Author Topic: Hopeton St School  (Read 1187 times)

Robert Mckee

Hopeton St School
« on: January 21, 2016, 03:25:42 PM »
would any of the members have information about Hopeton Street School...

lynjar

Re: Hopeton St School
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 09:16:38 AM »
Don't remember a School in Hopeton Street on the Shankill Road but my granny and granda lived there from about 1926 until it was demolished in the 70's.  Mum and all my aunties and uncles were born and raised at 73 Hopeton Street.

hopetonst72

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 07:17:58 AM »
Hi

I am new to this site. Hopefully I am replying to the correct person regarding 73 Hopeton St. I lived at 72 Hopeton St and was involved with the Hoy family.
Robert ( Bob) mcClean

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 09:19:20 AM »
The Hopeton Street School (a.k.a. Hopeton Street School for Poor Children) was at no. 2 Hopeton Street in 1877 ( source: http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/hijkcomplete1877.htm - also listed in subsequent years).

Unitarian Church missionaries instigated the school and commenced a Sunday School and evening classes there in 1875. In time and with donations and other assistance, it flourished as a school. In 1914, a new National School in Malvern Street opened and replaced it.

lynjar

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 06:14:52 PM »
Bob McLean - my mum was Louie Hoy, the eldest of the Hoy siblings.  Sadly she died 2 years ago and the only ones left are Edna living in South Africa for over 50 years and George who has lived in England for many years.  Myrtle dies about 5 years ago and Mollie, Albert and Jackie before that.  I don't recall you I'm sorry to say but only lived with granda and Myrtle on and off but I remember The McCleans (number 75), Dougals and Irwins but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the lady at number 71.  Also remember Myrtle being friends with one of the Bothwell family.  Do you remember Mrs Sanlon's shop at the bottom?  I seemed to spend a lot of time going round all the wee street shops looking for shillings for the gas meter!  Lovely to hear from someone who lived there.  If you have other memories do post them. 

hopetonst72

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 04:55:08 AM »
Hi Lynjar

We left for Canada in 1959 when I was 15. My memory for names has declined. Before we left I went around selling sticks for fire starters with one of the Hoy boys. They had a pony and cart. The pony's name was Rosie. Myself and other lads on the street used to work in your backyard tying up these sticks for sale, We lived next door to Bothwells.
I am stlll in touch with Allan and Florence McKeown. Their parents had the place at #63. Allan is now in Sarnia Ontario and Florence is living in Portadown. I live near Almonte Ontario. My brother and Allan and I are currently trying to reconstruct some of our memories of Hopeton St  Bob McClean

Terry in Ottawa

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 01:59:29 PM »
This picture of my sister and I was taken on Hopeton Street in the late 1950's. The houses in the background are some of the odd numbered addresses on Hopeton Street. I suspect one of these would have been the Hoy's house. Does it bring back any memories?

jillyfred

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 02:22:05 PM »

Lovely photograph Terry.

jilly :)

hopetonst72

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 04:10:53 PM »

I can't post the links to the source of this information but if you contact me I will email them to you.

Interesting fact!
 The Hopeton Street School (a.k.a. Hopeton Street School for Poor Children) was at no. 2 Hopeton Street in 1877 .

Unitarian Church missionaries instigated the school and commenced a Sunday School and evening classes there in 1875. In time and with donations and other assistance, it flourished as a school. In 1914, a new National School in Malvern Street opened and replaced it.  It was named the “Riddell Memorial School” ( called the “Wee Riddle” by the kids who attended) as it was funded by the Riddell sisters who inherited a large fortune and who generously donated to schools in Protestant working class areas and to the Royal Victoria Hospital and other institutions.  They attended the First Presbyterian Church of Belfast in Rosemary St which was a member of the Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church of Ireland (affiliated with the Unitarians).
 Members of the church also helped establish the Belfast Academical Institution ( which eventually was bestowed the title of “Royal BAI” now known as INST) and the Belfast Royal Academy (BRA) on the Cliftonville Road.

Liz5748

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 03:18:35 PM »
would any of the members have information about Hopeton Street School...
Hi! There wasn't a school in Hopeton street it was in Malvern Street. That's were i went then moved on to Everton

CMcG

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 04:02:41 PM »

Hi! There wasn't a school in Hopeton street it was in Malvern Street. That's were i went then moved on to Everton

There was a school in Hopeton Street, just not in your time frame.  Read my reply #3 above.

Liz5748

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 05:06:36 PM »
Hi! I had never heard of the school in hopeton street it was way before my time. There was a little mission hall at the bottom of the street, that’s what I remembered being there.