Author Topic: Belmont Primary School.  (Read 791 times)

Ballintoy

Belmont Primary School.
« on: November 26, 2015, 06:41:02 PM »
Did any of you go there ?  I did, a long, long time ago.  I am glad to see that it now looks the same as ever.

;)

paxton27

Re: Belmont Primary School.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 04:59:53 PM »
i went there from 1954-57/58. the office are currently collecting old school class photographs from way back . if you have one, you should contact the office ,as they are wanting to add more to their collection. i have given them a copy of my fathers class photo along with merit conduct cards.

Belfastloon

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 05:35:58 PM »
I went to the Belmont School starting august 1955 to May 1960. I have happy memories of the school but cant remember names of any kids.
The Head Teacher was Miss Mc Mannis (maybe spelt wrong), Mrs McCullough, Mrs Williams and maybe Miss Johnstone, not in that order.

connsabbey

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 05:40:40 PM »
I attended from 1951 until June 1956.
I can remember some of my classmates - Trevor Walker, Margaret Taylor, Judy Seaton, Maurice Halliday, Alan Reid, John Orr, Alasdair Fraser (later to be Director of Public Prosecutions). I wish I could remember more names.
Miss Scott was the principal; my junior infant teacher was Miss Burnside; others included Miss Parker, Miss Brown, Miss Calvert (I'm missing some-one)
Hated school dinners in the dining hall, but had to have them since Connsbrook Ave was too far away to go home for lunch.
Remember prize days outdoors in the school yard.I had to get a regular bus to and from school 1d each way - packed with civil servants; having to stand on platform. Nowadays a 5 year old would not do this alone.
I enjoyed having lunch in it 4 years ago on a trip back to Belfast. Weird to think it marked 60 years since I started.
I've been in Canada for 45 years but I stlll have a soft spot for Belmont

Belfastloon

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 07:02:14 PM »
I do remember Miss Burnside (well the name anyway) and I think she was liked.
I did get school dinners for the first few years, then could walk home for lunch from about age 7. I did not like the dinners either.
They where cooked elsewhere and I still remember the school dinner smell.

I lived on the Wandsworth Road (no not one of the big fancy houses).

I must go back soon and have a look its not a school now I believe.

DaveinLorne

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 05:58:51 PM »
I know this is an old topic, but I just joined the forum. I attended Belmont from about 1950-54, then off to Cabin Hill. I remember Miss Burnside, who was very popular, and Miss Scott who lived behind us. I lived on Ormiston Drive and stayed for lunch- hated them! Especially hated Irish Stew- a grey greasy mess! Have lived in Canada since 1957.