Author Topic: Soda Farls  (Read 5778 times)

Dot/dash

Re: Soda Farls
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 12:11:20 AM »

Love a gorgeous crusty bottom  :)

oh oh      wrong choice of words      meant to type crusty base      :-[
love me       love my gelding    

Bigali

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 12:12:55 AM »

oh oh      wrong choice of words      meant to type crusty base      :-[

:D
Tout Prest

wee frankie

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 02:03:08 AM »
Hi Dot/dash,
Stop showing off, pizza stone indeed. Where you from the Malone Road. Maybe not,  people from there probably wouldn't eat sodas or tattie bread'

wee frankie

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 02:22:57 AM »
Hi Bigali,
I'm too long in the tooth to start any enterprise. I managed to get a recipe for Veda of a baker in St Georges market last time I was home. As it happens he swore me to secrecy but I couldn't get the ingredients in NZ.  I'm not a baker, just messing about with baking.  There's so much drama around Veda being patented etc. Think about this, the story goes the original Veda was a result of a mistake. I'm more inclined to think someone was down on their luck, or didn't have enough sugar or whatever. They tossed this and that together - I think bout 5 ingredients and Veda was born.  I baked something close to Veda the other day which was pretty good, bit crumbly.  If I crack the code i'll post it, that's what it's all about. Maybe I can call it Wee Frankie bread

Wee Frankie 

wee frankie

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 03:04:17 AM »
Hi Bigali,
Do you like dulse or as we say dullis?  Here's an enterprising way to sell it. In NZ they call it Karengo @ $99.99 for 500 grams.   Yes that's the price, here's the spiel from the trendy organic shop

Pacific Harvest Karengo Fronds are a sea vegetable from the Porphyra family, a cousin of Japanese nori. It is hand-harvested sustainably from the rocky shores of the South Island of New Zealand. Karengo Fronds are bite-size pieces of seaweed that can be used as a snack straight out of the bag or used in cooking as a garnish. It is delicious roasted with nuts and seeds, in an omelette, on a pizza or pan-fried with fish. It is also a tasty addition to soups and salads. Made in New Zealand

Ha, it's about a 1.00 for a good wee bag in most Belfast fruit and vegetable shops - $2.00 NZ

Wee Frankie

carledgar

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2016, 06:58:49 PM »
Hi Frankie; thanks for the reply.  Although your first post (soda bread) was written a few days ago, it only showed up to-day.  Perhaps it has to be cleared by the "moderator" in case you are being bad.  Haha

I live in Canada and as for our measurments, we deal in cups, 1/3, 1/2, 3/4 etc.  plus the normal tsps.  I will have to do some conversions.  I don't know if we have frozen mashed potatoes as I have never used them but will have a look.  We do use the dried potatoes if we want to speed up dinner preparation.

I have saved the "tatie" bread recipe to use the next time that I have a craving for it.  We can buy it here in the Scottish Bakeries but there are none really close to where I live. Thanks again

we also don't have gas/electric stove "marks" as in gas mark three etc. We use temperatures so useful to have conversions although these days I imagine Google knows all

valkillow

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 03:23:30 PM »

Hi Frankie; thanks for the reply.  Although your first post (soda bread) was written a few days ago, it only showed up to-day.  Perhaps it has to be cleared by the "moderator" in case you are being bad.  Haha

I live in Canada and as for our measurments, we deal in cups, 1/3, 1/2, 3/4 etc.  plus the normal tsps.  I will have to do some conversions.  I don't know if we have frozen mashed potatoes as I have never used them but will have a look.  We do use the dried potatoes if we want to speed up dinner preparation.

I have saved the "tatie" bread recipe to use the next time that I have a craving for it.  We can buy it here in the Scottish Bakeries but there are none really close to where I live. Thanks again

You could try using powdered Smash made up to speed it up

geraldine williamson

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 09:37:10 AM »
Hi all you ex pats wanting to cook your own sodas - here's the perfect soda given to me by  a friend. Perfect, soft moist just like from a Belfast bakery.

PERFECT SODA FARLS

12 ounces  High Grade Plain Flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartare
1 teaspoon of salt
250 mil milk + 1 tablespoon white vinegar
(warm milk to room temperature add vinegar, leave 30 minutes )

Place flour, baking soda, cream of tartare, salt in a bowl.
Mix dry ingredients
Add soured milk
Mix, no kneading
Form into circle
Flatten to 20 mm thick
Dust cast iron pan (or any pan) with flour
Place soda dough in pan
Cut into 4 pieces   

Cook on electric element Mark 3
10 minutes each side (look beneath for browning, may take a little longer)
Test with a knitting needle, will come out clean when farls are cooked
Place on wire rack, cover with tea towel to cool

Wee Frankie
Hi there from Coventry UK...just seen your post from 2015 (was lookin up something else) and this is to die for soda bead, mine never comes out quite right but we eat t just the same!  Could this also be made with gluten-free flour I wonder as one of my sons has lower bowel cancer (an ex-fireman currently on chemotherapy) and he is also wheat-free but been told he can take diary fods so all is not lost...look forward to your ideas Gerry (Geraldine but Gerry to all my BF buddie) :)

valkillow

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2018, 01:32:35 PM »

Hi all you ex pats wanting to cook your own sodas - here's the perfect soda given to me by  a friend. Perfect, soft moist just like from a Belfast bakery.

PERFECT SODA FARLS

12 ounces  High Grade Plain Flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartare
1 teaspoon of salt
250 mil milk + 1 tablespoon white vinegar
(warm milk to room temperature add vinegar, leave 30 minutes )

Place flour, baking soda, cream of tartare, salt in a bowl.
Mix dry ingredients
Add soured milk
Mix, no kneading
Form into circle
Flatten to 20 mm thick
Dust cast iron pan (or any pan) with flour
Place soda dough in pan
Cut into 4 pieces   

Cook on electric element Mark 3
10 minutes each side (look beneath for browning, may take a little longer)
Test with a knitting needle, will come out clean when farls are cooked
Place on wire rack, cover with tea towel to cool

Wee Frankie

I'm going to try these as soon as my fractured shoulder has healed , my mum used to make soda bread but instead of cutting into 4 and cooking on a griddle she sliced half way through to portion it into 4 then baked it in the oven can this be done with your recipe? If so what temperature should it be baked at and for how long please?

doe

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2018, 11:00:52 PM »
I haven't been on BF for a while, I got fed up not being able to find anything.  I also am from Canada and I was all set to use  plain flour but then back in 2015 you said it was a soft flour. We have two kinds of flour here. All purpose flour, a hard wheat flour with nothing added to it like in the US.  for bread, tea biscuits and scones etc.The other flour is cake flour which is soft flour and used for cakes. I have never use Cr of tarter in scones but am going to try it. Thanks for the recipe, looking forward to seeing what the difference is from my Grandmothers.

VLA

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2018, 09:19:42 AM »
Hi Wee Frankie

Thanks for the recipe.  Will be doing this week.  I don't suppose you have recipes for the Wheaten and Treacle Farls, as well?
Best regards
VLA