Author Topic: Soda Farls  (Read 5561 times)

wee frankie

Soda Farls
« on: November 21, 2015, 03:39:39 PM »
Hi all you ex pats wanting to cook your own sodas - here's the perfect soda given to me by  a friend. Perfect, soft moist just like from a Belfast bakery.

PERFECT SODA FARLS

12 ounces  High Grade Plain Flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartare
1 teaspoon of salt
250 mil milk + 1 tablespoon white vinegar
(warm milk to room temperature add vinegar, leave 30 minutes )

Place flour, baking soda, cream of tartare, salt in a bowl.
Mix dry ingredients
Add soured milk
Mix, no kneading
Form into circle
Flatten to 20 mm thick
Dust cast iron pan (or any pan) with flour
Place soda dough in pan
Cut into 4 pieces   

Cook on electric element Mark 3
10 minutes each side (look beneath for browning, may take a little longer)
Test with a knitting needle, will come out clean when farls are cooked
Place on wire rack, cover with tea towel to cool

Wee Frankie

Joy McVeigh Maze

Re: Soda Farls
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 05:09:07 PM »
Thanks "wee Frankie."  I have copied the recipe.  btw, here's a tip, when the cast iron pan is at the right temp, the dusting flour will turn golden brown; if it gets dark brown too quickly, the pan is too hot.
Next:  Waiting for you to post an "easy" tatie bread recipe and a wheaten farl one too. . . . Yummy    ::)

wee frankie

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 10:18:18 PM »
Hi Joy,
I was beginning to wonder if anybody would reply, maybe they're waiting for Saturday morning to make their Ulster fry. I agree with the flour dusting /burning comment secret is patience and keeping the heat low. Other problem is the flour used, here in NZ I use Champion High Grade Flour which is a plain flour.  Don't use a self raising flour and don't use baking powder, use baking soda, that's why we call them sodas.  The buttermilk recommended in most recipes is not necessary. If standard milk is warmed to room temperature and a tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice is added it will curdle. 

As far as tattie bread goes  I take the following shortcut  I cant be bothered peeling / boiling / mashing spuds.  My local supermarket sells frozen mashed  potatoes in 1 kg bags, they are in a stick form. Using these speeds the whole process up, here's the recipe.  (note baking powder is used)

250 gms potatoes,
40g butter
50g High Grade plain flour,
1 tsp baking powder (mix1/2 teaspoon of baking soda with 1 teaspoon of cream of tartare)
Salt and black pepper

Place the frozen potatoes in a bowl
Add butter
Microwave for 4 minutes
Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, black pepper together
Add to the potatoe/butter mix
Mix all together
Dust a chopping with flour
Roll out mixture about 8mm thick
Warm the cast iron pan on the stove top (about 5 minutes)
Place mixture in cast iron pan about 3 or 4 setting on the stove
Cook about 15 minutes one side
Turn over, cook about 10 minutes on other side

I've had good success with wheaten bread, but again that depends on the flour. I believe wheat grown in Ireland is an unique variety. Other countries don't come close to what we call wheaten or wholemeal flour.  I'll try and test again my wheaten recipe using Ceres Wholemeal Stoneground Flour .  This  flour is available in NZ and Aussie.  If you live in Aussie "Neills" wholemeal flour is available from some outlets, search the internet.

Last but not least, we all love Nambarrie tea. The only decent tea here is PG Tips,  two teabags in a cup to make it stronger. Thank God I can buy HP sauce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about  a bit of feedback from others reading this post about their successes

Wee Frankie

Joy McVeigh Maze

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 10:41:03 PM »
Hi Frankie; thanks for the reply.  Although your first post (soda bread) was written a few days ago, it only showed up to-day.  Perhaps it has to be cleared by the "moderator" in case you are being bad.  Haha

I live in Canada and as for our measurments, we deal in cups, 1/3, 1/2, 3/4 etc.  plus the normal tsps.  I will have to do some conversions.  I don't know if we have frozen mashed potatoes as I have never used them but will have a look.  We do use the dried potatoes if we want to speed up dinner preparation.

I have saved the "tatie" bread recipe to use the next time that I have a craving for it.  We can buy it here in the Scottish Bakeries but there are none really close to where I live. Thanks again

wee frankie

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 11:39:21 PM »
Hi Joy.
Look in the frozen food section,  these mashed spuds have only been in the supermarkets here for about a year.
This will put the cat among the pigeons, I have a recipe for Veda.  A baker from St Georges Market gave me his secret recipe after some persuasion.  Again I cant get "Barley" flour  which looks like drinking chocolate or cocoa powder.  What about mixed pickles ?  I make my own pickled cauliflower because it's not available here, I can only buy silverskin cocktail onions and picked gherkins.  Then there's sausages, nowhere in the world make's sausages like the Ulster butchers. All this talk wants me to sell up and go home.

Wee Frankie

Daveyd

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 04:19:39 AM »
Hi Joy.
Look in the frozen food section,  these mashed spuds have only been in the supermarkets here for about a year.
This will put the cat among the pigeons, I have a recipe for Veda.  A baker from St Georges Market gave me his secret recipe after some persuasion.  Again I cant get "Barley" flour  which looks like drinking chocolate or cocoa powder.  What about mixed pickles ?  I make my own pickled cauliflower because it's not available here, I can only buy silverskin cocktail onions and picked gherkins.  Then there's sausages, nowhere in the world make's sausages like the Ulster butchers. All this talk wants me to sell up and go home.

