Author Topic: Votes for Expat Brits  (Read 7489 times)

Model1

Votes for Expat Brits
« on: May 29, 2016, 07:01:56 PM »
 Hello.

I have lived abroad for over 15 years. I am disenfranchised.

Now I won't be allowed a say in the EU referendum by UK, the outcome
of which may have consequences for my own rights and future.

I was born and lived in Belfast for 22 years. 

What do you think?

JackM

Re: Votes for Expat Brits
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 01:01:50 PM »
Hello.

I have lived abroad for over 15 years. I am disenfranchised.

Now I won't be allowed a say in the EU referendum by UK, the outcome
of which may have consequences for my own rights and future.

I was born and lived in Belfast for 22 years. 

What do you think?

Not sure of the criteria applied to allow an absentee voter to vote ?  :(
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

Jamesbelfast

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 02:43:02 PM »
Do you have voting rights in the country you live or lived in?

Model1

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 04:32:33 PM »
The British Government told Euronews in February 2016 "The Government believes expats should retain their right to vote as long as they remain citizens"
Since 1985, anyone over 18 who has lived abroad for less that 15 years is eligible to vote in
British parliamentary and european elections.

British citizens living abroad for more than 15 years are automatically disenfranchised.

Why the arbitary 15 year time limit?

McNamee

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 05:10:41 PM »
I  think if you are living in another country you should not be allowed to vote....

JackM

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 05:49:02 PM »
I  think if you are living in another country you should not be allowed to vote....

Why ?  ??? ??? Surely, if you retain your British Citizenship.  :)
Justice for the Massacred of La Mon and other atrocities.  The TRUTH will set them FREE.
Justice for the RUC and British Army. Support Soldier F

McNamee

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 05:59:41 PM »
My opinion is if you do not live in the Country you should not have a vote....I think that is only fair...

tboy

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 08:32:45 PM »
especially if you want to vote to keep  auslanders  out and you are giving it'large' in some grip in Spain. :D

implaccable

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 08:49:12 PM »
It's bad enough having a few million Euro migrants living here & entitled to vote, we all know which way they will go, but for someone who has lived out of the country this past 15 years being allowed to vote & make a decision on our behalf, which won't affect them, as they aren't living here, man that takes the biscuit.
For once in my life, I am following the lead of the DUP, & I'm not of their persuasion.

Jamesbelfast

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 09:12:32 PM »
I'm all for people having the right to live in another country but if they intend to stay there for a prolonged period of time they should be given the right to vote in that country and pay their taxes in that country.  Democracy doesn't work when you leave your mother country and still hope to have an vote which may affect.  You can't have it both ways.  Some of us a old enough to remember a time when some people in Northern Ireland had two votes per person.  And yes 15 years is really pushing your luck.  You can't have your cake and eat it.

Personally I believe if you decide to live in another country you should participate in that countries society and that includes elections, abide by their laws, etc.  If you don't wish to do so why settle there in the first place.  The old saying "when in Rome" is apt in this particular case.  In my opinion the 15 year rule is much too long and if you want the right to vote in this country just come back and live in it.

Bigali

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 09:31:59 PM »
I'm all for people having the right to live in another country but if they intend to stay there for a prolonged period of time they should be given the right to vote in that country and pay their taxes in that country.  Democracy doesn't work when you leave your mother country and still hope to have an vote which may affect.  You can't have it both ways.  Some of us a old enough to remember a time when some people in Northern Ireland had two votes per person.  And yes 15 years is really pushing your luck.  You can't have your cake and eat it.

Personally I believe if you decide to live in another country you should participate in that countries society and that includes elections, abide by their laws, etc.  If you don't wish to do so why settle there in the first place.  The old saying "when in Rome" is apt in this particular case.  In my opinion the 15 year rule is much too long and if you want the right to vote in this country just come back and live in it.

Mmmm, valid point.
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

urneygirl

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 09:50:31 PM »
It's bad enough having a few million Euro migrants living here & entitled to vote, we all know which way they will go, but for someone who has lived out of the country this past 15 years being allowed to vote & make a decision on our behalf, which won't affect them, as they aren't living here, man that takes the biscuit.
For once in my life, I am following the lead of the DUP, & I'm not of their persuasion.

I'm an expat and I totally agree with your post.

edmor

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 10:36:18 PM »
I'm all for people having the right to live in another country but if they intend to stay there for a prolonged period of time they should be given the right to vote in that country and pay their taxes in that country.  Democracy doesn't work when you leave your mother country and still hope to have an vote which may affect.  You can't have it both ways. Some of us a old enough to remember a time when some people in Northern Ireland had two votes per person.  And yes 15 years is really pushing your luck.  You can't have your cake and eat it.

Mama always gave our spare votes to the poor Catholic family who came each week to scrub the half moon outside the front door. Leftover cake was always for them as well.    :)
Pox vobiscum     Savagin'  done....chape.    Hillbillies caint spel     Proud to be a usual suspect     REM 1697

Bigali

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 10:43:11 PM »

Mama always gave our spare votes to the poor Catholic family who came each week to scrub the half moon outside the front door. Leftover cake was always for them as well.    :)

Just realised what that quote is getting at  :D
Support Soldier F Support Soldier B

The courageous deeds and sacrifices of the RUC and UDR must never be airbrushed from history .

edmor

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 10:49:20 PM »

Just realised what that quote is getting at  :D

If Brexit goes [censored] up yis might have been glad of my vote.      :)
Pox vobiscum     Savagin'  done....chape.    Hillbillies caint spel     Proud to be a usual suspect     REM 1697

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy