Author Topic: Henry Miller  (Read 732 times)

wee frankie

Henry Miller
« on: November 29, 2015, 08:37:45 AM »
Hi to all reading this post. I've successfully been in contact three branches of my extended family, all due to messages posted on the Forum. In two instances this occurred over a year after I  posted a message. So I would encourage everyone to live in hope of receiving a message that can break down the wall we come up against.  My new post is about my dad's two older step brothers.  The following is details the marriage of Henry Miller and Ellen Kennedy, I would love to hear from any of their descendants. 

Date of Marriage 23rd December 1908
Place Saint Patricks, Church of Ireland, Ballymacarrett
Minister Reverend GG Mervyn

Grooms Name Henry Miller   (bachelor)
Age 23
Occupation Petty Officer
Address HMS Challenge
Grooms Father Alexander Miller
Occupation  Bricklayer

Bride Ellen Kennedy (spinster)
Aged 21
Occupation
Address 21 Hornby Street 
Brides Father John Kennedy
Occupation Labourer

Husbands Witness William John Getty
Wifes Witness Margaret Lavery

In 1911 Henry and Elizabeth are living at 100 Bright Street. He had left the navy and was working as a hand driller, most likely in the shipyard. The couple had a daughter called Elizabeth, born in 1910. 

Henry had two brothers William and Alexander Miller jnr.  (plus five step brothers)

In the 1911 census William Millar is aged 22 was working as a gardener in Holywood living as a boarder at 1 Lennox Place, Holywood. I dont know if he ever married. The last mention of William is in a death notice placed in the Belfast Telegraph -  12 July 1917. This was for his younger step brother John Miller who was killed in France 2 July 1917

Alexander Miller jnr. joined the RIR and died in a drowning accident on 1908 the 18th September 1909 in the Isle of Man (aged 18) 

Regards
Wee Frankie

CMcG

Re: Henry Miller
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 07:15:40 PM »
A Mary Ann Clarke Miller was born on 16 September 1917, the parents were recorded as Henry Miller (described as a "navy man") and Ellen Kennedy, the address was 100 Bright Street.

I can also see a marriage for a William Millar who was a driller rather than a gardener, however it may still be a possibility. This William was married by Rev. A Moore to a Violet Shaw on 1 April 1918 in Holywood Church of Ireland.  He was recorded as a 28 year old bachelor, living in High Street Holywood, his father given as Alexander Millar, a bricklayer.  She was recorded as a 21 year old spinster, her father given as Joseph Shaw, a labourer. The witnesses were a David Jamison and Martha Millar.
If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

wee frankie

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 08:49:43 PM »
Hello CMcG,
I'm extremely happy to say all the information you posted fits.  I know for a fact Henry Millar lived at 100 Bright Street. This is his address in the 1911 census, his age is correct and birthplace was listed as Lancashire.  You are right on the mark for William Millar all his details fit including the witnesses. Martha Jamison was my uncles wife, she married David Jamison after my uncle was killed in WW1.  Thank you so much for this information I can now account for all  8 Millar boys in my Dad's family. I would also like to thank all the other members of the Forum who assisted me in my quest. 

Thank you all
Wee  Frankie

wee frankie

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 02:38:22 AM »
Hello CMcG,
Can you tell me which site you got the information from?   I searched the Ulster Historical Foundation without success for William's marriage. Emerald Ancestors has it recorded however his wife is named Ana Shaw.  I'm afraid to say I've subscribed to several genealogy sites n the past and in my opinion they were very disappointing. The same goes for GRONI where I've entered very correct detailed information and it came up 0 results.   The  most successes I've had was via the Belfast Forum and www.isleofman.com/genealogy/message-board/ The IOM is where my grannie and her ancestors were born and the furthest back I got was 1777.  My point is both sites have provided me offer more information and it's been free due to the generosity of the members. Once again thanks to all for taking time to answer queries and helping out trace those of our families which otherwise would be forgotten.

Wee Frankie

CMcG

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 04:01:18 AM »
Hi there, I can see it in all 3 - the Ulster Historical Foundation website, Emerald Ancestors and GRONI online, just search for a marriage under the name Violet Shaw in 1918. William is listed as Millar.

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

wee frankie

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 05:19:34 AM »
Thanks, in many instances family members spell their name Millar then on another document it's Miller.

NorahM

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 01:41:34 AM »
Hi there Frankie
I picked up your posts from this forum from generally researching Hugh Millar from Holywood - so I have just joined the forum on the basis of our possible connection.  I was very moved regarding your father's story - what a lovely soul he must have been. There weren't many men in those days who brought up their family without a wife. The more family research I do, the more I realize how hard life must have been for some people in the early 1900s. Anyway, I have been doing a bit of family research by DNA on the ancestry site and found that I have DNA links to the Gilmours from the Isle of Man and I have drawn up a family tree that seems to match yours! (Although mine is just a 'potential' at this stage.)  My story is that my grandmother (Lizzie) from county Cavan went to work as a servant in Holywood. She got engaged to a Hugh Millar and they had 2 daughters - Anna (1931) and Elizabeth(1932). Unfortunately my grandmother Lizzie died very young from TB (in her early 20s) and the girls were adopted separately. I was just wondering if your dad or your uncle Hugh might have mentioned anything like that? I have a photo of my Hugh Millar with Lizzie which I would like you to see - if I can figure out how to get it to you!  ??? [size=78%](As a newbie on the site, I can't private message you). Grateful for your thoughts. Regards Norah[/size]