Author Topic: Toman's  (Read 1835 times)

chiggy

Re: Toman's
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 12:09:06 PM »
Morning CMcG,   Just touching base, I left a message with my mom's cousin yesterday  (Jean's Son).  He was down in Montreal on the weekend but his cell was off.  I am sure I will speak with him sometime this week or by email.  He wanted to talk for sure he said.  Certainly seems like he and his cousin (Mona's son) can give me more detail it seems. They have many photo's as well.  As soon as I get in touch with them and put some information together for you will get back to you.  Like you said and I agree seems like a John stayed so I will dig all info from them.   Thanks again for the help and chat soon enough.  Craig   

CMcG

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 12:56:34 PM »
No problem, any information they can provide about the family on the Ireland side of the pond may provide more hooks to follow.

:)

chiggy

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 01:19:55 PM »
For sure, I'm sure they have more info compared to my mom.  She had a lot but seems her cousins have more info and pictures as well.  Thanks again, have a great day and will keep you posted. craig

chiggy

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 01:31:22 AM »
Hi CMcG, how you doing,  So I received an email from mom's cousin (Jean's son)  As per his email below I know the ship came into Halifax, and the aunt that came along is the same.  They called her Aunt Jannie, but was Jane.  He will be digging up all info he has. I know he will have quite a bit. I emailed him back asking as well to let me know who stayed in Belfast and so on. He was going off memory so I am interested to see what he pulls out :)  As well he mentioned a neighbor that moved beside him.  Pretty interesting.  Anyway once he gets all his info I am sure I will have more.  Thanks

Email: From Jean's Son

I was very impressed on your research on the Toman family. When we visited Belfast in 2001 we included a little research on the Toman family. I went to a place called the Linen Library in Belfast where many records are held but for some strange reason it excluded the Catholic population. They do however have a source for that but we were unable to include it in our program as the place was some distance away. While I visited the aforementioned facility my wife Licia went to another place but little came of it as well.

I did observe some of your documents showing my mother's arrival  which contracticts other information I dug up. My mother was fourteen when she arrived in Canada with our aunt Janney. Mother's sister, Mona, also came on the same ship and she was 12 at the time. What I have is the arrival at the Canadian port which may have been Halifax or even Quebec City. I am going to go looking for my information and will confirmi if my details are accurate. In the 1970's our next door neighbor moved in and turns out they knew the Toman family. In fact, the Lawlor family to whom I am making reference, were very familiar with the Toman family. so much so that the lady (Joan by name) was engaged to a family member. She choose to marry Neil. She passed a few years ago. 
I will be in touch and I would be most pleased to talk you over the telephone.

CMcG

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2016, 04:27:44 AM »
Yes, the problem in visiting Belfast is knowing where to go, well up the list are the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI), which has a broad spread of historical records and the General Register Office Northern Ireland (GRONI) which has all the civil records, the former is a bit out of the City Centre, the latter is currently moving out of the City Centre, so hardly convenient.

Anyway, here is the small segment of Kathleen's 1923 passenger declaration showing where she was going and nearest relative where she was coming from, I deciphered the destination as Bickerdike Avenue, but ultimately was just guessing:

And here is a small segment from the 1923 passenger list, the ages might be slightly out, which wasn't unusual for the era, but the names and address are a giveaway:

chiggy

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2016, 12:10:24 PM »
Morning CMcG,  Thanks again I will forward this info to Jean's son.  No doubt we have the right info, we just need to dig up some extra info on this end that can help with the next step in the search.  Once I get much more from Jean's son will share it with you. I need more names on who stayed and so on.  See what he comes up with.   He must have more as he was in Belfast himself, so he has names ect..
Keep you posted.   Thanks again.   Craig

James James

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2016, 10:52:53 PM »
For a guess in post 19 BICKERDIKE AVENUE for the Montreal arrival address is an astonishingly good one, and it's correct. It's doesn't appear to be there today but it is listed in this 1918 Canadian document which has nothing to do with your topic. http://tinyurl.com/hum9y4g

Quai Bickedike and the Bickerdike Basin are in the port area of Montreal today, so chances are that is the area in which Bickerdike Avenue was located. http://tinyurl.com/jznf3ps http://tinyurl.com/jublyxh

chiggy

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 12:23:59 PM »
Hi James,  Yes your correct, that I believe was down in the port here in Montreal.  I don't think the street exists any longer under the same name.   But Thanks for the information.  I had great info as well from CMcG as well.   have a good day.

Alice Bartlett

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2017, 09:28:41 PM »
My name is Alice Bartlett (nee WALSH) I believe that your great grandmother Catherine and my grandfather William Walsh were brother and sister from 56 Springfield Road Belfast. Would love to find out more info about my uncle Jim Walsh Williams son who was my fathers brother believed to have died at the age of 25 in Montreal. Cant believe that I have just come across this info. Alice.

chiggy

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2017, 11:08:11 PM »
Hi Alice, I sent u a quick message as I was leaving work.  Interesting info. I spoke with my mom quickly to email her cousin as he may have more info. He actually went to Belfast years ago to look for more info as well.  I believe he has info on Walsh family as well. I actually have a picture of my great grandparents standing in their yard by their house. So yes she was Walsh married to Toman. My grandmother came over with her sisters Mona and Jean. I do know some other brothers did come over years later. Well let's chat soon and my name is Craig Higgins. There is just a lot of info to write here. If u have some Xtra info all helps and I will get in touch with my mom's cousin soon. That is son of Mona I believe. Jean had few kids as well. My email is [email protected].   

CMcG

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2017, 08:58:08 AM »

... The census return says "7 Children Born | 6 Children Living", the missing child was possibly Francis, a birth was registered in Belfast for a Francis Towman who was born on 2 May 1902 with mother's maiden name recorded as Welsh and a death was registered in Belfast for a 5 year old Francis Towman who died on 2 September 1907 ...

Found a bit more on this 7th child cited by the 1911 census for Francis Towman and Catherine W(a/e)lsh, it looks like his name was more properly Francis Gera(r/l)d Towman, sadly he was killed by a runaway horse, as this article from the Irish News and Belfast Morning News of 3 September 1907 explains:

The death registration corroborates this:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1907/05524/4548518.pdf

CMcG

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2017, 09:33:41 AM »
The parents of Catherine W(a/e)lsh who married Francis Towman were John Walsh and Jane McAlea (tbc, only one source for her surname so far), after 78 year old John Walsh died on 16 July 1914, both the Belfast Newsletter and Northern Whig carried an obituary for him in their editions of 20 July, touching on his military career, all of this was just before the outbreak of WW1 a week or two later:

CMcG

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2017, 10:41:34 AM »

Same obituary narrative in the Larne Times of 25 July 1914, but this time with a small picture: