Author Topic: Smyth - Barrack Street  (Read 956 times)

sundance_kid

Smyth - Barrack Street
« on: February 29, 2016, 10:23:14 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I have started looking into my families Ancestry and wondering if anyone could be of any help or able to share some information. They lived in Barrack street.

My Great grandfather was Edward (Ned) Smyth. 

Thanks

sam barry

Re: Smyth - Barrack Street
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 10:33:19 AM »
Have you any more information ?.   Marriage, approx years, children etc  ???

JimG

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 12:22:59 PM »
I came up with     I looked with muddled results. without dates from you,  I could find no Smyth living in Barrack street in online accessible Street directories and Census., but I could find several Smith  in Barrack Street who might be your relatives
1911 census
9 in Barrack Street (Smithfield, Antrim)
James Smith aged 36 b Co Cavan Cabinet maker [in a boarding house]
15 in Barrack Street (Smithfield, Antrim)
 (Smithfield, Antrim) stephen signed himself Smith
Smith  Stephen          33       Male    Head of Family          Roman Catholic         City of Belfast            General Labourer      Read and write          -            Married          -           -
Smith  Maggie            32       Female            Wife    Roman Catholic         City of Belfast            -           Read and write          -           Married          -            14       6          4
Smith  Owen  13       Male    Son      Roman Catholic         City of Belfast            Scholar           Read and write          -           Single  -           -           -            -
Smith  Stephen          11       Male    Son      Roman Catholic         City of Belfast            Scholar           Read and write          -           -           -           -            -           -
Smith  William           4          Male    Son      Roman Catholic         City of Belfast           
Smith  Henry 2          Male    Son      Roman Catholic         City of Belfast            -           -           
Higgin Margaret        73       Female            Aunt    Roman Catholic         Co Tyrone Single        could be  relative of  Maggie
In this specific Smithfield area
5 in Milford Street (Smithfield, Antrim)  married one year
Smyth Edward          37       Male    Head of Family          Roman Catholic         Down  Blacksmith     Read and write          -           Married          -            -           -
Smyth Rose    28       Female            Wife    Roman Catholic         Louth  -           Read and write          -           Married          -           1          -           -
Duffey            Mary   69       Female            Visitor Roman Catholic         Louth  Cook Domestic Servant         Read and write          -           Widower
8 in Derby Street (Smithfield, Antrim)
Smyth John    46       Male    Head of Family          Roman Catholic         Co Down Ireland       House Carpenter       Read and write          -            Widower        -
Smyth Sophia            21       Female            Daughter        Roman Catholic         Co Down         Seamstress     Read and write          -           Single  -            -           -           -
Smyth Sarah  19       Female            Daughter        Roman Catholic         Belfast            Smoother in Wareroom        Read and write          -            Single  -           -
Smyth Edward          14       Male    Son      Roman Catholic         Belfast            Clerk Drapery Store  Read and write          -

Switching to Street directories see http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk
Barrack St  House nos13, 15. Smith, Stephen, drover
elsewhere
Smyth, Edwd., blacksmith, 118 Albert Street
Smyth, Edwd., St. Kilda, Alliance Avenue
Smyth, Edwd., spirit grocer, 1 Ballycarry Street
Smyth, E., butcher, 185 Newtownards Road
Smyth, E. W., cab and car owner, 14 Fitzwilliam Street
Barrack St 
House nos13, 15. Smith, Stephen, drover
elsewhere
Jonesboro' Street
Ravensdale Street to Isoline Street
79. Smyth, Edward, labourer   I checked him out at http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/community/burialrecords/burialrecords.aspx he may have died 3 Nov 1941 aged 69 at 51 Lisburn Road buried with Margaret d 1944 aged 74 and John aged 18 died 1August 1922
1943 its difficult to search thoroughly so just one example for you
Devonshire Street
from 42 Albert Street to 197 Grosvenor Road
16. Smyth, Edward, labourer

further sources which list many Edward Smyth recorded on births marriages and deaths
http://www.ancestryireland.com/family-records https://www.emeraldancestors.com

