Author Topic: French Family.  (Read 1768 times)

roy french

French Family.
« on: January 27, 2016, 06:06:35 PM »
There are so many "French" family members with the same forename, I seem to have gotten myself thoroughly confused, mixing up generations etc.,

Taking one step at a time, I am trying to find the parents for Ivy and Ida French.  Both were born abt 1928 in Belfast,  Distant relatives have given me conflicting data.  One says they were sisters another says cousins.

Ida married a Thomas Stothers and Ivy married a Kenneth Gibson.    Ida died in 2009 and is buried in Roselawn.  Ivy died 2007 and also buried in Roselawn.

Ida's father, I think, is William French, mother Margaret Jameson (?).    Ivy I don't know.

I would appreciate if anyone would have information about Ida and Ivy'v parents and other ancestors.

Thank you.

Roy French
Mississauga - Canada.

sam barry

Re: French Family.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 08:49:15 PM »
Is this William's marriage:

Record Type   Civil Marriage
Date of Marriage   6 Dec 1913
Groom Name   William FRENCH
Bride Name   Margaret  GARDNER (JAMISON)
Church   Saint Annes Church of Ireland
Parish   Shankill
Civil District   Belfast
County   Antrim

Possible 1st marriage for Margaret ?

Record Type   Civil Marriage
Date of Marriage   14 Aug 1907
Groom Name   Robert GARDNER
Bride Name   Margaret  JAMISON
Church   Westbourne Presbyterian Church
Parish   Knockbreda
Civil District   Belfast
County   Down

And death of Robert Gardner ?

Name of deceased    Robert Gardner
Last place of residence    51 Lisburn Rd 38 Tamar St
Age   29 Years
Sex   
Date of death   28 August 1912
Date of burial   31 August 1912
Cemetery   Dundonald Cemetery
Grave section and number   F4 705
Burial Type   Earth Burial

Others in the same grave as Robert:

Occupants of grave F4 705, Dundonald Cemetery
Forename    Surname   Age    Date of death    Date of burial    Cemetery    Details    Record image
Margaret Gardner   French   6 Months   30 August 1916   31 August 1916                          Dundonald Cemetery   
Annie Frances           French   8 Months   22 October 1916   24 October 1916          Dundonald Cemetery   
Archibald Boyd           French   12 Weeks   25 September 1919   26 September 1919          Dundonald Cemetery
William                   French   3 1/2 Years   15 February 1921   17 February 1921   Dundonald Cemetery   
Robert                  Gardner   29 Years   28 August 1912   31 August 1912                          Dundonald Cemetery   
Maggie                  Gardner   12 Years   2 September 1915   5 September 1915         Dundonald Cemetery   

NB: Births after 1916 are note yet on line.   

sam barry

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 09:20:21 PM »
Is this Will of Interest ?

Title :    Mrs    Date of Death :    17 October 1961
Surname :    French    Date of Grant :    23 May 1962
Forename :    Margaret    Reseal Date :   
Registry :    Belfast    Effects :    Effects £2837 14s 2d
No Image
Full Abstract :
French, Margaret of 26 Loopland Park Belfast widow died 17 October 1961 at Royal Victoria Hospital Belfast Administration Belfast 23 May to William French newsagent. Effects £2837 14s. 2d.

There is one other in the same grave as Thomas and Ida:

Occupants of grave S 4144, Roselawn Cemetery
Forename    Surname   Age    Date of death    Date of burial    Cemetery    Details    Record image
Thomas   Corr   63   20 October 2010   25 October 2010   Roselawn Cemetery
Isabella (Ida)   Stothers   81   6 September 2009   10 September 2009   Roselawn Cemetery
Thomas Houston   Stothers   57   22 January 1984   25 January 1984   Roselawn Cemetery   

Here is a grave in Dundonald with the French\Gardner connection:

Occupants of grave E1 316, Dundonald Cemetery
Alice   French   18 Years   22 July 1941   24 July 1941   Dundonald Cemetery
William   French   20 Years   3 February 1946   5 February 1946   Dundonald Cemetery
Elizabeth   Gardner   34 Years   7 April 1945   10 April 1945   Dundonald Cemetery   
George   Gardner   41 Years   25 December 1949   28 December 1949   Dundonald Cemetery      

roy french

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 01:25:45 AM »
Thanks so much Sam.

All of this data seems to be pertinent.

I will enter into my Family Tree Maker and I am sure the names and time frames will dovetail.

At 82 years old with minimal computer skills, it takes me a little longer than most to absorb and process data.

Do the records indicate who the parents of William French might be? 

It would seem the Ivy French who married Kenneth Gibson is not a sister of Isabella (Ida) French.  Probably a cousin whose father would be a brother to William French.

So kind of you to help me with this.

Kind regards,

Roy French
Mississauga -Canada.

Rosemary Joan

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 12:18:58 PM »
Hello again Roy,

William French's father was John according to his marriage in 1913.

RosemaryJoan
As ye sow, so shall ye reap

roy french

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 09:33:42 PM »
Thank you Sam and Rosemary Joan.

I don't seem to be able to find the William French/Robert Gardner/Margaret Jamison  in the 1901 or 1911 census.  I know Robert Gardner died in 1912 but he should have been in the 1911 census.

The Maggie Gardner shown in Dundonald grave F4 705, shows her as 12 years old when she died in 1915.  So I suspect she is not a daughter as Robert Gardner did not marry until 1907.

