Author Topic: University research - interviews wanted!  (Read 17722 times)

Dot/dash

Re: University research - interviews wanted!
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 12:12:25 AM »

The Belfast peace walls

How long have you been living in Belfast for? Over all, do you find Belfast a nice place to live in?

Your answer

How do the peace walls affect you in your daily life? Do you find them useful, or completely useless? Why?

Your answer

Do you feel the peace walls generally succeed in keeping Belfast a safe city? Have they succeeded in bringing conflict to a minimum, in your opinion?

Your answer

For my research, I would like to talk to people from various backgrounds. Could you reflect on yours?

Your answer

If you wish to receive an e-mail once my paper is finished, leave your e-mail address below. Note: this is completely optional! You will be kept anonymous.

Your answer

SUBMIT

100%: You made it.
Never submit passwords through Google Forms.

this has to be the oddest questionnaire I've ever read       something doesn't quite add up Rebecca   
love me          love my gelding     

RebeccaK

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 09:09:41 AM »
Guys: you can keep going off-topic, but I am not really interested in conspiracy theories as to whether or not I am a legitimate person. I have offered to Skype with you, I offer an anonymous survey - if you don't want to take it, nobody is forcing you to. Nobody. Please, if you're not interested, just leave this thread alone.

And an answer as to why the status says it's "finished" in google forms: I made all of the questions optional, so that if someone were to feel bad about filling out one or more questions, they wouldn't have to.

Jamesbelfast

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 11:59:18 AM »
I am all for helping students achieve their goals but when I was doing my degree at university basing my studies or research on such a simplistic questionaire would just not be acceptable standard of evidence and honestly I wouldn't expect such to be accepted today.

To anyone considering doing an interview via Skype just remember it can be recorded and distributed electronically anywhere on the Internet so it is possible your video interview could be used or misused for years to come.

RebeccaK

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 12:33:09 PM »
I am all for helping students achieve their goals but when I was doing my degree at university basing my studies or research on such a simplistic questionaire would just not be acceptable standard of evidence and honestly I wouldn't expect such to be accepted today.

To anyone considering doing an interview via Skype just remember it can be recorded and distributed electronically anywhere on the Internet so it is possible your video interview could be used or misused for years to come.

Bear in mind that my research is not just about these interviews. They are meant to offer an illustration, not to comprise the whole paper.

My paper is about the peace walls, as stated before, and the effect they have had on society. For this paper, I am looking into annual police costs (I have picked costs made during parades as these are the events where groups often clash), secratisation (in how far are neighbourhoods mixed?) of Belfast, and how the walls are percieved by locals: what influence have they had on your life? These interviews/surveys serve no other purpose than to give a rough idea of how the walls actually influence locals. No more, no less.

Added to that: I use literature, newspaper articles etc. as other more reliable sources, so I think I'm good here.

chi

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 01:22:34 PM »

Bear in mind that my research is not just about these interviews. They are meant to offer an illustration, not to comprise the whole paper.

My paper is about the peace walls, as stated before, and the effect they have had on society. For this paper, I am looking into annual police costs (I have picked costs made during parades as these are the events where groups often clash), secratisation (in how far are neighbourhoods mixed?) of Belfast, and how the walls are percieved by locals: what influence have they had on your life? These interviews/surveys serve no other purpose than to give a rough idea of how the walls actually influence locals. No more, no less.

Added to that: I use literature, newspaper articles etc. as other more reliable sources, so I think I'm good here.

Congratulations! You have taken on quite a task.
This Belfast forum is a good place to start.  Doare
identified himself as having lived in that area before
going to Canada. The local community centers in that
area may also be a good resource for your study.  I
like doare have family/friends who live in Belfast. I
live in the USA formerly from Ardoyne

~ Bridget
“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

Dot/dash

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 01:43:56 PM »

O0 O0
love me          love my gelding     

chi

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 02:20:17 PM »
Guys: you can keep going off-topic, but I am not really interested in conspiracy theories as to whether or not I am a legitimate person. I have offered to Skype with you, I offer an anonymous survey - if you don't want to take it, nobody is forcing you to. Nobody. Please, if you're not interested, just leave this thread alone.

