Author Topic: Marie Dooley of 59 Thompson Street  (Read 1553 times)

Voirrey

Marie Dooley of 59 Thompson Street
« on: December 03, 2015, 04:41:37 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am looking for any knowledge of the Dooley Family of 59 Thompson Street. Josie Dooley (nee Gunning) died when her children were quite young, and Arthur was sent to the Royal Hospital School in Norfolk - this was a Navy School which might tie in with his mother's father being Naval man himself.

I have seen a post about the family on here from a good number of years back and the person who posted it has not been active since 2010, so possibly no longer with us.

Can anyone help me with this search?

Many thanks

Voirrey ::)

billh35

Re: Marie Dooley of 59 Thompson Street
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 05:42:12 PM »
I have cross posted this on to a Short Strand group on Facebook to see if it brings any results.

Voirrey

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 06:22:11 PM »
Thank you very  much - I am new to the group and appreciate the help

shortstrand15

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 01:52:41 AM »
Hi....my gran was Vera Gunning ( Maynes), Josephine was her sister. Marie moved to The Isle of White in her youth....happy to chat and answer any questions I can

😊

billh35

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 09:17:57 AM »
I remember my mum speaking about Vera Gunning but I have absolutely no idea why. My mother was Maureen Malone before she was married.

Dub

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 03:40:35 PM »
Vera Gunning was my Aunt, She was married to my uncle Harry. I used to visit them in 59 Thompson Street. Bridie Gunning also lived there.
                                                                                                                                                                                                All the best, Dub.
If you don't read the papers,you are not informed.
When you do read the papers, you are misinformed.  ( Mark Twain. )

austree

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 05:51:18 AM »
Hi, I stumbled across this forum a little while ago while searching for information on my family tree, but only registered today. I was thrilled to find a number of posts that directly relate to my family, including this one. My mother lived at 59 Thompson Street until she left for Australia in 1962, and I am one of five Australian grandchildren of Harry (Henry) and Vera Maynes. I am really looking forward to exploring all the family connections and I am sure I will be posting some questions as time goes on. 

Dub

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 09:19:47 AM »
Hi austree, welcome to the forum. I am your 2nd cousin. The last time I saw your mother was at Vera's funeral. I will send you on a PM later.
                                                                                                                                                                                                 All the best. Dub.
If you don't read the papers,you are not informed.
When you do read the papers, you are misinformed.  ( Mark Twain. )

austree

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 03:45:36 AM »
Hi shortstrand15,
I'm one of your Australian cousins. I've sent you a PM. I'd love to hear from you.

CdeB˙rca

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 09:46:12 PM »
Knew Vera and Bridie in the "50s / '60s. A young girl lived with them. I think her name was Gretta.

Gerard Mcg

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 01:35:39 AM »
Knew Vera and Bridie in the "50s / '60s. A young girl lived with them. I think her name was Gretta.

She was known to us as Etta.

Gerard Mcg

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2020, 01:38:43 AM »
Hi, I stumbled across this forum a little while ago while searching for information on my family tree, but only registered today. I was thrilled to find a number of posts that directly relate to my family, including this one. My mother lived at 59 Thompson Street until she left for Australia in 1962, and I am one of five Australian grandchildren of Harry (Henry) and Vera Maynes. I am really looking forward to exploring all the family connections and I am sure I will be posting some questions as time goes on.

The word Dapper was invented for your grandfather.Always dressed to meet royalty and such a relaxed and easy going manner.Lovely guy that,truly,not a bad word was ever heard about.

austree

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2020, 01:46:41 AM »
Did you know my Mum too? She was Vera and Harry's eldest daughter. Her name was Mary Patricia, but everyone knew her as Pat. She left Belfast in 1961 to come to Australia. Unfortunately she died in her sleep on 24th August 2019.

Marcie

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 02:22:39 PM »
Hi  everyone my dad was from shortstrand and lived in 59 thompson street .his name was joseph gunning .his sisters bridie and vera lived their with uncle harry maynes and Elizabeth..my cousin .Elizabeth lives still in the strand in Madrid street ..I remember pat my cousin going to Australia  in 1961 ..

Marcie

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 02:34:02 PM »
Yes I knew pat she was my cousin .I was very young when she set sail for Australia.  She came back to attend my aunt Vera's funeral .some years back .so sorry to hear she has passed away