Author Topic: James cassidy 20 princes street belfast  (Read 673 times)

terryd

James cassidy 20 princes street belfast
« on: January 11, 2016, 11:44:49 PM »
Hi all, im searching for any information regarding a James Cassidy, shows in 1901 census as 20 princes street Belfast,
James was showing as a publican, problem is i can find two of his youngest children in St patricks Industrial school Falls road namely James and Joseph in the 1911 census but none of the rest of the Family.
My Grand Mother (Susana Shields) 76 falls road had taken young Joseph from St Pat's Home but sadly he joined the British army (17th royal Scots) and was killed in action 1918 in France. street directories show them as living at 20 princes Street up to 1908 or so[size=78%].[/size]
 I[/font] would love to find out where his parents and other siblings went to and if i can trace any living relative so i can share war medals and photos[/font]
etc.[/font]
Regards,
Terry Diamond

CMcG

Re: James cassidy 20 princes street belfast
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 06:27:44 AM »
Here are a few possibilities:

GRONI online has a death registered in Belfast of a Phillip Cassidy who died on 7 December 1901 with a reported age of 1, this may be Philip shown in the 1901 census return for house 20 in Princes Street.

GRONI online also has a death registered in Belfast of an Isabella Cassidy who died on 10 June 1906 with a reported age of 35, this is a possibility to explain the family breakup.

A bit more speculative, but the 1911 census shows a P. Cassidy in Gortmore Army Barracks, County Tyrone.  He is a Private in the 3rd Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, he is 18, RC, a flax dresser and, critically, born in Scotland. Maybe Patrick?

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tyrone/Omagh_Urban/Gortmore/843857/

Here is the actual page:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003383925/

If there are any images posted above that are important to you, take your own copy - I cannot guarantee they will appear indefinitely.

acassidy

Re: James cassidy 20 princes street belfast
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 01:10:50 AM »
 Hi I am new to the forum as I was looking for James Cassidy also. I believe the person you are seeking is my husband's great grandfather. I have more info on him and his family which you already have by now. Indeed you may have info that will be helpful in building the Cassidy tree. There were more children but the mother and father died within months of each other. I need to check the post on Joe as James brother Joe was seriously injured.