And an answer as to why the status says it's "finished" in google forms: I made all of the questions optional, so that if someone were to feel bad about filling out one or more questions, they wouldn't have to.

RebeccaK.

Folks have openly discussed the walls
on other threads. Its my sense that
when the leaders in stormont say we
are supporting /creating a friendly city
and these "peace"walls are coming down
so that the citizens/residents of Belfast
can re-unite in promoting peace/harmony.
Of course its going to take time to educate
the folks to un-learn and re-learn  how to
 be neighborly and undo the embedded hate
passed down through the generations :(

Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, or my kindness  for weakness.

Happy Harry

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2016, 03:24:50 PM »
What an unfriendly place this Forum is proving to be. One has to wonder what has happened in people's lives that makes them so suspicious of an innocent request. What harm can come to giving an anonymous response to a simple questionnaire if it enables someone to further their education. If it is a spoof so what?

I cannot answer the questionnaire as I have never been within a mile of a peace wall, so they have had no obvious impact on my life

The past is a foreign country. They do things differently there.

edmor

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2016, 09:55:23 PM »
What an unfriendly place this Forum is proving to be. One has to wonder what has happened in people's lives that makes them so suspicious of an innocent request. What harm can come to giving an anonymous response to a simple questionnaire if it enables someone to further their education. If it is a spoof so what?

I cannot answer the questionnaire as I have never been within a mile of a peace wall, so they have had no obvious impact on my life

I think the problem is people from N Ire. remember the last time they got involved with a Dutch person, that led to a bit of a punch up, added to that Rebecca's English is too good :)  she should be communicating in broken English at best eg "You vill do zis survey" thus triggering that N.Irish reaction "Ach God love her" and have people tripping over themselves to help.      :)
Pox vobiscum     Savagin'  done....chape.    Hillbillies caint spel     Proud to be a usual suspect     REM 1697

Bigali

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2016, 09:57:28 PM »

I think the problem is people from N Ire. remember the last time they got involved with a Dutch person, that led to a bit of a punch up, added to that Rebecca's English is too good :)  she should be communicating in broken English at best eg "You vill do zis survey" thus triggering that N.Irish reaction "Ach God love her" and have people tripping over themselves to help.      :)

:D
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

doare.

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2016, 10:22:09 PM »

its the oul madness, suspicion and fear....I answered it, like it was 4 harmless questions....no wonder things never change there.....lol
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?” ....shaw..

RebeccaK

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2016, 10:23:45 PM »

Well thank you, I'm flattered! If you've ever seen a Louis van Gaal interview, you'll have a fair idea of what most Dutch people sound like... :P

Please, fil out dis survee fur mee. It wil, ehh, defenetely hellep me out!

doare.

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2016, 10:31:09 PM »

How are you getting duped if you don't fill in the survey, though? You're making a fuss over nothing. There's nothing to fear about me. If I were a journalist, my boss would have to pay me mad money for all this!  :)
lol....Rebecca don't heed them...lol..just take what ye can and leave the rest....
"You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?” ....shaw..

chi

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2016, 11:49:35 PM »
Northern Ireland’s power-sharing government has
vowed to remove all the peace walls by 2023

40 years on, Belfast’s landscape is still scarred by the so-called ‘peace walls’.

Forty years on, Belfast’s landscape is still scarred by the so-called ‘peace walls’. Photograph:
 Brendan Beirne/Rex Features

RebeccaK

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2016, 07:29:15 AM »
Northern Ireland’s power-sharing government has
vowed to remove all the peace walls by 2023

40 years on, Belfast’s landscape is still scarred by the so-called ‘peace walls’.

Forty years on, Belfast’s landscape is still scarred by the so-called ‘peace walls’. Photograph:
 Brendan Beirne/Rex Features

I've read that! Still, thanks for posting it here.