am Harriet, George Hunterís daughter.  I was named after my aunt Harriet but go by my second name, Marie.  We emigrated to Australia in 1953.  Uncle Bert, Dadís brother was already in NSW,  married with 3 boys, now 4 I believe.  Uncle Bert encouraged Dad to go to Australia but we settled in the Dandenongs outside Melbourne as Dad had a job with Dunlop in Melbourne.  Unfortunately Dad became gravely Iíll and we returned to Birmingham in 1959.  Dad died in 1966 aged 42.

When I was about 11 we had a holiday in Northern Ireland and stayed at Auntie Martha and Uncle Hughís farm in Ballynahinch.  We met Uncle John and Auntie Dorothy, Auntie Charlotte, Aunt Harriet, Auntie Peggy, Uncle Frank.