Author Topic: University research - interviews wanted!  (Read 15383 times)

RebeccaK

University research - interviews wanted!
« on: February 29, 2016, 04:56:37 PM »
Hello all!

First of all, as I'm new to this forum, let me introduce myself. My name is Rebecca, I am a university student in the Netherlands where I study Spanish, German and European Politics. A lot of work, but a lot of fun as well!

I have always found Belfast a very intriguing, interesting place and that is why I am currently doing research on the city. My research has to do with the peace walls and how they are perceived by locals. As I didn't really know where to go to other than this forum, I figured it couldn't hurt to give it a try here.

If you are interested in having an interview taken - whether it be through e-mailing, writing a reply to this post or Skype - please let me know. My final research will not be published anywhere: only me and my lecturer will read it through. Of course, you will have the chance to read through the finished version for yourself.

I am looking for people from all sorts of backgrounds - be it religious or not - and would greatly appreciate if you took the time to answer a few questions.

Hope to speak to you soon!

Rebecca

RebeccaK

Re: University research - interviews wanted!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 09:00:57 AM »
Anyone?

doare.

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 09:22:42 AM »
Anyone?
hi Rebecca, this may be of some help, may give some background for further research.....http://ir.uiowa.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1001&context=iowa-historical-review
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

RebeccaK

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 01:47:41 PM »
Hey doare! Thanks a lot for your reply. The article has a lot in common with my research, so it's going to be very useful. It's just that I was looking for people living in Belfast as of 2015-2016, to reflect on their experiences regarding the walls (do they add anything to your life? Do you find them useful or useless, and why?) et cetera. It's mostly just practical aspects of the walls and whether you're happy with them or not.

Jamesbelfast

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 04:39:58 PM »
If we knew a bit more about you and exactly why you seek to interview people it may help.

As it stands we have no way of knowing if any comments would be made public or even if you are genuine.

You have to remember that in the past people from Northern Ireland made what they believed to be confidential statements to an American university only for the records of such to be made public.  So that may be a reason as to why people may be reluctant.

Good lick with your studies.

RebeccaK

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 04:57:24 PM »
If we knew a bit more about you and exactly why you seek to interview people it may help.

As it stands we have no way of knowing if any comments would be made public or even if you are genuine.

You have to remember that in the past people from Northern Ireland made what they believed to be confidential statements to an American university only for the records of such to be made public.  So that may be a reason as to why people may be reluctant.

Hi there James,

You are right, I do understand your concern completely and also understand that this is a sensitive subject to talk about. I can understand why people would be reluctant to talk about their personal beliefs, especially since some universities have been less professional in their way of going about confidential statements. I wish to interview people in order to add something to my research, as the Prime Minister doesn't speak for every single Northern Irish citizen, nor does the media. Actual people can add a lot of depth to my research as actual people are the ones who see these walls on a daily basis.

My research is about the peace walls and how they have affected society in Belfast: in how far have they succeeded in bringing peace? In how far do they influence citizens in their daily life? My research will take the form of a paper that will be graded by my lecturer and my lecturer only.

I value my own privacy as much as I value yours. If preferred, interviews could be held over Skype so that you can see whom you are talking to.

If you'd be interested in having a chat or completing a survey, send me a personal message. In the meantime, I will see what I can do in order to give you (and everyone else on this forum) a safer feeling about sharing your thoughts with me :)

Kind regards,

Rebecca

RebeccaK

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 05:11:57 PM »
Update: I have created an anonymous survey on google docs. If you wish to take it, tell me and I will send you the link.

Dot/dash

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 05:25:39 PM »

you are quite correct James       there has over the past year or two     been students who have requested

information for research projects      this person comes across as being very persuasive     has me doubting     
love me          love my gelding     

doare.

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 05:46:41 AM »
Hey doare! Thanks a lot for your reply. The article has a lot in common with my research, so it's going to be very useful. It's just that I was looking for people living in Belfast as of 2015-2016, to reflect on their experiences regarding the walls (do they add anything to your life? Do you find them useful or useless, and why?) et cetera. It's mostly just practical aspects of the walls and whether you're happy with them or not.
I just figured if you had some background then the present would be understood better.....I live in Canada now, I left 30 years ago, I lived right beside divis, was there when the trouble began...lived and experienced bombs gun battles....good luck with your research...
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not? ....shaw..

RebeccaK

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 10:48:36 AM »
In response to all of you that might be interested: I have created an anonymous survey. If you would like to take it, I will send it to you.

Bigali

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 10:51:20 PM »
For reasons I am not going to disclose on a public forum , I do not believe for one minute that this thread is genuine other than to say it's coincidental that you started this thread a few days after the peace walls started to come down, can't imagine that this was somehow headline news in the Netherlands.
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

RebeccaK

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 11:30:18 PM »
For reasons I am not going to disclose on a public forum , I do not believe for one minute that this thread is genuine other than to say it's coincidental that you started this thread a few days after the peace walls started to come down, can't imagine that this was somehow headline news in the Netherlands.

This is largely why I also offered to talk to people on Skype, so that they'd be able to see whom they are talking to and realise that indeed, I'm not some vile person from the media that seeks to stir up more conflict. Then again, this is just my luck and my perfect *ahem* timing. The previous semester, I wrote about the RAF (Rote Armee Fraktion - Red Army Faction) and they made national news last January, even in the UK.

Either way: I get your point.

Bigali

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 11:39:16 PM »

This is largely why I also offered to talk to people on Skype, so that they'd be able to see whom they are talking to and realise that indeed, I'm not some vile person from the media that seeks to stir up more conflict. Then again, this is just my luck and my perfect *ahem* timing. The previous semester, I wrote about the RAF (Rote Armee Fraktion - Red Army Faction) and they made national news last January, even in the UK.

Either way: I get your point.

I follow the news closely and have no recollection of Ulrike Meinhoff or Andreas Baader being in the news or indeed nything to do with the Red Army Faction
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

RebeccaK

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 11:40:08 PM »

I follow the news closely and have no recollection of Ulrike Meinhoff or Andreas Baader being in the news or indeed nything to do with the Red Army Faction

National news in the Netherlands, I meant, but I did find the Guardian article online: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/19/former-red-army-faction-members-linked-to-botched-robbery

RebeccaK

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 11:52:40 PM »

Now you're clutching at straws, that is a very old story for anyone who knows about European terrorism , give it up and admit you've been caught out.

You are entitled to your opinion. As someone who takes European Politics as a course, however, this isn't old news. Added to that, I meant to use it as an illustration, not as anything beyond that. Those who want to participate in the survey can by all means do so; those who don't, don't.