Wee Frankie

Would love to see the Veda recipe Frankie.

wee frankie

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 05:12:11 AM »
Joy, it took four Friday trips to the St Georges market to squeeze the recipe out of the baker. He wouldn't even speak about the ingredients. He went away with  a wee white beg and a pen. When he returned he put his finger to his lips and said raise yer right hann. Swear yill niver tell anybody where you got this ann yil niver put it on the internet.  How can I break my promise.  All I can say he made the original delicious Veda which I ordered beforehand and asked him to keep aside for me. I had to get to the market early every week as he always sold everything out. So i'm part of the secret Veda society = like the magic circle never to reveal how tricks are done. SORRY

Wee Frankie

Daveyd

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 04:34:28 AM »
Joy, it took four Friday trips to the St Georges market to squeeze the recipe out of the baker. He wouldn't even speak about the ingredients. He went away with  a wee white beg and a pen. When he returned he put his finger to his lips and said raise yer right hann. Swear yill niver tell anybody where you got this ann yil niver put it on the internet.  How can I break my promise.  All I can say he made the original delicious Veda which I ordered beforehand and asked him to keep aside for me. I had to get to the market early every week as he always sold everything out. So i'm part of the secret Veda society = like the magic circle never to reveal how tricks are done. SORRY

Wee Frankie
Oh well, worth a try. Good on you for keeping your word. Davey

wee frankie

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 05:48:01 AM »
Hi Davey, As it turns out I couldn't get the important ingredients in NZ.  Where are you located?

Wee Frankie

Daveyd

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 04:13:12 AM »
Hi Davey, As it turns out I couldn't get the important ingredients in NZ.  Where are you located?

Wee Frankie
In British Columbia, Canada

IRISHDIVA

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 05:27:31 PM »
Made your Soda and they turned out good, But I did use Buttermilk as I always have it. I was worried about the 2 teaspopns of  cream of tartar, as recipe I use it is only 1teaspoon.. But they still turned out good. I am in Canada and the flour here is  different so take a bit of work sometimes to get the recipes from home to work out.
You will never know where you are going.
If you do not remember where you come from.

wee frankie

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 09:36:38 PM »
Hi IrishDiva,
Thanks for the feedback. I totally agree about buttermilk, hovever I've used buttermilk, vinegar or lemon juice with milk and yogurt. Vinegar and milk is available in most households and can be combined to produce good results. The baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is a base while the vinegar (acetic acid) is an acid. When mixed they react together to form carbon dioxide which is captured in the flour, Kneading the mixture releases the carbon dioxide, so it's best not to. 

The flour in Ireland is a soft variety and unique to the country. Most receipes only state “ flour” and people use self raising flour which doesn't give good results.  When plain flour is used with the addition of  baking soda / cream of tartar your actually making self raising flour. However, the amount I use makes it much stronger than the self raising flour bought off the shelf. 
Not to confuse the issue too much but baking soda ( 1 teaspoon) and cream of tartar ( 2 teaspoons) combined make baking powder.  So if you have these in your pantry you can make your own self raising flour and baking powder.

So ends the science lesson

The principle I work on is our ancestors being Irish or Ulster Scots worked with what ingredients that were available. Thats why we have such a vast variety of breads. At the moment I'm experimenting on improving the wholewheat flour available in New Zealand to make wheaten bread.  I'm also working on how to make barley malt flour to make Veda.

Happy baking
Wee Frankie

Bigali

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 11:52:01 PM »
Hi IrishDiva,
Thanks for the feedback. I totally agree about buttermilk, hovever I've used buttermilk, vinegar or lemon juice with milk and yogurt. Vinegar and milk is available in most households and can be combined to produce good results. The baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is a base while the vinegar (acetic acid) is an acid. When mixed they react together to form carbon dioxide which is captured in the flour, Kneading the mixture releases the carbon dioxide, so it's best not to. 

The flour in Ireland is a soft variety and unique to the country. Most receipes only state “ flour” and people use self raising flour which doesn't give good results.  When plain flour is used with the addition of  baking soda / cream of tartar your actually making self raising flour. However, the amount I use makes it much stronger than the self raising flour bought off the shelf. 
Not to confuse the issue too much but baking soda ( 1 teaspoon) and cream of tartar ( 2 teaspoons) combined make baking powder.  So if you have these in your pantry you can make your own self raising flour and baking powder.

So ends the science lesson

The principle I work on is our ancestors being Irish or Ulster Scots worked with what ingredients that were available. Thats why we have such a vast variety of breads. At the moment I'm experimenting on improving the wholewheat flour available in New Zealand to make wheaten bread.  I'm also working on how to make barley malt flour to make Veda.

Happy baking
Wee Frankie

Seriously , if I  were you I would give some thought to establishing a commercial enterprise , there must be thousands of ex pats who would buy your soda,  and if you manage to perfect Veda, the world would quite literally be your oyster.

My big bro who has lived in England for forty plus years can now get M&S potato bread and soda but any time I  visit I still have to bring a couple of Veda, preferably Sunblest  :)
Tout Prest

Dot/dash

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 11:58:21 PM »
Made your Soda and they turned out good, But I did use Buttermilk as I always have it. I was worried about the 2 teaspopns of  cream of tartar, as recipe I use it is only 1teaspoon.. But they still turned out good. I am in Canada and the flour here is  different so take a bit of work sometimes to get the recipes from home to work out.

I don't use cream of tartar with buttermilk either       Mum used cream of tartar      with ordinary

milk    .when she ran out of buttermilk     so I've now followed suit     I sometimes cook my soda farls on

on a pizza stone in the oven      it gives a gorgeous crusty bottom    

love me       love my gelding    

Bigali

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 12:00:25 AM »

I don't use cream of tartar with buttermilk either       Mum used cream of tartar      with ordinary

milk    .when she ran out of buttermilk     so I've now followed suit     I sometimes cook my soda farls on

on a pizza stone in the oven      it gives a gorgeous crusty bottom   

Love a gorgeous crusty bottom  :)
Tout Prest