Author Topic: Barry McGuigan  (Read 2281 times)

Jack Casement

Barry McGuigan
« on: March 03, 2016, 04:36:02 PM »
A few months ago,I was flying into the George Best City Airport and in the baggage hall I was standing beside Barry McGuigan.  I plucked up the courage and asked him if he could spare a few minutes  He politely said of course.  I told him I will always remember the night in 1985 he won the BBC Sports Personality of the Year trophy.  But I wanted to tell him why I remembered it.  Presenting the awards was Sir Stanley Rouse, and when he opened the envelope to announce the winner...at this point Barry interrupted me and said..."ah and he got my name wrong..."  Because Sir Stanley said..."and the winner is Barry Majiggian".  At this point the camera switched to Barry and he was rolling his eyes as much to say..."I finally win it and he gets my name wrong".  We had a good laugh at it, and it proves what a gentleman he is.  I was honoured to meet him and so pleased that he still remembered the occasion.

wxwelder

Re: Barry McGuigan
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 05:07:37 PM »

My Da listened to all his fights on the wireless

Astor

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 08:19:23 PM »
A few months ago,I was flying into the George Best City Airport and in the baggage hall I was standing beside Barry McGuigan.  I plucked up the courage and asked him if he could spare a few minutes  He politely said of course.  I told him I will always remember the night in 1985 he won the BBC Sports Personality of the Year trophy.  But I wanted to tell him why I remembered it.  Presenting the awards was Sir Stanley Rouse, and when he opened the envelope to announce the winner...at this point Barry interrupted me and said..."ah and he got my name wrong..."  Because Sir Stanley said..."and the winner is Barry Majiggian".  At this point the camera switched to Barry and he was rolling his eyes as much to say..."I finally win it and he gets my name wrong".  We had a good laugh at it, and it proves what a gentleman he is.  I was honoured to meet him and so pleased that he still remembered the occasion.

I have great admiration for Barry, both as a boxer and for all the community works he still gets involved in, heart of gold comes to mind  O0 .  Lucky you to have met him  :)
Que Sera Sera

tommytwotoes

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 09:31:52 PM »
I was lucky enough to have got two tickets for that
amazing night june 8th 1985 when wee barry won
the world title at loftus road against pedroza barry
came out from the first round and never stopped
punching him until the last round ,, a night I will
never forget ,, ASTOR you are correct he is an
AMBASSADOR  IN HIS OWN RIGHT
regards tommy