Author Topic: University research - interviews wanted!  (Read 14811 times)

doare.

Re: University research - interviews wanted!
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2016, 10:43:05 AM »

You are entitled to your opinion. As someone who takes European Politics as a course, however, this isn't old news. Added to that, I meant to use it as an illustration, not as anything beyond that. Those who want to participate in the survey can by all means do so; those who don't, don't.
right on...it sometimes make me laugh to read some of these...is it the dour scots coming out?  
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?” ....shaw..

JackM

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2016, 12:48:58 PM »
its the oul madness, suspicion and fear....I answered it, like it was 4 harmless questions....no wonder things never change there.....lol

Didn't know that there were any `peace walls` in Vancouver. lol   :D
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

chi

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2016, 02:23:46 PM »

I've read that! Still, thanks for posting it here.

Your welcome.

Recent years have seen progress but also setbacks in the journey to convince people the barriers can go. Gates in the walls to allow easier access typically close overnight or on Sundays. In 2011, a gate at Belfast's Alexandra Park — Europe's only public park bisected by a wall, which was built in 1994 to stop the open space being used for sectarian clashes — opened for the first time, though only for a few hours a day. In the same year, a gate that divided access between the Shankill and Falls Road communities started opening on Sundays.

alexandra park belfast
“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

chi

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2016, 02:29:31 PM »
I am all for helping students achieve their goals but when I was doing my degree at university basing my studies or research on such a simplistic questionaire would just not be acceptable standard of evidence and honestly I wouldn't expect such to be accepted today.

To anyone considering doing an interview via Skype just remember it can be recorded and distributed electronically anywhere on the Internet so it is possible your video interview could be used or misused for years to come.

The same with the Belfast forum.
That's why forums have to be
moderated. :read: :hi:

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

chi

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2016, 03:21:34 PM »
An  Ardoyne picture
posted a few days ago 
by arder on B/F.  :drinks: :smitten: :angel:

BEST WISHES TO ALL IN BELFAST

Dot/dash

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2016, 04:26:55 PM »

:D
love me          love my gelding     

chi

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2016, 06:28:27 PM »

Permanent walls were built to separate Catholic and Protestant districts of Belfast in the 1970s, and the city is still scarred by almost 100 of them. Defensive architecture, it turns out, is easier to build than tear down

In segregated Belfast, there is little agreement about how to deal with the past, including peace walls.

Northern Ireland’s goverment has vowed to remove the peace walls, but no formal mechanism exists for dismantling them. Photograph: Jockel Finck/AP

Tuesday 29 September 2015 02.30 EDT

1971, a secret report by the Northern Irish government criticised the speed with which walls, gates and fences

Last modified on Friday 9 October 201506.08 EDT

the speed with which walls, gates and fences were being constructed in Belfast to separate Catholics and Protestants. The so-called “peace lines”, it said, were creating an “atmosphere of abnormality” in the city. But the Stormont report writers did “not expect any insurmountable difficulty” in bringing down the barricades once the violence had subsumed.

Now, more than 40 years after the British Army constructed the first of those barriers, Belfast is still scarred by them: corrugated iron fences, some as high as 18ft, topped with barbed wire. Defensive architecture, it turns out, is far easier to erect than tear down. The city’s gates and walls have become “part of the built environment”, according to Jonny Byrne, a lecturer in politics at the University of Ulster. “The Berlin Wall had to come down for Berlin to be normalised. We have normalised Belfast without taking down the walls.”

Indeed, Belfast’s defensive walls are arguably the most famous of those many “divided cities” riven by ethnic conflict. When I was in Mitrovica, Kosovo, another divided city, ethnic Serbs informed me what a putative peace-building trip to Northern Ireland had actually taught them. “We need bigger walls,” one said.

In fact, the number of barricades in Belfast has actually increased since the Good Friday Agreement brought the Northern Irish conflict to an end in 1998. A 2012 study found almost 100 walls, fences, gates and roads forming “interfaces” between communities across the city.

RebeccaK

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2016, 08:55:40 PM »
Wow. I would never have known about the Alexandra Park just from the literature I've researched. Thanks a lot for helping me out with this. :)

Dot/dash

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2016, 11:08:33 PM »

do you know Sandra 4400???     .   
love me          love my gelding     

RebeccaK

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2016, 11:10:57 PM »

do you know Sandra 4400???     .

No? Never heard of her?

doare.

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2016, 04:07:09 AM »
I lived 44 years in divis st...from 42 til 86. .that's the worst of the "troubles" accounted for  I would reckon, so I am totally qualified to give my 2d's worth....
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?” ....shaw..

doare.

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2016, 04:09:38 AM »

Permanent walls were built to separate Catholic and Protestant districts of Belfast in the 1970s, and the city is still scarred by almost 100 of them. Defensive architecture, it turns out, is easier to build than tear down

In segregated Belfast, there is little agreement about how to deal with the past, including peace walls.

Northern Ireland’s goverment has vowed to remove the peace walls, but no formal mechanism exists for dismantling them. Photograph: Jockel Finck/AP

Tuesday 29 September 2015 02.30 EDT

1971, a secret report by the Northern Irish government criticised the speed with which walls, gates and fences

Last modified on Friday 9 October 201506.08 EDT

the speed with which walls, gates and fences were being constructed in Belfast to separate Catholics and Protestants. The so-called “peace lines”, it said, were creating an “atmosphere of abnormality” in the city. But the Stormont report writers did “not expect any insurmountable difficulty” in bringing down the barricades once the violence had subsumed.

Now, more than 40 years after the British Army constructed the first of those barriers, Belfast is still scarred by them: corrugated iron fences, some as high as 18ft, topped with barbed wire. Defensive architecture, it turns out, is far easier to erect than tear down. The city’s gates and walls have become “part of the built environment”, according to Jonny Byrne, a lecturer in politics at the University of Ulster. “The Berlin Wall had to come down for Berlin to be normalised. We have normalised Belfast without taking down the walls.”

Indeed, Belfast’s defensive walls are arguably the most famous of those many “divided cities” riven by ethnic conflict. When I was in Mitrovica, Kosovo, another divided city, ethnic Serbs informed me what a putative peace-building trip to Northern Ireland had actually taught them. “We need bigger walls,” one said.

In fact, the number of barricades in Belfast has actually increased since the Good Friday Agreement brought the Northern Irish conflict to an end in 1998. A 2012 study found almost 100 walls, fences, gates and roads forming “interfaces” between communities across the city.
good info there chi, there has been more walls since the agreement...wow! it was a doomed setup from the getgo...the subsequent history confirms that...

bluebird

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2016, 09:10:12 AM »
I lived 44 years in divis st...from 42 til 86. .that's the worst of the "troubles" accounted for  I would reckon, so I am totally qualified to give my 2d's worth....
Doare I have lived in Belfast most of my life and the nearest I have come to the peace wall is pictures and film on telly! It maybe has outlived it's use ? ;
Hard Times,Bad times,Or Rough times.... I Still Have Faith in God.

McNamee

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2016, 10:00:52 AM »
Oh Bluebird, I don't know about outliving its use...Like yourself I don't live near one, but seemingly most people who do want them kept up...Sad but true. :-*

bluebird

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2016, 10:32:20 AM »
Oh Bluebird, I don't know about outliving its use...Like yourself I don't live near one, but seemingly most people who do want them kept up...Sad but true.  \ I know McNamee it's been a need here for far too long, If we are going to move forward it has to go but me sitting at a safe distance and someone is hurt with it gone! is it worth it ? ... Awful really Awful! :-\  just the thought of it, :-\ those living beside it are the brave ones  :-*
Hard Times,Bad times,Or Rough times.... I Still Have Faith in God.