As Rosemary Joan may recall, most of my FRENCH ancestors originated in Co. Down, primarily in the Banbridge area.  I just can't find a John French who would fit the bill as the father of the William French who is the second husband of Margaret Jamison.

Still cannot find anything on Ivy French other than her burial with Kenneth Gibson in Roselawn Cemetery.  She is related to Isabella Ida French but a connection eludes me.

Again, thanks so much for your kind assistance.

Roy French
Mississauga- Canada.

sooty21jf

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 07:46:48 PM »
Hello Roy,

Hello Roy, Hope this finds you in good health ?  I'm just retired and like your good self i have an interest in my family tree, I've just seen this site ????? and i live in Belfast still ??? i know ???? i found your post.

your a French, and so am i.

My name is Joseph French 60 YEARS OLD lived in West Belfast all my life, we were original from the Shore Road/ Glengormley/ 50's & 60's

My fathers name is also the same, My MOTHER was Madeline French/ mcCrory / Lappin (her Mother)

Whiteabbey/ Shore Road BUNGALOWS, Loughside/Loughview.

trying to find out more about the frenches in N.Ireland .

can you shed any light on them ?

Joe.

roy french

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 09:13:47 PM »

Hi Joe,   

I think you will find most of your French line will be descendants from the Co. Antrim French's.   My French's were from the Banbridge area of Co. Down although a few moved to Belfast.  Mostly to East Belfast.

I have never found a connection between the Co. Antrim French's and the Co. Down French's.   There may have been one in the early 1800s and 1700s but those records I have never been able to access.

A lot of my information came from some of the very kind people on Belfast Forum, as you will have noticed.

I am an 84 year old senior currently re-habbing from two major surgeries so not able to spend much time on Family Tree Research at this time.

I did find a lot of information in Family Search run by the Church of Latter Day Saints.   It is a free web site.  Being on a very modest fixed income I no longer subscribe to "for fee" websites.   The Mormons have a Temple in Belfast with a Family History Library.  It is a great facility with excellent volunteers.   If you have not done so already may I suggest you visit.   I think it would be well worth while.

The names and locations you mentioned are not familiar to me so I do not think there is a connection.   

Sorry I could not be of more help.   

Kind regards

Roy French
Mississauga-Canada.

sooty21jf

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 09:28:31 PM »
Hello Roy,

Thanks for taking the time and Getting back to me, your info was appreciated, Cheers. i will follow it up.

You may be in 84 and in bad health but you sound 100% in your emails, Good Luck in the future, i'll say a wee prayer for you that your back up and on your feet really soon. I'll be in "Grimsby" Ontario, which is down towards Niagara Falls visiting relatives (Mothers Side) in early July, So maybe i'll get the chance to meet you and buy you a coffee in Mississauga. so i hope you have a speedy recovery Roy.

all the best

Joe French,

(I've since found out my Great-grand father's people were all from Aghagallon, Lurgan,)

roy french

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 07:32:19 AM »
Hi Joe.

Glad you found your Gt. Gf. location.     As I suspected, although Aghagallon is in the Poor Law Union of Lurgan, the parish and townland are in Co. Antrim.   As is the Barony.

There is a lot of data on Aghagallon on the internet so you should have good research bases to work with.

Hopefully I will be back to some semblance of normal by next July so might just take you up on your offer of a cuppa.

Good luck with your endeavours.

Kind regards,

Roy

fred g

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 07:41:34 PM »
In the 1950's if memory serves me right there was was  an Ida french and tommy stothers who lived in fox street east belfast and then moved to tower street east belfast.back in those days my mother would have still called girls she knew by their maiden name. I  think the tommy and ida had a daughter called lilian stothers

roy french

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 05:37:35 PM »

Hi Fred.     You are absolutely correct (as usual).                Ida Isabel French was the daughter of  William French and Margaret Jamison (Jamieson).  She was born in 1928 and died in 2009.  She is buried in Roselawn Cemetery.
She married Thomas Houston Stothers.    They had three children.  Isabel, Thomas and Lillian.      Isabel (Corr) Stothers  I think can be found on FB.

I have been unable to find any other data on Lillian (d 2009)  and nothing on son Thomas.   

Anyone interested can see more data on my French Family Tree in Ancestry.ca.  It is public except for living people.

Kind regards
Roy French
Mississauga-Canada.

fred g

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 07:08:50 PM »
roy Lillian and I were in the same class in beechfield primary school through the early years.I lost track when we went to senior schools

roy french

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 06:11:36 AM »

Hi Fred.       Really is a small world.        I recently had an e-mail from a fellow octogenarian living in New Zealand.     He happened to see my post on Elmgrove Primary School  (Beersbridge Road) Web site and remembered that  he and I were classmates in 1946.  Wow!

Roy French
Mississauga-Canada

wavey davey

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 12:59:52 PM »

Hi all
Just chanced upon this thread re French Surname. My grand mother was baptised Letitia French Waterworth. She was born on the 14 February 1895 to David Waterworth and Catherine Smeeth, at Valentine Street Belfast (under the shadow of Gallagher’s Tobacco Factory).
The Waterworth family group seemed to be in the habit of using surnames from other close family members but I have not found a union between a Waterworth and French Yet.
It took some time to find her in the Census of Ireland  as French had been misspelled.
All the best with your own research.
David