I stop there as see if you had had any other replies. Yes you have, indeed if you come up with further information Sam Barry's the Man

Good luck onwards JimG

CMcG

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 02:04:50 PM »
Agreed, more info needed, especially on year.  :)

For example, in the 1901 census there is a 24 year old Edward Smyth with parents Daniel Smyth and Catherine Murray (who married in Drumaroad RC Church in 1868), together with his siblings in house 38 (as enumerated) in Barrack Street:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Smithfield/Barrack_Street/972704/

The 1901 Belfast street directory, courtesy of the Lennon Wylie website, lists the following entry for street number 38 Barrack Street:

Smith, Misses, dress makers

I wonder if this is the same family? (look at the occupations of Daniel and Catherine's daughters in the 1901 census return - milner (sic) trade and dressmaking...)

Anyhow, if not your Edward Smyth, you need to provide more detail...  :)

JimG

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 11:26:11 PM »
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/ is not available temporarily but if CMcG is right on the line with Daniel the household original  that census entry shows all the family except the wife come from Ballydugan Co Down. To look up Ros Davies surnames index for Smith and Smyth the parish will be a great help it is probably Down civl parish but I am not sure.  Guess what i rechecked a google map still dont know parish but the Ballydugan Road leads from Downpatrick to Clough . Daniels wife has an entry saying b Clough!.  An Edward Smith in Ballydugan is listed in http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation 1853 and finally an  Hugh Smith, Townland: Ballydugan Year: 1833 is listed in http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/down-parish.php#.VtTVNMfHQ5Q

so hoping its daniel

sundance_kid

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 02:12:21 PM »
Afternoon Folks,

Apologies for the extremely late reply and thank you for the help.

Since my original post I have been trying to delve into my families ancestry through on-line achieves, I have managed to find out a lot of great information and date back to 1878 but nothing that pre-dates this.

My original search begun with Barrack Street and has now ended with Barrack Street or Lettuce Hill. I will add some information below in the hope that someone on here could point me in the right direction as to where I could maybe find some more information or the next route to search down.

I have found Census documents which show the family name spelt with Smith and Smyth,

In 1901 Census the Smyth family address was recorded as 58.1 in Lettuce Hill - Smithfield. Head of house Stephen Smyth aged 23, his wife Maggie Smyth (Margaret Hagan) Born aprox 1879
In 1911 Census the family was recorded as Smith with an address at 15 Barrack Street. (JimG hit the nail on the head with this one in a post above)

1901 - www  .census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Smithfield/Lettuce_Hill/973794/
1911 - www  .census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Smithfield/Barrack_Street/185206/

Any help would be appreciated

SD

JimG

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 11:55:17 AM »
Hi SD, lets recap about your topic your family Smyth [possibly Smith as happens] family tree as known to us
1.  unknown Smyth[often recorded as Smith]
children
1.1.  Edward (Ned) Smyth. Great Grandfather. no dates supplied [you think connected to Barrack street but react to just Stephen Smyth who doesn’t connect to an Edward] in 1901 or 1911 census
children
1.1.1.  not named Smyth grandfather keep private if you want but a birth date might help
children
1.1.1.1.   not named Smyth father private
children
1.1.1.1.1.   not named Smyth Smyth aka Sundance kid private

facts so far recorded, in this topic for any Edward aka Ned Smyth, with direct named connection to Barrack Street from the 1901 and 1911 is just this one family alone
1[size=78%]901 census[/size]
38 in Barrack Street (Smithfield, Antrim)
Smyth Daniel 61 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Ballydugan, Down Co Black Smith Read and write - Married
Smyth Catherine 50 Female Wife Roman Catholic Clough C Down House Keeper Read and write - Married -
children[/font][/color]
Smyth M J 30 Female Daughter Rom Catholic Ballydugan Dress Maker Read and write - Not Married -by 1911 m Sweeneyaged 42 full name is Mary Jane
Smyth Hugh 28 Male Son Rom Catholic Ballydugan Black Smith Read and write - Not Married - not living with parents 1911
Smyth Edwd 24 {so b~1876-7} Male Son Rom Catholic Ballydugan Black Smith Read and write - Not Married –does not live with family in 1911
Smyth Sarah 22 Female Daughter Rom Catholic Ballydugan Dress Maker Read and write - Not Married - not living with parents 1911
Smyth Bela aka Bella 20 Female Daughter Rom Catholic Ballydugan Milener and Sales Read and write - Not Married with parents in 1911 aged 34-
Smyth William 18 Male Son Rom Catholic Ballydugan Mechanic Read and write - Not Married - with parents in 1911 aged 32
SmithDan 16 Male Son Rom Catholic Ballydugan Black Smith Read and write - Not Married - with parents in 1911  aged 30
Smyth Elizabeth 14 Female Daughter Rom Catholic Ballydugan Milner and Sales Aprentice Read and write - Not Married - with parents in 1911
Smyth Briget 12 Female Daughter Rom Catholic Ballydugan At School Read and write - Not Married -with parents in 1911aged 28[
NOTES there are two Ballydugan townlands in Co Down, one in Down civil parish 3 km 1.9 miles SW of Downpatrick, the other in Tullylish civil parish 2km SW of Bleary near the County Armagh border ie some 30 miles west of Downpatrick.

in 1911 this family has moved to 126 Dover St Woodvale, Edward has left home and could be m living 5 in Milford Street (Smithfield, Antrim)
Smyth Edward 37 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Down Blacksmith Read and write - Married [ 1909 son of Daniel see Ulster Historical Foundation credits needed or join  ie  https://www.ancestryireland.com/[/font]
Smyth Rose 28 Female Wife Roman Catholic Louth - Read and write - Married - 1 so 1909 ]
 [/font][/color]
Are you connected to the above family? or not?

if not, then i cant help you further unless you specify something definite eg bmd with a date and the details of source
if yes, then Ballydugan records galore as cmcg spotted
keep going eitherway

sundance_kid

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 02:08:18 PM »

Afternoon Jim,

thank you for the reply,, I have provided some information below.

1.1.  Edward (Ned) Smyth. Great Grandfather. no dates supplied [you think connected to Barrack street but react to just Stephen Smyth who doesn’t connect to an Edward] in 1901 or 1911 census[/size]children.

1) Edward was born in 1911 and thats maybe why he wouldn't be on the 1911 Census,

2) Born Barrack Street to Stephen Smyth (Born 1878) & Margaret Smyth (Nee Hagan Born 1879)

3) Edward married Lucy Rooney from Sheriff St in the Short Strand and moved there after the marriage

4) Edwards sibling were Owen - 1898/ Stephen - 1899/ William (Billy) - 1907-1979/ Henry - 1909/ Tory - Unknown DoB/ Mary - Unknown DoB/ Vincent - Unknown DoB.

5) Edward and Lucy had 3 Children, James born 1944 in Sheriff Street, Joan DoB Unknown, passed away 2015 - Born sheriff Street and Stephen born around 1951 in Montgomery street.

I have found some information on the family with Census in 1901 living at 58.1 Lettuce Hill and 1911 living in 15 Barrack Street but thats as far as it goes for me.

I cant seem to find a connection between the family you mentioned with Daniel Smyth, that is not to say they weren't cousins or somthing like that but with all the information i have put into the ancestry tree it doesn't throw up any links.

if there is anything else which may be of help or other routes to look down that would be great.

JimG

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 10:26:15 AM »
i am close to running out of further sources for you

from ancestryireland
a Stephen Smyth m 1871 a Roseann in Newry Co down 
a sSephen Smyth m 1872 Co Armagh
a Vincent Smith b 1876 father Stephen Smith Antrim ancestryireland  that made me wonder Stephen the son of stephen the grandfather
another Vincent inserted into tree without proof for Vincent b 1903 see below

comparing house numbers to the census is not straight forward. 
Lettuce Hill  ran from  Divis St to Galway Street very strange thats because its 19.1 comes up with a John and his mother both b Co. Monaghan. however Stephen’s house number is 58.1 . I don’t think they are connected just tracing John onwards
1896 John Smith 19 lettuce hill Proni
1899 John Smith 19 lettuce hill Proni
1900 John Smith 19 lettuce hill Proni
1901 John Smith 19 lettuce hill http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk
1907 John Smith 19 lettuce hill http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk
1910 John Smith 19 lettuce hill http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk
1912 moved away completly
a John Smith died 1912 see ancestryireland

15 in Barrack Street (Smithfield, Antrim) based on the census
Stephen is altready there in 1907 Lennonwylie    [St  directories not online 1902-1906]
Stephen Smith b 1878 City of Belfast  33   Roman Catholic    City of Belfast  General Labourer  in 1901     Read and write     -  m 1896 Emeraldancestors   
Margaret aka Maggie  Hagan   32  Female  Wife    Roman Catholic    City of Belfast  -Read and write  Married    14  6 [ 7 ] 4
the children
1. Owen  Smith  b ~1896-7 13  Male    Son Roman Catholic    City of Belfast  Scholar      Read and write  Single  could he be in 1918 Smyth, Owen, carpenter, 78 Servia Street or Owen Smyth, Owen, hair dresser, 279 York Street
2. Stephen  Smith   b1897-8  11  Male    Son Roman Catholic    City of Belfast  did he as Smyth  m1926  Elizabeth in Londonderry.-or could he be in 1918 Smyth, S., butcher, 12 Newtownards Road or Smyth, S., accountant, Laurento, Chichester Park      - 
3. Mary Eliza Smith b 1902 Co Antrim father Stephen might have died young
4. William  aka Billy  Smith  b1907-1979   4     Male    Son Roman Catholic    City of Belfast 
5. Henry Smith  b1908  Roman Catholic    City of Belfast 
6.  Vincent Smith father Stephen b 1903 in ancestryireland might have died young
7. Edward  Smithb 1911-2 Edward married Lucy Rooney from Sheriff St in the Short Strand and moved there after the marriage
also an aunt staying with themsee below

relatives from possible Co Tyrone there are dozens of Higgins Hagans Co Tyrone
but no Higgin spelling in Griffiths valuation

Margaret  Higgin  [Hagan?] 73  Female  Aunt    Roman Catholic    Co Tyrone Single   must be  relative of  Maggie  so  surely she Maggie  although stated to be born in City of Belfast is a Hagan/Higgin from Tyrone
are any of her relatives in Belfast
1877 lennonwyliehagans in belfast
 Hagan, James, linen lapper, 23 Craigmore Street
Hagan, Arthur, tailor, 79 Ross Street
Hagan, Dawson, spirit dealer, 28 & 29 Smithfield
Hagan, Isabella, grocer, 25 Nelson Street
Hagan, James, flax dresser, 66 Ardalea Street (Ardilea)
Hagan, John, mill manager, 61 & 63 Duncairn Street
Hagan, S. J., haberdasher, 146 & 148 Peter's Hill
Hagan, Thos., blacksmith, 9 Mountpottinger Road
Hagan, W. Weir, bread server, 24 Carlow Street
Hagans, John, salesman, 49 Smithfield
Higgins, Edward, merchant, Ardeen Villa, Antrim Road
Higgins, Joseph, millwright, 38 Theodore Street
Higgins, Robt., 3 Lonsdale Street
Higgins, Stephen, 5 Seaforde Street
Higgins, Wm., flax dealer, 13 Albert Place
good luck onwards

sundance_kid

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 10:20:05 PM »
Much appreciated Jim, I will show this to my grandfather and see if any of it jogs his memory.